PDA

View Full Version : Look at this little girl

frecklesmom
15th November 2008, 01:05 AM
I usually just post "kill shelter" Cavaliers desperate for rescue but this....:mad:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/frecklesmom/Annie.jpg

Meet Annie! This sweet girl needs a new start in life. For six years she has loved her family, but they decided it was time to find a new dog so Annie had to go. Now safe at a rescue, she is patiently waiting for a new forever home. Annie has all of her papers and vet records back to when she was a pup. She will be bathed and groomed and then ready to go. Annie loves treats, so she may need to lose a few pounds, but, other than that she is as perfect as she looks. If you would like to give this special dog the home and love that she so deserves, call June at 440-522-8558 to get more information. Annie would love to be in a home for Thanksgiving! **Note: This dog is not at the Berea Shelter. Please call June directly for more information.

Berea Animal Rescue Fund (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH75.html)
Berea, OH
440-234-2034

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12384768

NOW SHOWING A DUAL LISTING: PURRFECT ENDINGS To see her call June 440-552-8814 or email her at jarnesen@allprofreight.com or staff@pawsinnthewoods.com

cosmic81
15th November 2008, 01:23 AM
this make me cry.

KingstonsMom
15th November 2008, 01:30 AM
There has to be more to the story.

pinkpuppy
15th November 2008, 02:21 AM
They got a new puppy... so Annie had to go!:mad:

brotymo
15th November 2008, 02:36 AM
that just doesn't make sense. Is that what they told rescue? Did they perhaps find health problems had appeared they didn't want to deal with?
That is like having a new baby and giving up your older child for adoption because of the baby!
So sad. :(

Mindysmom
15th November 2008, 02:58 AM
You know until I found this site it really never occurred to me that there would be Cavalier's in rescue. I was convinced that nobody could ever part with one of these little love bugs. I'm sorry to find that I'm wrong :-(

Aileen
15th November 2008, 10:09 AM
How could they?
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Alison_Leighfield
15th November 2008, 10:56 AM
What a lovely little girl as well.
....having our fair share of rescues here as well I'm sorry to say...just so busy the past few weeks with it all, I havn't had time to post much :(

Alison.

ClareLovesCavvies
15th November 2008, 11:28 AM
Poor little darling, how people can do this I will never know.

Cathy Moon
15th November 2008, 01:09 PM
Poor little girl; she looks very sweet. I know someone very nice who may be interested in her, and will call her at 10:00 this morning!

Berea is very close to where I live. I'll call for more information. If anyone is interested, I would be glad to help with transport, etc.

Cathy Moon
15th November 2008, 03:14 PM
I called at 10:00am, and she is spoken for already! :rah:
Her story is exactly what was posted on PetFinder; isn't that awful of her previous owners?! :mad:

She is getting a dental next week (her teeth are in horrible shape), then will go to her new owner.

Her foster mom says she is a very sweet little girl.:lotsaluv: I'm sure she will go to a good home, because Berea Rescue is a good one.

Sunna
16th November 2008, 12:26 AM
Sad story :( How can people do such things?

Karlin
16th November 2008, 02:17 AM
People give up their dogs of all ages, all the time; this isn]t unusual. The most common reason is:

1) don't have time for the dog

I've never yet had a cavalier handed over because of a health issue. Only a couple of times have I had a dog come in because of a younger new dog and that tends to be because the dogs don't get along and the original one finds it hard to accept the newcomer.

I find it best to try not to judge those who hand over a dog to rehome -- it is easy to jump to conclusions but the details are often a different story and unless you know the situation and the people you cannot know the real situation for that original owner. Almost everyone I have dealt with has always been sincere and meant well even if they made choices I would not have made. In addition there's a big difference between rehoming your dog through rescue, and taking it to the vet to be pts or selling on an intact dog to make your money back. But even in the latter case, many people simply do not realise the potential consequences for the dog and generally, many rehoming do so believing the dog will easily find a new home and get a better life in that new home. And generally they are right -- as is the case already with this dog who seems to have spent almost no time at all in rescue. :thmbsup:

I am surprised a rescue would post so much detail about a dog's previous situation -- this isn't really anyone's business and reading that sort of thing could discourage others from even giving a dog to rescue (imagine having to rehome your dog and finding all the details of why posted on the internet), and by offering the dog's records as well, the original owners could be traced. JUst kind of odd.

WoodHaven
16th November 2008, 02:29 AM
You know until I found this site it really never occurred to me that there would be Cavalier's in rescue. I was convinced that nobody could ever part with one of these little love bugs. I'm sorry to find that I'm wrong :-(

There are so many cavaliers in need of homes these days.
www.cavalierrescueusa.org
www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org
There are usually 20-50 cavaliers in need of homes on these two sites alone.

