• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking!

Gingers Mommy

I know I havent been around much recently. Life is going great with the new baby. Ginger is so good with her 2 legged brother.
BUT, we are having a problem with her barking outdoors. She doesnt bark at anything specific, she just barks. I believe she needs more exercise in a whole, but because of the barking, its hard to take her out.
Its very frustrating and im trying to work with her as much as I can. I realize this can be an outlet for her from the changes going on in the house. She was never a quiet dog, but it was never this bad.
She gets herself so worked up that she cannot even focus on me. I am working with a dog trainer. It has helped a little bit, we've gone on a few walks with no barks at all! And luckily my husband has now jumped on board and he is helping.
I guess im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us? I make her sit/stay when we get to an elevator, curb, door. When I think she may be losing it I have her do a down/stay, but if I dont catch it fast enough she cannot even be lured down with a treat. As soon as we get in the house shes quiet.
The trainer says that she has anxiety. In her words she said "shes a mess". I am so distraught over it, i cried the first time we went out with the trainer. I was so upset, I feel like ive done so wrong by her and I just want to fix it.
Another trainer I spoke to when i was at a cavalier meetup mentioned Impulse Control.
Any ideas????

Back