• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scratching and dry skin

Fraggle

Hi, i'm hoping somebody can give me some advice.

I have a Ruby cavvie called Bella who is 3 years old and every winter when the central heating gets switched on she develops dry skin.

I feel so sorry for her as she keep scratching and is taking a lot of fur out of herself.

I've tried everything I can think of like adding Cod Liver oil to her dinner and making sure I wash her in a sensitive skin Aloe Vera shampoo. Our vet recommended Seleen shampoo so we bought some but that seems to be making no difference either.

Has anybody else come up against this? Can you suggest anything that might help?

MTIA x

If it's only when your heat comes on, how about a humidifier to add moisture back into the air?

Hi there....
I totally share ur pain over the itchy dry skin.
My pup has had it since she was 4 mths old.
Been back and forward to vet for scrapes and meds.
I made sure she was on a hypo-allergenic diet...james well beloved,she gets a capsule of evening primrose oil and a squirt of kronchs salmon oil.TBH that hasnt made any difference but i am persevering!Her fur looks great.
She is bathed in dermocanis shampoo from vet once a week and has now been given anti-histamines from the vet.She is also loosing fur and as she is black n tan her dandruff looks awful.
Im not sure the heating is causing it but it was one possibility.
I am going to order an evening primrose oil shampoo from groomers for inflammed itchy skin to see if that helps.
As Holly said maybe a humidifies would help....Im going to try that too and see if it helps.
Hope u find something to help.(y)

I've used a light dog hair conditioner and rubbed just a bit into her skin
seems to help, got that tip from a pet shop.
Jen

Back