PDA

View Full Version : Oscar - Tri Cavalier UNEXPECTEDLY REAVAILABLE

Nicki
26th November 2008, 10:35 PM
Oscar was originally a Cavalier Talk dog:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25497

****UPDATE****
Poor Oscar doesn't have much luck, sadly the lady who wanted to adopt him developed asthma around him :(. He is therefore still looking for a forever home where he can happily rest his paws :D

If you think you would be interested in adopting this special wee fellow, please e-mail admin@spanieltrust.com for an application form.

He's currently on the Isle of Mull but can travel - he's currently pretending to be a Cocker Spaniel and is running up and down the hills with a pack of Cockers LOL - that will get him fit!

If you would like any more information about Oscar, please PM me.

Misty {Fran} fostered him on behalf of the Spaniel Trust for a few months, and he was then rehomed. Sadly the home did not work out and Oscar has bounced back…:(

Oscar is currently stopping with me {again on behalf of the Spaniel Trust} - sadly he has come back in a poor condition and has some problems. He is still morbidly obese - he weighed in at 15kg on arrival :eek:

Oscar’s right eye produces no tears at all - because this has not been treated properly, it is sadly now beyond saving. Oscar has an infection in it, and as he produces no tears, the pus adheres to the surface of the eye which is very unpleasant and sore for him. I am bathing it at least twice a day and putting drops or medication in every two hours…

Oscar went to my vets for a consultation, they strongly advised removing the eye as it is causing him so many problems, and will be very sore and uncomfortable.

This is Oscar - not looking very happy I’m afraid…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Oscar-sore-eye.jpg

Also some video of him in the snow - he is getting more mobile, regaining some muscle tone and loves being off lead in the field, it’s easier for him to walk on grass than on pavement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Video/th_MOV00070.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Video/?action=view&current=MOV00070.flv)

This was taken about five minutes later, by which time he was tired

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Video/th_MOV00074.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Video/?action=view&current=MOV00074.flv)

One of the reasons for telling you all this is that The Spaniel Trust would be very grateful for any help in funding this operation - they are a very small rescue, have only been gong for just over a year, and do not have extensive resources to call upon. Any donations would be gratefully received - if they do receive more than is needed for Oscar’s operation, then any excess would be used to fund veterinary expenses for other dogs in the care of the Spaniel Trust {and possibly for Oscar’s ongoing needs -he will be going out on permanent foster}

Please could you donate by Paypal, and note that it is for Oscar. Alternatively cheques may be sent to the Spaniel Trust, Beul-an-Ath, Dervaig, Tobermory, Isle of Mull. PA75 6QS

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=IGDidpKWKGWWxMswkXO51kUTtFhlNNOZQMa4zqDC0c DTCN8TzzTeN_iXupO&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f9fecf49521b3f5af8500b6262 ba08c6a6c42096c47a6d044

The Spaniel Trust are a registered Scottish charity, any questions may be directed to admin@spanieltrust.com or myself.

Thank you in advance for your help and support, and kisses from Oscar xx

Aileen
26th November 2008, 10:44 PM
Is this Oscar who came from Shefield
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Nicki
26th November 2008, 10:56 PM
Yes that's right, he was found tied to a tree in a bad area :(

Shelli
26th November 2008, 11:24 PM
he was found tied to a tree in a bad area :(

How could anyone do such a horrible thing? :(

murphy's mum
27th November 2008, 10:21 PM
What a gorgeous little boy:luv:

Is he going to need a forever home, I'm in love already

Brian M
27th November 2008, 11:07 PM
Hi
Could you pls re-do the Paypal link I wanted to donate but it didn't take me direct to the link.Thanks

Brian M
27th November 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi Again

Just read Cathy t note in a lower post and i donated finee there so all done.

Nicki
28th November 2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you to everyone who has very kindly sent donations, it's much appreciated. We are still short of the target so any further help would be fabulous :biggrin:

Thank you also for the kind comments - sorry to be tugging at heartstrings, but he's a very special boy and deserves a lot better - and to be free of pain and happy, what we would wish for all our companions :lotsaluv:

Maggles
29th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Oh that link doesn't work for me either! I'd love to donate to Oscar, can someone post an updated link? I didn't find Cathy's....

Nicki
29th November 2008, 01:51 PM
My fault, sorry, not sure what's wrong with the link but if you click here

http://spaniels.proboards77.com/index.cgi

that's the Spaniel Trust forum and you can then press the big DONATE button :D Thank you very much :flwr:

Maggles
30th November 2008, 09:16 AM
thanks! donated.

good luck with mister oscar and keep us all posted. he's been through way too much.

