• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Farm

LizzieM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knew of why there is such a large puppy farm movement amongst amish communities!? I was surprised (don't know why). Any ideas why this is?

Just wondering...

Liz

Sorry to say that it has to do with puppy farms
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

They have defended it on the Biblical basis that God gave man dominion over the animal kingdom... and many have little sentimental feeling towards dogs and are quite happy to farm them in cages like other livestock. The more cynical would add that they also do not tend to allow outsiders onto the farms so what they do there goes largely unseen. And that they have a generally wholesome image so people find it hard to believe that this community could exploit animals in this way. Obviously puppy farming isn't something that everyone does, but some in the community have no scruples about farming dogs just as you'd farm chickens.

There was an article about this in People magazine a couple of months ago. It was the first I'd ever heard about it. Apparently, Pennsylvania is really cracking down on it, thank goodness. Karlin's right--the Amish claim that since animals are lower down on the hierarchy than humans are, there's no moral problem with treating them inhumanely. I've also read that some Amish farmers are shooting their dogs in order to avoid being fined or prosecuted. They'll hear that the government is about to make a raid, and they'll kill the animals before they get there to "destroy the evidence." :eek: One man is trying to prevent this from happening (can't remember his name), but the article said he'll get a call from a farmer saying something like "You have 45 minutes to get here and take some of these dogs before I shoot them." He's been kept very busy going from one puppy farm to another trying to save the poor creatures.

Lori

I'm not far from Lancaster County and 64 yrs. old. The Amish have raised dogs since I was a child. One farm would raise Sheperds, another--collies, another--poodles, etc. Only within the last twenty years has it expanded to "puppy farms" (and I don't believe there are as many of these farms as the media suggests). I put the blame squarely on the public for patronizing these farms. In our area everyone knows their ads in the paper and avoids them. I had a breeder tell me a family came to see a puppy and didn't tell him they had just looked at pups in Lancaster County and infected all his pups with Parvo.

I was really surprised at this too, I started reading about the Amish community as I was doing some Amish based cross stitching and wanted to know more about them. They do have an almost innocent image so it's not surprising no-one could believe they puppy farm.
I have also read the media are blowing things out of proportion, it's hard to know who to believe.

One word -- profits. If we make it unprofitable, they will quit doing it.

I have to admit, every time I pass an Amish farm, I wonder what's in the barn... It is very upsetting.

This just incenses me! In particular the logic that they use to justify their commercial ventures. Livestock? I think not!!!!! If they really feel that way then, the next time one of their children is lost or a loved one is buried under a pile of rubble ..... go get a cow to aid in their search and rescue. They simply disgust me.

Marilyn -- not really sure they would be bothered by your offering to have a cow help look for their kids. Unfortunately, children don't fair much better than the livestock in these communities. I live in central Kansas, near a large Amish community. The hypocrisy is unbelievable and any time I think our country has progressed past sexism, I don't have to look very far.

Tara--Sorry, I've gotta' stand up for Lancaster Co. here in PA. Maybe all communities are not alike. I see wonderful, happy, generous women and children doing what our grandparents did years ago. In the winter they flood their fields and you see loads of families ice skating together; in nice weather the kids do do chores, but also play hopscotch, hide and seek, hockey, and lots of other outside games (no obesity there). They conserve like no other group in the USA. They always hang out their wash, and the towels always look 20 years old. They make their clothes, can their vegetables, use windmills for electricity -- maybe like we'll all be doin' soon if cap & trade and all the global warming legislation gets passed.

Such a contrast isn't it?? Mom and I were just talking about that yesterday when she asked me "what is a puppy mill?" Think she got more of an answer than she was bargaining for (I am here in South Carolina for a visit with my family). I've always admired the Amish for their simple, down to earth ways. I used to travel with my grandfather to Pennsylvania for his dealings with the Amish (he was a horseman) and always thought they had such a fascinating culture. I understand (but do not agree!!!) with where their thinking comes from. It saddens me to see their auctions. For what I thought were such simple and gentle people their auctions are horrendous!!

I'm sorry for speaking so harshly:eek: I wrote out of emotion and frustration at some of the things I've seen over the years. I certainly don't want to be prejudicial and implicate an entire group of very peaceful, deeply religious, extremely hard working people. I do admire many of the ways in which they live their lives, but the treatment of animals, women and children can at times be quite hard for me to comprehend.

Again, I should not have made such a blanket statement and I apologize if I offended anyone. Emotion got the best of me!

Back