• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance

islewriter

Can anyone advise on which 'Pet Insurance' Scheme is the most suitable for Cavaliers - here in the UK:)

Yes definitely agree with Pauline too - AXA. Best policy at best price (that I could find anyway)

My pet insurace is with argos who underwrites are Axa very good cover has well
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

At a glance, you're going to need platinum cover with Argos to get cover beyond 12 months for an ongoing condition. The price looks ok. Compare with AXA with the free quote facility, Though the excess is £60 with Argos it's only £50 with AXA.

Last edited:
We use PetPlan, which is by no means the cheapest BUT covers the dog for the life of the condition. The premiums are expensive once the dog reaches 8 years old (we pay nearly £27.00/mth for Cailean and for Cazy), and the excesses are £65 or £85 once the dog reaches 8 y/o.

I would estimate Cailean has cost me around £1500 in insurance premiums so far, but his vet bills over the past 2 1/2 years must be around £3000. After a vet visit on Friday costing £170 in meds, we are very pleased to be insured with Pet Plan.

Like I said, AXA do the same cover as Petpaln. Brian changed from petplan to AXA and made a huge saving. However, if your dog has an existing continuing condition, it's not a good idea to change insurance company or an previous conditions may be excluded.

I have just changed from Marks & Spencers to AXA direct. AXA used to underwrite Marks & Spencers policy’s, once M&S changed to (Sun Alliance I think) the price went sky high. AXA are main insurers that underwrite for a lot of different companies if you go direct with AXA they are the cheapest with the best cover. Specially having Cavaliers it was important to me that a condition is covered for live.

Pauline & Brian recommended AXA. And my breeder had good experience with AXA. One of her rescue cavaliers had diabetes and AXA paid out £ 3,000. But I always say you never know how good your insurance is until you need to use it. That’s why I ask on here if people had experience with AXA.

Sabby

I had the same experience with Marks and Spencers. They did a good year where there was no excess. They soon wised up and the excess shot up to £70 and the premiums nearly doubled. I didn't know they changed underwriters.

Im with direct line advanced policy for my 2 cavaliers.
Having a wee look at AXA as it maybe worth changing.
I am 30 pounds for my moggie and my 2 cavaliers.

Im with direct line advanced policy for my 2 cavaliers.
Having a wee look at AXA as it maybe worth changing.
I am 30 pounds for my moggie and my 2 cavaliers.

I had a look at Direct Line and the price is good, but when I looked online I didn’t find a cover for live. They cover for £ 7,000 per illness.

Sabby

I had the same experience with Marks and Spencers. They did a good year where there was no excess. They soon wised up and the excess shot up to £70 and the premiums nearly doubled. I didn't know they changed underwriters.

Yes they have changed Underwriters. I saw it on my renewal policy last month.
But then my husband said that Sun Alliance is part of AXA.

Sabby

Hi

To my knowledge proper cover for life wit renewable benefits every year for the same illness only three.

AXA Best and the cheapest as Pauline stated after her advice I switched from Pet Pals to Pet Plan then again to Axa and with three girls but all young and healthy I saved £500 for the year and thats excluding my two cats.

Pet Plan

and

Pet Pals

Take Paulines advice go with Axa

Insurance Quotes

Murphy has Petplan insurance at the moment, from his breeder. I was looking at Direct Line Pet Insurance and as we are insured with them for other things the quote was £9 something per month.

The AXA plan looks very good, but that would be double the price. I shall have to compare the details, to see if the are any benefits for paying the extra.

Direct Line is certainly worth looking at anyway.

Rosie my 2 ½ year old is around £ 9 a month with AXA, but my 11 week old puppy is £15 a month. I think puppies are more expensive. Direct Line would have been my second choice; the only thing is when your £7,000 run out for one illness they won’t cover for that illness again. If your dog has diabetes, SM or MVD the money soon will accumulate.
Brian
In AXA’s insurance papers it says, that if you keep renewing your insurance your dog is covered for live meaning live means live. I have to read through the documents again.

Sabby

Back