• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help she stinks

cmd123

should i take her to the vets she only had a bath sat and she stinks already she has veryt long hair and is very fluffy her fur makes her look fatter than what she is
i cant take it anylonger if she not bathed weekly she stinks the house out surely its not normal the smell is really putting me off dogs :(

How does she stink ? if its her skin she might have an infection & need some special shampoo etc. or it could be her teeth or glands.

if its her skin bathing her so often obviously isnt working & may be making things worse.

Yes I think a check up at the vet is a good idea. Where do you think the smell is coming from? Urine, teeth, maybe anal glands?

its like a really smelly sock smell her breath does stink as well but i thought all dogs get stinky breath anyway she has a habit of licking her paws alot whether the breath smell is stinking her fur i dont know:confused:

She should not have bad breath, no dog should. This is very likely to be the problem. Maybe she has a bad tooth or gum problems, these can lead to very serious problems if left so I'd make an appointment asap (y)

Hi
I know how u feel.
My dog can get really smelly too.I bathe her once/twice a month.Her fur grows out the way and is really fluffy also.So she looks much fatter then she is.I just make sure i use a mild shampoo and dnt always use the hairdryer too often incase her skin gets really dry.
Once my girl was speyed the smell was much much less. But b4 she was speyed it was awful....my house permanently stunk of wet/smelly dog!
I also bought a perfume for lucie....its evening primrose so is ok for her skin....that makes a difference too.And bedding is washed twice a week!
OH and i have plug ins EVEYWHERE.:razz:

apart from the obvious - is she eating smelly socks - how is the skin where her leg meets her belly?

Sometimes dead skin can give the same smell. Flakey skin meets moisture & friction etc

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with her womb, in which case, I'd treat this as urgent.

Oh well that's good as that would really worry me, problems with the womb can be very bad. Glad she doesn't have one ;)

I've never had, or should I say, Dylan has never had anal gland problems so I wouldn't know what that smells like. Is she scooting? I wonder if you have fox poo in your garden?

My guess would be anal glands. Sally only had a problem once and she stunk cheesy. It was absolutely awful it made the house stink. I took her to the vet to get them cleaned and then the groomers and the smell disappeared.

If it is her breath, and she is a teething puppy (4-5 months old) they do have stinky breath during that time...awful, rotting flesh stink. It goes away. Like others said, rule out her anal glands, and have her checked at the vet. Sometimes I have to bathe just my malamute's rear because she will smell awful, but it will be that she just has gotten some anal gland secretions in her fur and it REEKS! (can't see it, just can smell it) Just a quick wash of her heiney and it is gone!

Otherwise, I'd take her to the vet to rule out issues that need treatment.

Back