• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Adding a new puppy - advice needed re flea and worming

shippers

We are collecting our new puppy on 22nd Nov!!:p We already have Sally our 20 month old and regularly frontline and worm her with Drontal. I'm wondering what is the best way to go about ensuring we do not bring any fleas or worms into our home when we introduce our new puppy? The puppy has been regularly wormed and fleaed at the breeders but I want to be sure. Any advice appreciated

New Pup

Firstly, congats on new puppy (y)

If I am bringing a new dog into the house I tend to flea and worm them the second they walk in the door. Unless the breeder can prove without a doubt that the pup has been done regularly I would treat them. Pups esp pick up these little problems very quickly and it's better safe than sorry!

I have found it is pretty easy to tell if a pup has fleas. You might comb over him with a flea comb to see if you get any, and really look at the belly, behind the ears, etc. If the puppy is flea-free, you might just have the vet do a fecal to check for worms when you go in for a health checkup or shots.

We are bringing home our new puppy on the 22nd as well!

Great! We will be able to help each other along! She's a tricolour and so tiny compared to Sally. I think I will buy a flea comb and comb her through before taking her home. Then book an appointment at the vets on Monday morning to get their advice. Definitely don't want fleas in the house or on Sal. I'm excited but a little apprehensive in case Sal doesn't take to her. I've read the advice on adding a new puppy and ordered Ian Dunbars book. :xfngr:

Back