PDA

View Full Version : The Truth Behind Puppy on BBC1

Aileen
19th November 2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/abcnews.php
The truth behind puppy farms; Inside Out, BBC 1 Wednesday 19th November 2008 at 7.30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondeman...16x9&bbwm=1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondemand/england/realmedia/insideout/south/081001_io_south_john_lowe_puppies?bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&lang=en&nbwm=1&bbram=1&ms3=4&ms_j-script=false&bbcws=6&size=16x9&bbwm=1)
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake )

*Pauline*
19th November 2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Aileen.

Dublin
19th November 2008, 05:03 PM
Oh no - thats only on BBC UK - not Northern Ireland:mad:

*Pauline*
19th November 2008, 05:26 PM
Oh no - thats only on BBC UK - not Northern Ireland:mad:

Maybe you can see it on BBC iplayer.

Aileen
19th November 2008, 07:07 PM
if you have got Sky it is on I think 900 not sure
the bottom line is the program I think
--Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Ejay
19th November 2008, 07:27 PM
cant get it in wales either, but checked iplayer after pauline's suuggestion and it says 'coming soon' (which usually translates as a few hours!)

murphy's mum
19th November 2008, 07:36 PM
If your in Scotland with Sky, you can get BBC England from channel 974:)

tanztanya
19th November 2008, 07:40 PM
it's on now

leesanlucie
19th November 2008, 09:37 PM
Boo....Im in scotland and couldnt get it as im with virgin :confused:

Aileen
19th November 2008, 10:46 PM
look at the 2 line there is a bit of the progamme on there
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

*Pauline*
19th November 2008, 11:08 PM
What was the program actually called so I can look for it on BBC iplayer please?

diddy
19th November 2008, 11:19 PM
It was called Inside Out England on BBC1

*Pauline*
20th November 2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you x

Lisa_T
20th November 2008, 12:32 AM
Pauline, if you download it and it has subtitles (the 's' button on your player) shows up, can you let me know? I'm sick of wasting bandwidth usage to download stuff only to find there's no subtitles. Complaining to BBC/iplayer is a waste of typing. They bluff. Grr.

Davy
20th November 2008, 01:08 AM
It should be label as 'inside out southern' as that the area it covers. It seems like his bloke has been on the program before and still gets away with it. :mad:

, can you let me know? I'm sick of wasting bandwidth usage to download stuff only to find there's no subtitles. Complaining to BBC/iplayer is a waste of typing. They bluff. GrrHave you complained to points of view and see hear?

Edit to add

on dogpages they have the link to the program. its the full program so I don't know the time to tell you to watch from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fm62w/Inside_Out_London_19112008/

Dublin
20th November 2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe you can see it on BBC iplayer.

The BBC I-player wont work outseide the UK - I tryed it before but it just goes blank :mad:

diddy
20th November 2008, 12:49 PM
For those of you who missed it a young reporter saw adverts for numerous breeds all connecting to one phone No. He roped in a young qualified vet, and posing as brothers they arranged a visit to the breeders premises saying they wanted a pup as a present for their father.

The place was run down, filthy and overrun with rats. The breeder would not allow them into the pen to see the mum and pups, but whilst they looked in from the outside he asked them to choose one.

Breeder enters the pen and mother backs away warily, pacing up and down from a safe distance!! Breeder picks up pup and shows them it through the open window. They have to ask to get a better look at it and he reluctantly hands it out.

They decide to have a look at the other one and he says "No, you cant do that, you'll have to take that one now 'cos I cant put it back" Reporter asks why not? "Because now you've handled it the mother will attack it if I put it back, you'll have to take it now otherwise she'll attack it." "There's nothing else I can do".

They hand the pup back and say perhaps they ought to leave it to their father to decide. The breeder goes nuts!! Begins threatening them etc etc.

Reporter states "We would not buy a dog from there, reluctantly we had to leave them behind, as all he was interested was money, and buying a pup from him would only add to his profits and cause more suffering for generations of dogs to come".

The clip was later shown to Dr Roger Mugford.

Personally I dont know how people like him (apologies for the Human race) get away with it.

Sabby
20th November 2008, 03:46 PM
For those of you who missed it a young reporter saw adverts for numerous breeds all connecting to one phone No. He roped in a young qualified vet, and posing as brothers they arranged a visit to the breeders premises saying they wanted a pup as a present for their father.

The place was run down, filthy and overrun with rats. The breeder would not allow them into the pen to see the mum and pups, but whilst they looked in from the outside he asked them to choose one.

Breeder enters the pen and mother backs away warily, pacing up and down from a safe distance!! Breeder picks up pup and shows them it through the open window. They have to ask to get a better look at it and he reluctantly hands it out.

