PDA

View Full Version : reaction to rabies shot?

sunshinekisses
13th November 2008, 02:45 AM
Sunshine got her 3 year rabies shot today and now she is hiding in her crate...she doesn't want to come out and when I made her come out her tail was tucked. Do you think the shot is making her feel ill?

brotymo
13th November 2008, 10:49 PM
Has she had the rabies before with no problems? The 3 year rabies is the same formula as the 1 year (that is according to my vet), so it shouldn't be a problem if it hasn't been in the past.

sdarone
14th November 2008, 12:59 AM
When Charlie got his 1 year rabies shot he developed a hard bump on his neck. The vet said sometimes they have reactions like that. It took 2 weeks but it finally went away.

I hope she's okay.

cy1266
14th November 2008, 04:12 PM
I would call your vet. Have you felt the area where the shot was given to see if there are any lumps? In the future there are things that you can give that are supposed to help prevent any negative reactions (I give Lyssin from my homeopath vet). My Truman got really sick from the Parvo vaccine but was fine with the Rabies vaccine (he wasn't given any homepathic remedies/supplements before his Parvo vaccine). The Rabies can be hard on them so I would make sure there's nothing serious going on...is she eating normally?

sunshinekisses
16th November 2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks, she is feeling better and totally herself the next morning. I think the shot may have caused her tiredness but I can't be certain.

WoodHaven
16th November 2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks, she is feeling better and totally herself the next morning. I think the shot may have caused her tiredness but I can't be certain.

People are the same way... If your bodies immune system was busy dealing with other issues (even minor ones) an inoculation can make you tired or even a bit ill. My daughter works in the health care field and opted to get a flu shot (a bit to my dismay), she was ill for 4 days later.

ilsamom
16th November 2008, 02:15 PM
my dog always sleeps all day after a shot. I joke she's angry with me for taking her, but the vet said it's just a normal reaction unless you have vomiting or pain.

i'd still call the vet though, if you're concerned.