• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

introducing new puppy to our cavalier

dukesdaddy

we have a 1.5 year old tri who was acquired at 4 months so he has spent considerable time with the wife and myself. yesterday we purchased an 8 month Blem. also a male. at the breaders they were fine, did not play together but that may be part to the other dogs around. also our dog has not learned to play with other dogs as he meets other dogs only during walks. at such meetings he is fine and appears to enjoy the sessions.
once home our older tri became very aggressive and could not be trusted with the puppy, had to pull the tri off several times. of course, now the puppy is uncomfortable and afraid to leave our side.
Is this normal, how is the situation alleviated. many thanks for comments

I have a similar problem with Charlie, although he's only 12 weeks and Poppet is 8 weeks.

Charlie was find in person, but when at home started to play very rough - although never hurting her - the chasing and jumping on her did, and still does scare her.

Charlie does let her win now however, and completely unnecessarily falls as if she knocked himdown so she can pounce on him.

They have pulled chew toys together, but it is mostly fighting.

I'm therefore trying to get themmore interested in their chew toys than each other, and it's gradually working - although they are still seperated by the xpen pretty much 95% of the time.

Hi,

You will find helpful advice if you search "Introducing a New Dog" on google. There are lots of links to read.

There is a right way to do it and it sounds as if your Tri hasn't had enough time to get acquainted with the new pup on neutral territory.

There is a lot you can do to save any friction between them. Many dog training books will advise on this situation too, so do let us know how you get on.

I hope they become friends.

Are these both unneutered males? That is also likely to be a source of problems. An 8 month old is exactly at the point where he may either challenge an older male he hasn't met or the older male may attack him as an unwanted challenger. Intact males do not tend to take kindly to other new intact males on their territory.

As noted above there are good ways to go about doing introductions that would help. :) Most dogs are not very happy at th sudden arrival of a new dog, adult or puppy. It takes a while but tends to resolve itself and will need management (eg they should never ever be left alone until after several weeks, you are sure they are fine together). But I would not keep two intact males in these circumstances -- get at least one neutered.

I brought home a 4 mo. male Blenheim to my 8-1/2 yr. neutered male Tri on October 23. They also had met at the breeders and seemed to be fine. I introduced them in the back yard, and the older dog just evaded the pup. Upon going in the house, he snapped at the pup whenever the pup came close to him. He'd also snap if I picked the pup up. So the pup spent alot of time in his bed the first day or two--avoiding any confrontation. (I didn't interfere much between them.) The third day he was more tolerant but still a little "sulky." He wouldn't even greet my husband when he came home from work -- just like he was punishing us for bringing the pup home. Bottom line, within 10 days there was no more "snapping."

Each day got better. We drove 2-1/2 hrs. each way this past weekend to our home at the Jersey Shore. The older one had always made the trip on my lap. I put a blanket across the back seat. Put the pup in first and Casey second. Within 10 min. they were snuggled up together. I would have never imagined it from the first week!

One thing I did from the beginning: Casey sleeps in a crate in our rec room at night. I put Alfie's crate right beside his from the start. It worked out very well--he slept all night from day one. I think this also helped with the "adjustment" of a new pup.

Just wish to give some helpful advice - it isn't a good idea to pick up a new puppy in front of the established dog. Dogs read this as the puppy gaining a higher place in the hierarchy.

It is also important to always give precedence to the established dog in all things. Feeding, treating, going through doors etc. These things really matter to dogs.:)

Eventually two dogs will sort out hierarchy between them and to have a happy, peaceful life we need to recognize who is the leader between them and not interfere. This will stop the dominant dog from having to show his authority.

I'm reading this thread with interest because we will be picking up our puppy Max on November 22nd. Mindy is a 10 1/2 year old Cav. She is not used to being the only dog but has been since our Golden died in September. I can't say she likes it much but I'm sure there will be some jealousy issues to deal with at first. She has never snapped at anything in her life but she is a pretty good sulker. Luckily there are two laps in the house for the dogs. I would be devastated if she doesn't adjust because at her age she doesn't deserve to feel unappreciated but I know she is lonely (as hubbie and I are) since her four legged companion died and her other two legged companion (our son) went away to school. He used to tease her all the time so if I were her I wouldn't miss him but apparently she does.

"Picking up a puppy"

I realize this is a bit ambiguous. When I said "Pick up a puppy" I'm talking about lifting the pup up in your arms cradling it.

It is better not to lift a newcomer in this way, as it can cause jeolousy.

I know this is really old but did it all end up working out? Bentley got a new cavie sister 6 days ago, it is getting better every day but he was furious when we got into the house with her, even though they met on neutral grounds. (they were fine on neutral ground)
He got really territorial, and was snarling at her when we first got home, he was trying to dominate her too. I am not allowing any of it in MY home (not his but MINE) I have been firm, it is getting better but still not 100% he still tries a hump here and there, and he HATES it when she plays all crazy and starts barking at her.. they also keep trying to steal each others bully sticks and toys lol

BTW Bentley IS neutered (was at 7 months old)

Last edited:
BTW I will get pics up soon her name is Velvet, she is a black and tan 9 week old girl, from mri'd parents!!!

Back