• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Microchipping

shippers

I am just wondering what members views are on microchipping your dog? We got Sally microchipped when she was spayed at 6 months so it was done under anaesthetic and she wouldn't have felt it. We have now moved house and are going to a new vet who has a very good reputation but she recommended spaying Lois after her first season which could be a long time as she is only nearly 9 weeks. I am worried about leaving it this long to get her chipped for identification purposes but then would it be painful to get it done with her second injection? What have other members done?

I'd just get it done, some don't even flinch, some do of course but it is all over pretty quick.

My pup was microchipped by his breeder before I got him at 11 weeks - if he hadnt have already bee chipped I would have gotten it done when I took him in for his vaccinanations. I allways get my dogs done & have never had them done under anesthetic & have never had any problems, I acctually chipped my last dog Leo myself (during the training course).

I have seen some dogs cry when it is done but it's only for a second or two & a nice cuddle or a niscuit usualy sorts them out! - I think we worry far more than the dogs do!

I'd get the chipping done with the second vaccination.The risk of theft or loss outweighs the moment of discomfort felt by the puppy.I'm sure your vet will do it as swiftly and painlessly as possible.
Sins

All our cats and dogs are microchipped. Amber (8 months) had hers done under anaesthetic at same time as a dental. Bobby (18 months) was done along with an ear tatoo by his breeder as a baby.

It IS quite a big (scary looking) needle, but none of ours complained. The only one to bleed even slightly for a few moments was the white boxer Buster. (it bothered me far more than it did him though).

If the pet is lost you have a good chance of recovering it as vets,dog wardens, rescue centres etc automatically scan for a chip.

Ask the vet to put it as low down as poss, as in the future you may want to MRI scan and sometimes (rarely) the chip distorts the image. I had Ambers done between the shoulders.

BUT and I have never seen this mentioned before - I saw a case where a Cav was seen on a reg basis by a vet in a large multi practice. One day the same Cav turned up at another branch with a new owner, and nurse on duty happened to recognise the Cav. Nurse was sure something was amiss as she knew this cav had gone missing about 3 weeks ago!!

Vet was discretely alerted and admitted the cav on the pretext on having her in for observation for 24 hours. Orig owners were alerted and were overjoyed she had turned up safe. It ended in a complete fiasco as both old and new owners turned up to collect at the same time. Police were called and insisted that the cav be returned to the new owner as she "had posession" police said "posession is 9/10ths of the law"!!!

The only way the original owners could get their dog back was to go to court, and as it was a Civil matter, there was no legal aid available. Something very simillar also happened to me and I lost a young rescue Yorkie to an (ex) friend, who had offered to look after her whilst I was in hospital for 6 weeks. She refused to return her and once again the police were b---dy useless, just quoting the 9/10ths of the law bit again. I did not fight it through the courts as by then Suzy had settled in with Ann and her other dog, and would have caused upset all round.

So just be aware that it is not infallable, its a bit like the Pill 98% safe or whatever.

Best wishes,

Both my pups had their microchip put in at the time of second vacination. Lily (our westie) cried like a baby, but Bailey (cav) did brilliantly, she just came straight for a cuddle and was absolutly fine! I just figured i would do it early, that way there is far less worry on my part!

good luck!!

Ollie also had his microchip put in when he got his vax. My vet asked me to hold him for comfort ( and warned he may bite :eek: ). He didnt even flinch. I was a nervous wreck but he was so brave.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later, just in case the unthinkable happens :flwr:

I'd get it done sooner rather than later. I had both of mine chipped when they were altered at 6 months but in the future will do it sooner.

I'd do it as soon as possible if I were you.

Mary Alice was done as soon as we got her but she was about 4years old.

Rosie was chipped at an early age (about 12 weeks), didn't seem to bother her at all.

Neither were under sedation, just shot the chip in between their shoulders.

Both mine were chipped at their 2nd vaccination. Cannot stress how important it is to have them done. So many dogs go missing or are stolen and puppies are particularly targetted.

Both mine were chipped at their 2nd vaccination. Cannot stress how important it is to have them done. So many dogs go missing or are stolen and puppies are particularly targetted.

I watched them chip my dog, It looked like a huge needle, I was nervous, but she didn't even notice. I'd do it anytime you're in the office.
Jen

We got ours done shortly after we got them - I was terrified they'd get out some day and not know their way back as we'd just adopted them. The needle didn't look that big to me - and our little one just reacted the same way she did to being vaxed - a little whinge and then she was grand. Our golden retriever didn't even notice it.

As someone who has worked at a microchipping clinic -- yes, it is a large needle (looks a lot like a large leather punch) and yes, some dogs do cry out. The last dog I had done even started to bleed.

We had Ruby and Evie chipped within days of having them as they were going to stay with my sister Ejay and after having our old Cavalier take herself off for a walk once before it was definitely the best thing. Ruby was a brave girl while Evie was a right pain in the backside and wriggled so much the vet had to take her off to another room (she was also screaming the house down) once it was done she was fine....they both love the vets....its all the attention they get from everyone lol
I would definitely get your pup chipped asap as you never know whats around the corner. As I mentioned Molly took herself off one day for a walk when some removal men collected some furniture. We thought she had gone back to bed in my mums room...except there was no sign of her. Me & dad searched town and the park up the road but no sign of her, we phoned the police as well. Within 10 minutes the vets called to say a lady had brought her in. The lady lived in the street behind ours and also has cavaliers, thankfully she thought it odd for a cavalier to be out on its own and molly being a softie went straight to her.
:jump:

I will ask about chipping Lois at her next vaccination. At the moment she has a lump from where she had the first needle and it seemed to cause her some pain at first but it's settling down. The vet did warn us about it. I suppose I could get the second vaccination and the chip done together and then she only has to have the pain once and then it'll all be over and done with. I dread to think how we'd all feel if she ever got lost at least the chip is some permanent identification.

Back