• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier puppy to adult size and weight

dukesdaddy

is there a table to estimate the adult height and weight from the puppy size. i ask this as many of the Cavaliers we see are larger both in height and weight that the specs. mentioned in the books.
Our tri. is approaching 20 pounds and a few inches taller that the max. of 17 inches indicated in our books. Now that we are seeking a second Cav. I would like to obtain a smaller dog the fits the breeds specifications. many thanks

Dont take this as Gospel, but I think diet and exercise has a lot to do with it. It used to be thought that too much exercise i.e. road work done too soon would make a young dog leggy, and I know years ago exhibitors used to keep their show dogs crated to keep them small :eek:

Ive only just come back to Cavaliers after a 30 year gap. But somebody on here will be along in a mo to advise you.:)

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8704

Many breeders feel dogs grow more lanky and grow faster and maybe larger if fed puppy food. No studies to prove or disprove that.

The breed standard is 12 inches, not 17 at the shoulder. Breed standards are in the Library section here.

That said, I wouldn't get to hung up on the breed standard. I think many and (talking recently to breeders, and learning to my surprise) possibly most cavaliers being shown are now at the top end of the breed standard or over it in weight. I recently met a large group of breeder dogs and probably not one would have fit the breed standard in size or weight -- boys in particular seem to be seen as too small if within the breed standard.

I'd be very interested to know if this is true too in the US and whether the standard then needs to be rewritten if dogs are mostly over it in size now?

If you want a smaller dog, the only quarantee is to get an adult where you know the size. :)

Oops I guess the UK standard doesn't give a height at shoulder, my mistake! It does also say:

WEIGHT & SIZE: Weight - twelve to eighteen pounds. A small well-balanced dog well within these weights desirable.

So that size is only 'desireable' but not a requirement.

US standards are more specific on height.

CKCSC standard (US):

Size: Height 12 to 13 inches at the withers; weight, proportionate to height, between 13 and 18 lbs. These are ideal heights and weights; slight variations are permissible, and a dog should be penalized only in comparison with one of equal general appearance, type and quality. The weedy specimen is as much to be penalized as the oversized one.

ACKCSC standard (US):

Size, Proportion, Substance:

Size - Height 12 to 13 inches at the withers; weight proportionate to height, between 13 and 18 pounds. A small, well balanced dog within these weights is desirable, but these are ideal heights and weights and slight variations are permissible.

Me? Absolutely not. Not remotely interested in showing dogs myself, but I enjoy talking to breeder friends about the breed.

I think it is really hard to judge by puppy size. When we first went to see Bandit, he and his littermates were 5 weeks old. There was a pretty female in the litter that the breeder was concerned would wind up too big for the show ring. She was still way bigger than the other pupppies when we went to get Bandit at almost 9 weeks old. The breeder considered selling her to a pet home, but reconsidered. We were there this past weekend again, and she still has 2 of Bandit's littermates. They are all virtually impossible to tell apart in size. Bandit, one of his brothers, and the very large female now are almost identical except for their markings at 5 months. I think it would be hard to tell how big they will wind up if you try to judge based on their size as a young puppy.

puppy food comments

just a comment on the puppy food note, I know two breeders that feed all their dogs, breeders and puppies the costco puppy chow only. their dogs are all within the spec. per the breed standard generally the 13 to 15 pound and expected height.

Back