• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabies Vaccine Reaction Advice, please

brotymo

Bandit got his rabies vaccine today. It was the only thing we had done. We purposely waited until a month after his last set of puppy shots, and it actually has been 6 weeks, since i wanted to wait until he was better from his illness and finished with his meds for that. He is 5.5 months old.

he screamed and yelped when they gave him the shot. He seemed fine for the first 3 or 4 hours after, but then became very lethargic (eyes closing while sitting up). He vomited up everything in his stomach about half an hour ago. I called the vet who said to watch for swelling or redness of skin (like on his belly), and bring him in if that happened. After reading about reactions online, I am worried.

Right now he is sleeping very soundly and deep. I keep checking on him, worried about whether he is still breathing. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the rabies shot? This is the first time I've ever had a dog react to a vaccine except to be a little sleepy for the rest of that day.

Truman had a bad reaction immediately after the Parvo vaccine; the same kind of reaction as Bandit, throwing up repeatedly, but it was a few seconds after the vaccine, at the vet's office. He continued to throw up for 2 hours. He was given a shot of Benadryl and Benadryl pills to take and this helped. Has Bandit been given any kind of medication?

Since Truman had such a bad reaction to the Parvo vaccine I made sure he was given extra supplements before and right after his rabies vaccine. He was on Antronex, Atrium C (vitamin C) and Thymex for 10 days before and 7 days after the vaccine, and I gave him a dose of Lyssin immediately (within 15 minutes) after the rabies vaccine. Miles was given Lyssin too and neither of them had a reaction. Truman didn't even yelp, although I think he was still traumatized by the gigantic microchip needle that stuck him 2 seconds before the rabies vaccine! They both were given the rabies vaccine around 9 months of age. If Bandit is sensitive to vaccines you might want to give him supplements before and after...same with little Lizzie, just as a precaution. I hope he feels better! :flwr:

Back