• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Have Star's report from the neurologist

sugarkane74

The report arrived today and it says the MRI revealed mild caudal occipital malformation with no evidence of cerebellar herniation and there was mild syringohydromyelia at the level of the cervical and cranial thoracic spine.

It also says that postural reactions were inconsistently delayed on the right pelvic limb and they've told me to keep an eye on this. But they've also said they cannot explain this at this stage. I'm not sure what it means though and what to look out for so will have to ring and ask.

I'm still concerned at the cause of treatment as it states I said she episodes of frantic scratching at the neck... it's not frantic at all I don't think so think I need to phone and clarify this.
My regular vet advised me to phone and ask to speak to someone more senior as the girl who saw Star was a resident so may not be up to date with all the treatments as in her report she only mentioned treatment with frusemide, prednisolone and gabapentin.

I'm going to make some notes on what I want clarified etc and make a call either tomorrow or monday.

I would want to talk to someone more senior. Like Karlin said you don’t want to start on medicine that is not needed right now. It’s important they get it right.(y)

I think they have prescribed medications based on the fact that it may have sounded like you had major concerns about SM given symptoms you thought you were seeing. That did come across here as well -- which is why I was suggesting having a look at the videos and researching the information on my SM site which does try to give some context for understanding 'excessive' when it comes to scratching for example. (y) When you are worried, it can be hard to try to get a sense of context.

To be honest that is a pretty mild MRI and I don't think this would be that unusual an MRI at all on a cavalier the age of Star though it is of course very unfortunate a syrinx has started to develop and a syrinx is always abnormal and serious. What is the case is that you have a developing condition that you need to watch, and at least you now know you need to watch it. I do not think you should have to give ANY pain medications as there really has been no indication at least from what I have read that you have really seen any unusual level of scratching or pain. I'd suggest getting a second opinion as I can practically guarantee that most neurologists will say to simply start her on a CSF inhibitor like frusemide or cimetidine as a possible preventative and for mild relief and drop gabapentin.

You have to remember that if you insisted on a neurology referral and told them you were seeing lots of scratching many times a day, the neurologist, if she cannot recreate that behaviour, has to rely on what you have said as evidence of whether the dog is experiencing real discomfort. The leg could likely be many things -- maybe hip or knee related and nothing to do with SM

The useful thing is you now have a scan. If you have a KC number for Star, please submit this to Sarah Blott's research towards EBVs as it will be useful for that. And try to relax and not worry -- she could spend her entire life not having a single serious symptom or problem.

Well, I've just spoken to the top neurologist this morning who explained the dosage of Gabapentin to me and she asked if Star has stopped scratching now which she actually has and said I can give her 1 tablet every 12 hrs.. so 2 a day.. and see how that goes. Or alternatively go to a pharmacist and get 70 mg capsules made up. What pharmacist would do this and would I need a vets prescription or something?

Also asked about CSF reducing drugs.. cimetedine but she told me that was for stomach problems and that frusemide makes them urinate a lot and would lose lots of essential minerals and they don't like starting dogs as young as Star on this kind of drug unless it was a last resort and that looking at Star's MRI she doesn't need them yet. She also said other CSF reduing drugs also reduce other fluids such as the tear production in eyes and the last thing Star needs on top is dry eyes.

She said as long as Star doesn't deterioate to get her MRI'd again between 2-3 yrs of age.. pref 3 but if she was (heaven forbid) to get worse to get her MRI'd straight away.

Feel a bit happier now about it all and may at last be able to chill out and enjoy my little mad Star.

I make up my own capsules Elena. It should cost a lot of money to get someone else to do it because it takes blooming ages!

I buy my empty capsules here:

http://www.value-healthcare.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=21_37

It was 20 times cheaper than my vet could sell them to me. You can pay with paypal so you don't even need to fetch your purse if you have a paypal account! Get size 3. 4 is a bit small.
Open two capsules and divide into three like someone making lines of coke. I actually use a mirror and divide and shovel it in with sharp knife. You can't see what you are doing on a white plate.

These pills do only last 8 hours. I know, I tried 100mg twice a day on Dylan.

Last edited:
That's great! Thanks for that link Pauline, I'll order some today if that's the case.

Do you know how long it takes to deliver? I might give the 2 x a day a go though until they deliver but if she starts showing any discomfort will go back to 3 x until I get the empty capsules.

She's being a right little bugger today! Caught her 'burying' her food in the creases in the sofa earlier, had to giggle though! :D

They came pretty quick. But in the meantime, you can fill 2 capsules and put the extra 3rd in soft cheese.

Back