• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what's that weird sound

chloe'sdee

After reading Ciren's message about her dog making a strange sound
it made me think of this. Chloe used to do it more often, now it's only
once in a while. I was horrified when she did it for the first time, talked
to the vet, and he explained it. Here is some info and a video...

This is pretty common. A dog owner calls a vet or emergency clinic because they think their dog is making some strange choking-type noise. And he is doing it over and over.

They describe some weird noise their dog is making- it's not quite a choke, it's not vomit, it's not a cough and it's not a sneeze. Most dog owners describe it as being more like a sudden and repeated gag. What the dog is actually doing is called a reverse sneeze . It can be normal for some dogs and scary for pet owners that have never seen it. We have a video of what it looks like in the article.

video...
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/revers...petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

You can also stop this quickly by holding your fingers over the dog's nostrils for a little while and push the head down so the dog's nose points to the floor. When your dog makes this sound, air is pulled rapidly in through the nose and when you do what I've been describing the dog can't breath with his nose and he starts to use his mouth, and then he can breath normally again :D

Dawn - thank you so much for that video. Whenever I've heard about reverse sneezing, I assumed that was what my dogs were doing. Now I know for sure. Thanks.

Aw thank you so much for that!! I'd only ever heard Holly do this, but she only done it for the first time the other week. Welllllll, that was me in an absolute panic (so much for staying calm so as not to pass your feelings of anxiety to the dogs).... I was in tears!! Called the vets and they said it was 'normal'. I got such an awful fright though! :rolleyes:

Back