PDA

View Full Version : cavalier puppy on craigslist

Maggles
6th November 2008, 04:07 AM
i just saw this six month old puppy, listed for sale on craigslist.
does anyone have any advice on what to do?

:mad::mad::mad:

Maggles
6th November 2008, 04:08 AM
This was posted yesterday:

i fear for this little dog.

KingstonsMom
6th November 2008, 04:24 AM
Wow. Looking at that I feel almost as disgusted as I was today when I drove by a Petland that was plastered with signs reading "HUGE SALE!"

I don't know what else you can do other than flag the post. :(

ppotterfield
6th November 2008, 02:35 PM
You can contact Cavalier Rescue USA and they may contact and see if the person would be willing to turn the puppy over to Rescue, but given that they are asking $1600.00, I doubt it. The contact information is here: http://www.cavalierrescueusa.org/Rescue/html/contacts.html.

I do not want to judge these people without knowing all the facts but to need to rehome a six month old puppy because your apartment does not allow dogs seems the height of irresponsibility. I also blame whoever placed this puppy with them. Responsible, ethical breeders will make certain if you live in rental property that you are allowed to have dogs before a puppy ever goes home with you. My guess is the puppy came from a commercial breeder, internet sale or petstore. How sad for this beautiful little boy. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he finds a good forever home.

inca
6th November 2008, 02:39 PM
so ITS brown and white and called IT

lovely people of course

*Pauline*
6th November 2008, 04:06 PM
Yes I noticed that, how dare they call him "It" :mad: He's VERY expensive.

LittleAngelsPS
6th November 2008, 09:03 PM
I saw this and emailed them asking them to please consider giving him to cavalier rescue instead of asking above the odds for him he would be better off in a loving forever home.

I got a very agressive email back telling me to basically butt out this was the explination she gave:-

"My aunt passed away and her dog had puppies. One of em she kept and she was selling it already. the reason why it is so expensive is cause she paid for it to be properly trained so all the buyer needs to do is feed it and walk it and give it love.

So instead of having it go on the streets, we took it in anyways cause no one wanted it.

Just so you know, this puppy was pampered by a very wealthy woman.

So stop snooping around craigslist telling people what to do. "

She still refers to the poor thing as IT not even him or a name and she clearly knwos nothing about dogs. No normal person would try and make money out of a puppy just because he has had soem training the poor thing must be wondering why he isnt still getting "pampered". I really do hope he finds a good home soon. This woman isnt interested in the cavalier rescue though so i do hope someone who can afford her ridiculous price will give him a lovely home soon.

I cant believe people like this exist I really shouldnt have sent her anything but did wonder if she would be open to giving him to a rescue instead. :xfngr:

Lani
6th November 2008, 10:34 PM
Well, I just flagged it. I am pretty sure you are not supposed to be selling dogs on Craigslist and clearly that is what they are doing. Certainly does not look like a rehoming situation.

Maggles
6th November 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I've sent a note so at least I can let them know about rescue and find out more about the situation.

I suspect the choice would be clear between surrender to rescue (by the end of the week), or risk losing their apartment. I'll do my best. Poor little guy. Keep your fingers crossed. :xfngr::xfngr::xfngr:

Karlin
6th November 2008, 11:11 PM
I will also wager that is not a picture of their puppy but a pic off a website somewhere.

The idea that no one would take a cavalier is pretty ridiculous. They are selling at higher breeder prices though.

I am removing the links now as it is not OK to link to dogs for sale, whatever the context. This forum is solely for rescue dogs. :thmbsup:

Lani
7th November 2008, 12:06 AM
I will also wager that is not a picture of their puppy but a pic off a website somewhere.

This happens a bit more often I think than we ever even know about.

A few months ago, Davy sent me a PM to a link on GumTree (I guess a kind of British Craigslist?). Someone was selling a "rare ruby cavalier" and guess whose picture was on it? Lucky's! Davy recognized it. The ad was supposedly for a 2 year old ruby and the picture was of Lucky at 10 weeks. And you KNOW I wasn't selling him.

Karlin
7th November 2008, 12:15 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

And a 'rare' ruby!!

That puppy pic on the ad looked familiar to me -- and also looked like it wasn't someone's BYB cavalier from their mother's litter.

Maggles
7th November 2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks Karlin, I'm sorry for breaking the rule.

The poster also emailed me back with a story about her aunt being divorced, not dead. Clearly this is just a big mess.

Thanks to the people that flagged the post. My initial concern was that this could be a stolen dog put up for resale. But I haven't seen any local lost and founds. I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

Karlin
7th November 2008, 01:18 AM
It sure looks odd to me -- something not quite making sense.

I know you were posting it with good intentions. If people want the link they are welcome to PM you directly. Maybe someone can report if the ad gets pulled.

I am no longer surprised at the lies told by people in order to sell dogs.

chloe92us
7th November 2008, 02:13 AM
Unfortunately, selling dogs on craigslist IS allowed. I posted this link on the other board b/c someone actually got a FREE Cavalier off craigslist and they all paruse the listings looking for dogs to take into rescue.

Anyway, I never thought about dogs being listed on Craigslist, but for those of you involved in rescue (and I am too now! :) ) here is a way to search regionally on craigslist using keywords (i.e. Cavalier Spaniel).

www.craigshelper.com

Check it out!

Maggles
7th November 2008, 02:44 AM
chloe, wow, that link is just what i was looking for, thank you!!

i've just heard from friends, the ads have come down as 'flagged.' but you might have to refresh the page if you saw it before.

Lani
7th November 2008, 03:10 AM
Unfortunately, selling dogs on craigslist IS allowed.

Actually, sale of dogs is NOT allowed on Craigslist. Small rehoming fee is allowed and the $1600 and $2500 price tags on those ads were clearly not rehoming fees.

It's the 11th bullet on this list of prohibited items and is stated on the top of the pets pages.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

daveoirl
7th November 2008, 02:21 PM
If it is prohibited can't the original post not be reported?

Also, I love the fact that the response from the seller was that they are charging that price because their "wealthy aunt" paid for professional training. So if their Aunt is now passed away, why do they feel the need to recoup those Aunts losses?
They didn't spend the money in the first place, so all they are trying to do is make a quick buck. Very lame excuse which doesn't hold any water.

brotymo
7th November 2008, 04:24 PM
If it is prohibited can't the original post not be reported?

Yes, on the right side of the screen you will see this and you should click prohibited:

please flag (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/flags_and_community_moderation) with care:

miscategorized (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=16&postingID=909338478)
prohibited (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=28&postingID=909338478)
spam/overpost (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=15&postingID=909338478)
best of craigslist (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=9&postingID=909338478)

When enough people flag the post, it gets removed. Here on my local craigslist, pet ads get flagged off pretty fast. I actually look on craigs list and send emails to people giving dogs away "free to a good home" with advice and links about he dangers of not charging a rehoming fee, and give them some links to good information to help rehome their pet safely and responsibly. A few times people have thanked me, and noone has ever told me off since the advice isn't condemning or critical, it is meant to educate to the risks to dogs offered "free to good homes".

chloe92us
7th November 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for pointing out the prohibited sale. I did not read that closely enough!