They decide to have a look at the other one and he says "No, you cant do that, you'll have to take that one now 'cos I cant put it back" Reporter asks why not? "Because now you've handled it the mother will attack it if I put it back, you'll have to take it now otherwise she'll attack it." "There's nothing else I can do".

They hand the pup back and say perhaps they ought to leave it to their father to decide. The breeder goes nuts!! Begins threatening them etc etc.

Reporter states "We would not buy a dog from there, reluctantly we had to leave them behind, as all he was interested was money, and buying a pup from him would only add to his profits and cause more suffering for generations of dogs to come".

The clip was later shown to Dr Roger Mugford.

Personally I dont know how people like him (apologies for the Human race) get away with it.

Didn’t they mention that this breeder has been struck of or lost his licence about four years ago? He also said that he was not the breeder just a helping hand, but it was obvious that he was the breeder. They showed people who bought puppies from there and they died shortly after. Even if people have not heard about puppy farms, twenty-four years ago when I bought my first puppy (rescue) if I would have walked into a filthy horrible place like that I would have walked straight out again. I just can’t believe people buy from places like that.

diddy
21st November 2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you Sabby. Yes they did say that, but as I wasnt 100% sure I remembered it correctly I didnt write it in. (couldnt remember where it was!!)

Cant help wondering whats happening to all those poor dogs and their babies today. Its so sad to think of them all stuck there,cold, frightened, and alone all day in the half gloom. But as the programe said, buying even one pup will boost the b-----d's profits, and thereby enable him to keep on going. :eek:

sins
21st November 2008, 12:26 PM
I can't understand how people can buy a puppy having seen the conditions in which they were being kept.There's also a very good article on puppy trafficking in december's issue of Dogstoday but some of the pics are a bit distressing.
Sins

Kizzys Mum
21st November 2008, 01:52 PM
Didn’t they mention that this breeder has been struck of or lost his licence about four years ago? He also said that he was not the breeder just a helping hand, but it was obvious that he was the breeder. They showed people who bought puppies from there and they died shortly after. Even if people have not heard about puppy farms, twenty-four years ago when I bought my first puppy (rescue) if I would have walked into a filthy horrible place like that I would have walked straight out again. I just can’t believe people buy from places like that.
I totally agree! And the breeder (or "lorry driver") was clearly a very unpleasant man who didn't even like dogs. He wasn't even trying to disguise what he was doing. Surely people would just walk into that place and think it didn't feel right...

brotymo
21st November 2008, 02:10 PM
I can't understand how people can buy a puppy having seen the conditions in which they were being kept.

When you consider that many people are not aware of puppy mills, and you think about it, it is easy to see. If someone goes to this place and sees the horrible conditions, they will, understandably feel pity and shock over the poor puppy and many would want to buy the puppy to "rescue" it. Being unaware of this huge, miserable industry out there in mass producing puppies, they just don't know they are supporting something like that. It is easy to see how they would think the place they have seen is an isolated case, and they have done something good for this one puppy, having NO idea they are dooming so many thousands of other puppies.

Just like many people are unaware of human trafficking (I even had a guy in one of my classes argue that there is no such thing, it is all made up and that if people are being exploited they are letting it be done willingly), many more are unaware of the problem of puppy mills.

LizzieM
21st November 2008, 02:41 PM
I think most of the people who do buy from them don't like the conditions, but this guy put on such a hard sell and guilt trip that the potential customers may be pushed into a sale they're not comfortable with. The idea that you have caused contamination of a pup, so that it can no longer go back with its mother (which is what this guy was saying), is probably enough for people to go against their better judgement and buy the pup anyway. Even if this is rediculous. I'm sure most people can think of a time when they were pushed into buying or doing something that they're not comfortable, thanks to a heavy handed sales person.

Sabby
21st November 2008, 05:52 PM
When you consider that many people are not aware of puppy mills, and you think about it, it is easy to see. If someone goes to this place and sees the horrible conditions, they will, understandably feel pity and shock over the poor puppy and many would want to buy the puppy to "rescue" it. Being unaware of this huge, miserable industry out there in mass producing puppies, they just don't know they are supporting something like that. It is easy to see how they would think the place they have seen is an isolated case, and they have done something good for this one puppy, having NO idea they are dooming so many thousands of other puppies.

Just like many people are unaware of human trafficking (I even had a guy in one of my classes argue that there is no such thing, it is all made up and that if people are being exploited they are letting it be done willingly), many more are unaware of the problem of puppy mills.

In a way I can see your point. I keep fish and I do belong to a Forum. On there you read over and over again that people bought fish because they felt sorry for the fish as the Shop was keeping the fish in completely the wrong conditions or the fish was looking thin and lonely. Different animal same outcome.