I heard of another cavalier this morning who is 7-- they say she isn't getting enough attention (they have 4 kids now and the dog isn't getting brushed or walked and needs a new home). The fact that we are teaching a new generation of children that pets (who are like members of the family) are disposable is a sad. I hope these adults realize one day the "kids" will be able to put them in a home when they too are disposable. Karma.

tara
16th November 2008, 04:42 AM
Amen Sandy. I too heard of the dog you mentioned. I always encourage anyone who brings up the subject of adding a pet to their family to stop and seriously consider whether or not they can be committed to this animal for life. I know that situations arise which we can't predict, but we've at least got to go into pet ownership with the mindset that it's a life-long committment barring extraordinary circumstances. My two human kids know that our pets are equal members of our family. Just like the human family members, pets come with needs, annoying qualities, etc. But we all stick together and care for one another regardless of inconvenience.

brotymo
16th November 2008, 03:59 PM
I agree that jumping to conclusions is dangerous to do. I personally had a situation of my own that required rehoming of 2 dogs. I had my three wolves when I got married to my (now ex) husband. He came into the marriage with a husky/shepherd cross. We loved and enjoyed our dogs very much, but he entered the military, requiring many moves and limiting living situations. We were given orders that forced us to rehome two of them. The base where we were going only allowed 2 dogs in housing, and the community outside the base had terribly high rentals if you decided to live off base. Those did not allow pets. To rent a home that would have allowed dogs would have been like asking us to pay for passage to the moon. We just could not do it! We neutered and rehomed the most energetic and playful of the wolves to a very excellent family with lots of special needs adopted children who kept him busy! We kept in touch over the years with updates and they loved him dearly, and we had a close friend who had always adored Keneu (the husky cross), so she went to him (where she lived to age 13, much spoiled). We kept Shadow, (my first wolf and my love) and Maicoh who was completely blind since it would have been unfair to him to be placed, and he was always glued to Shadow...she was his eyes. As it was, we still had to live in a tiny 2 bedroom rental trailer for 5 months with 2 kids and a third on the way (crawling with roaches) since it was literally ALL we could find while we waiting for the military housing to come available. You couldn't even fit a bed and crib in the second bedroom it was so small, so we had to put up a playpen for my 1 year old and a crib mattress on the floor for my 3 year old. During that 5 months, we had to leave Shadow with the friend who was keeping Keneu and Maicoh went to stay with other friends. It was hard. As soon as we got quarters and got the fence up, we drove the 1,100 miles back to our home state to get them, and 1,100 miles back with them. I was sooo happy to have them with us again (and they were happy to be together and with us!).

When I got my dogs, I never anticipated that I'd marry a man who would go into the military and that it would force decisions like that on us. I hated doing it, but I feel it turned out well, and I feel we did the best we could.

Every situation is different, and people go thru divorces and have to move into places that don't allow pets, or their health declines, or their finances take a huge hit and they can't care for the pets, or they realize that they have become so busy with life/kids/career that the dog isn't getting the proper attention...and it won't change any time soon. They may be trying to find a home for the dog out of a desire to give the dog more of what he/she needs that they can't give. If they didn't care, maybe they'd just let things keep rolling along.

I agree that many rescue situations are sad, and many are downright cause for anger, but some require understanding and withholding of judgement. God forbid any of us find ourselves, for whatever reasons, having to make the difficult decision to rehome a loved pet. I know, I've been there.

AsOctoberFalls
16th November 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm sure she will go to a good home, because Berea Rescue is a good one.

My best friend got her pit bull puppy from Berea rescue, and she now volunteers there! They had another Cavalier in last week, but I believe he's spoken for already also. :luv:

Shivers
17th November 2008, 09:18 AM
This is so sad. Its a lot of information to give up to new owners all the same. We just adopted a lovely little lady last week and the reason she became available was that her owners had separated and neither of them was prepared to take her :(
Anyway, she is having a great time with us (we hope). She is amazing with the kids. Even the 18 month old can hold her lead and she is so gentle she just trots along beside him loving all the attention :p
I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that someone didnt want her but she is very loved now (and also getting a bit spoiled) :luv:

Dublin
17th November 2008, 09:47 AM
When I worked in rescue I heard the same story so often - so sad, I cant believe anyone could do this. I guess they get rid before vet bills start. I know I could never to that to my 'kids'.

This little girlie is soooooo cute, I hope she finds her forever home very soon.

Sumilidon
17th November 2008, 12:10 PM
Well I think she looks adorable and I hope her new home gives her all the attention she deserves.

I also never reaslised there was so many cavaliers in rescue, although truthfully I specifically wanted a puppy.

When Charlie and Poppet are grown, I am tempted to get a third and a rescue dog certainly seems like a good idea to me - mostly as I'm already sick of hosue training :)

Mindysmom
17th November 2008, 12:27 PM
It's true - circumstances do change. When we got our Retriever we lived in a place that he could go for long off lead walks through the bush. When we moved here it was no longer a possibility. There was no predicting we'd ever have to move. I don't think we would have picked such a high energy dog (although we actually didn't expect him to be SO high energy) if we lived where we do now.

I don't see Cavalier's in rescues around me - possibly because the breed is not quite as popular here as in other places.

jgponder
17th November 2008, 07:22 PM
I hope they are not allowed to get a new dog that they may give up if a better one comes along down the road!

Princess Buttercup
22nd November 2008, 12:54 PM
I adopted my two direct from their previous home. The were much loved members of the family, but with two older boys and a brand new baby, they felt they weren't able to give them the exercise they needed (one is a golden retriever). They didn't want to put them in a rescue so they advertised for a new home for them. It took them a while to find us, as they wanted the 2 dogs rehomed together (they are the best of friends) and most people just want one dog. I am still in contact with the family, and give them regular updates, and send them photos. We walked the dogs every week for 2 months before they came to live with us, so it would be less of an adjustment for them - and they fitted in with us straight away. I don't know what I'd do without them now - they're a big part of our family...