PDA

View Full Version : Whispy dog hair....makes her look huge!

leesanlucie
12th November 2008, 07:58 PM
Hi All
My adult cavalier will be 3 in feb 09.
Her coat is a decent length but at the side of her ribs all the way to her back leg thighs it is really whispy!It seems to grow out the way.

There is basically no defined waist to see unless she is wet,or is wearing a jumper.She basically looks rather plump! :O (Been seen at vet today actually and was told no she isnt overweight).

I just wondered if any of you guys who show their dogs had any ideas on this.
I have had people in the street make comments on how she has no waist n maybe nees a diet :O
She has been hand stripped twice but that was over 18mths ago and since then I have let her hair grow(well apart from the groomer who hacked her feathering from her legs :O).She basically looks like she has the body of a westie...chunky!
Even though its cosmetic i just wondered if anyone could offer any help!

THanks for any replies :thmbsup::thmbsup:

diddy
12th November 2008, 09:03 PM
Years ago breeders/exhibitors used to use Silverkrin Hair Tonic (its still available). You'd sprinkle a little of the liquid onto the dogs body/ears and gently massage it in using circular motions.

Its bright green in the bottle, but dont worry about that as it isnt when you rub it in. I think its something to do with the gentle massaging it in that encourages the hair to strengthen and grow. I used it on my daughter last year when she complained that her hair was thinning and it did a brilliant job.

There was also a widely used supplement in the form of a powder which could be sprinkled onto food called Mirracoat. I dont know if that is still available though.