• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Petal is to thin

LScallon

Hi does anyone have a recommentaion on How to fatten up a little Bitch she is 15 months and she has a sensitive anul glands so I am looking for something to put on weight on her that she will eat as she is a fussy eater to.
Petals Mammy
Laura:confused::bang:

I have a 15 month old who is the same. For the past 2 weeks I have been giving viyo elite and she's eating everything I give her.
Lesley and girls

Thin Dog

Try Royal Canin "Sensible" - it's higher in calories than the standard RC food so should be a good way to put weight up. I use it with very underweight dogs and it works a treat!

Has your vet actually said she is underweight? I'd say most cavaliers are usually at a good weight when people think they are too thin -- you should be able to see a 'waist' when viewed from above. This is a breed that is better at a lean wight because of the heart issues most will face, sooner or later.

I'd recommend reading this page on feeding (including fussy eaters) from breeder Laura Lang and checking the views of cavalier waists. :)

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

A lot of fussy dogs suddenly stop being fussy if they are fed in a crate and given a set time of about 10-15 minutes to eat, and if owners don't try to cajole them to eat. For the dog, the extra attention they get is well worth holding out on eating. That might help solve the fussiness issue immediately.

If you really need to add calories for a while, try adding some salmon oil daily-- a teaspoon or two. Also make sure your girl has had a thorough vet check- - worms or a health problem could also be causing stomach sensitivity and low weight. You want to make sure there is no underlying cause before trying to make her eat more calories. (y)

Back