• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stars got her appointment on monday

sugarkane74

The AHT phoned yesterday and they've booked her in for a consultation on monday at 9 15 am and will also MRI at the same time. That was a bit unexptected as I thought we'd just be discussing her symptoms and seeing if there was any need for an MRI but I guess at least that way I will know either way.

Am quite scared about it. I keep wondering if maybe I'm being totally OTT and paranoid about it but I know what I am seeing isn't quite right and she did yelp last night then twist round to nibble at her back leg/tail (not sure which) so I think I'm doing the right thing.

Gonna have to set out at about 6.30 am though as it's in Newmarket which according to the AA route planner is 2 hrs 15 mins away.

I be thinking of you on Monday and hoping that everything turns out ok. I bet you are scared but you are not OTT or paranoid. It’s better to know now then wait for later. At least if it is nothing you can put your mind at rest and if they find anything you can get the right treatment straight away. My Husband thinks I am paranoid as I am always on the lookout for signs.
Is Newmarket the nearest one to where you live?

Sabby

Well I'm always worrying now everytime I see her scratch/nibble so at least it will put my mind at rest.

I think Chester is slightly nearer but I asked my vet and she says personally she thinks the AHT is the best so can't really say fairer than that for a few extra miles. It's not one of the low cost centres, it's gonna be 1500k :eek: but my insurance will cover it. Spoke to the AHT and they say they've got some forms there to claim from Petplan and I will just hae to pay the excess.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :xfngr:
It’s good that you don’t have to find the money upfront only the excess.

Sabby

Hope you get a good result on Monday. Dont get yourself in too much of a panic over this.

We had a shih tzu dog who I got as a 9 month puppy. Right from the start he would scratch with his back leg every time I brushed his neck/shoulder on one side during grooming. (we thought it tickled him). Every now and then he would do a couple of ' Bunny Hops' where he went to scratch his ears etc and missed- (we laughed at him). He thoroughly enjoyed his walkies and was always ready for a romp especially when our cats used to follow behind diving in and out of the bushes.

He was sadly pts at 14 years of age when it became obvious that he was no longer really enjoying his life. He slowed down, no longer enjoyed grooming sessions and preferred to hide under tables, or seek out a dark place facing away from everyone.

Im telllng you this because it was a few months after he was pts that the PDE programme was shown on TV and we found this site. For 14 years Pepe had lived with SM and we had no idea !! I worked in a vets at the time and even though he had all the regular check ups, dentals etc no-one picked ever up on it.

So, you see, its not necessarily a terribly painful condition. Of course now that we are aware of the symptoms we are all on the lookout all the time.
I have every sympathy for those friends on this board whose dogs are having a hard time of it ( I often have sleepless nights having read that someone is really worried about their dogs), but I just wanted to re-assure you that its not the end of the world.

Now we have little Amber whom we love to bits, and another older dog who will (hopefully) be joining us tomorrow. We are aware of the spectre of SM and :xfngr: very much hope it doesnt hit again, but know that, if in the future it does, we will be armed with all the knowledge picked up from this site, we'll be amongst friends, and we'll deal with it.

Best wishes,

Hello

I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to wish you and Star luck on Monday. My boy Ben was scanned at the AHT three months ago and I have to say that they were excellent. The neurologist first did a thorough consultation with a neurological and health examination and then Ben underwent the scan whilst we spent the day in Cambridge. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with SM. The aftercare has been very good and I'm often in touch with the neurologist. I was also quite scared about the whole thing, but it was worth going to the AHT because I now know what is going on and Ben is feeling a lot more comfortable. It was the not knowing that was difficult. Good luck on Monday.

Anne & Ben

I will be thinking of you on Monday and will hope for the best
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

I'll be thinking of you. I know just how stressful this can be so please feel free to PM me to talk about it if you like. :hug: I hope someone will go with you? I wasn't expecting the MRI to be done the next day. I didn't know I'd have to leave Dylan there, I was in shock when they told me. Just incase they keep her overnight, be prepared mentally for that.

I'll be thinking about you, too, and hoping everything goes well. I know this is scary. You're doing the right thing by getting her checked out. I have a good feeling that she'll be okay. However, if, God forbid, Star has SM, then it's best to know earlier rather than later. There are probably all sort of treatment options out there, and catching it early would be ideal. She's lucky to have someone who obviously cares so much about her.

Hang in there!

Lori

Back