• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just Curious - How to Tell the Difference?

Shivers

Does anyone know how would you tell the difference between a Cavalier and a King Charles Spaniel. I know they are apparently different breeds. I was just reading up on them and wondering how to tell the difference.
We adopted ours so no papers for her to check for sure but I am wondering is she maybe not a Cavalier? Her previous said he would send on the papers but I am not going to hold my breath.
She has short ears and quite a short coat although it is wavy. She is also small (compared to some of the Cavs in people profile pictures).

The king charles spaniel or english toy spaniel has a much more 'squashed' looking face than the cavalier king charles spaniel. If you search google images I'm sure you'll find some pics of them.
Cavaliers vary in size and you'll find they have different coats also.
From your profile pic I'd say definately a cavalier. Hope this helps :)

I spend far too much time thinking about things! I was nearly giving my poor dog an identity crisis! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tips (and the reassurance) :)

Siobhann, she is definitely a cavalier. Charlies have practically a flat face and are really tiny and I have never seen one in Ireland outside the annual IKC show in March. The breed standard for cavaliers is 12-18lbs and many are over that. Your girl just has a shaved down coat -- leave it to grow and her ears and coat length will fill in. (y)

There's a post in the Library on the differences between the breeds. CKCS were recreated from KCs and probably some other vreeds, at the start of the last century.

Back