Nicki
30th November 2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much Maggles, that's really kind :thmbsup::flwr:

merlinsmum
30th November 2008, 12:23 PM
Nicki,

I will send a donation through the post as my paypal account is a little overun at present and I don't want to get any more confused than I already am:confused:

Nicki
30th November 2008, 12:26 PM
Bless you Kirsty, that's lovely of you :flwr:

Nicki
2nd December 2008, 08:53 AM
Oscar is going in to have his eye removed today :(

Brian M
2nd December 2008, 09:30 AM
Hello Oscar

Good Luck fella you will be fine.:lotsaluv:

murphy's mum
2nd December 2008, 10:17 AM
Aww, wee man:(

We'll be thinking of him:flwr:

Shelli
2nd December 2008, 11:28 AM
Hope all goes well with Oscars op today. Will be thinking of him :flwr::flwr:

Sandrac
2nd December 2008, 11:32 AM
Thinking of dear Oscar having his operation today, wishing him a speedy recovery and hope he will soon be feeling much more comfortable.:lotsaluv:

lance
2nd December 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Nicki ,
Wishing Oscar good luck for today and a speedy recovery
also gentle hugs for Rupert who is also going through a tough time

:lotsaluv:

Nicki
2nd December 2008, 04:05 PM
Oscar is safely through the op and home - and snoring LOL

He looks like a wee pirate with a big blue bandage over his eye - photo to follow {although I don't think he will ever forgive me!!}

Vet was very pleased with him - the op went smoothly so thank you for all the good wishes.

The other good news is that he has now lost 800g and is down to 14.2kg - feeling very guilty here that I've been starving him :o but have just been giving him a sensible amount of food and excercise and that is working. He is much more full of life, is playing and is turning into quite a character ;)

Brian M
2nd December 2008, 04:25 PM
Hi

Well done Oscar ,so happy your home and safe .:rah:

Maggles
2nd December 2008, 09:28 PM
Good job Oscar! And good job to Nicki too!

So glad he is getting the care he needs.

Nicki
3rd December 2008, 07:50 PM
Sorry for the delayed update - it's been a bit of a day :(

The good news is that Oscar's bandage is off, it looks a bit gory {might post a photo tomorrow for those with strong stomachs...} but he's much more comfortable without it. He is getting about really well with the bucket collar on - it's a clear one so he can see where he is going. He's eating really well - no surprise there with Oscar!! - I'm just having to soak his kibble and not give him anything hard to chew on as that hurts him.

He seems very happy - he was sore last night and quite whiny, but is doing great today :D

Rupert is doing ok - he was pleased to see me again, once he woke up - he was snoring when I arrived :lotsaluv:

HIs enzymes still aren't normal but Glasgow vet school have advised us to give him very small amounts of bland food {boiled chicken or white fish and rice}, literally one teaspoon :eek: - every few hours. He has started to drink from a bowl again which is great. He isn't intersted in the food, but if you put it in his mouth he swallows it rather than spits it out which is ok.

He lets the vets know when he wants to go out - if they open the door he walks out of the kennel as fast as his little legs can carry him at the moment:dogwlk:

He is just a bag of bones now bless him, really hard to see him like this. :(

If he manages to keep the food down and there is no vomiting or diarrhoea overnight, then they will try removing the drip and we *might* be able to bring him home :) Paws crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high yet just in case {also because we have exceptionally bad weather forecast for overnight and tomorrow, so we might not even be able to get there due to that :mad: }

He will need quite intensive care, so please forgive me in advance if I'm not about very much...

The not so good news is that Cruzy's tummy is away AGAIN :(:mad:

He has EXOCRINE PANCREATIC INSUFFICIENCY- more info here http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/git-epi.htm

which we had managed to get under control with the Pancreatic Enzymes - after about three weeks of unexplained and uncontrollable diarrhoea. He's been ok for about a week, and for some reason, he was slightly loose last night and then I got up this morning to diarrhoea from one end of the kitchen to the other....

He is also extremely skinny now - and quite a worry. SO I will be taking him back to the vet again tomorrow too - weather permitting.

murphy's mum
3rd December 2008, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear Oscar is recovering nicely:)

sins
3rd December 2008, 11:11 PM
Good to hear Oscar is over his surgery.You're going through the wars with your own boys, but hopefully they'll recover quickly. It can't be easy trying to access the vets in such weather.
Sins

Arne
4th December 2008, 09:30 AM
I am sorry to read about Cruz, what a lot of worry you are having recently with your gang. I am pleased that Rupert is starting to be brighter and that Oscar is doing well too. Best wishes to you all.
We have rain here instead of snow and ice this morning

Shelli
4th December 2008, 10:41 AM
Glad to hear Oscar's surgery went well, and that Rupert is a bit brighter :luv:
Hope that Cruz is feeling better soon :flwr:

Nicki
4th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Oscar is doing amazingly well - he actually jumped up at me when I came back from fetching Rupert - that's good news really, he wouldn't have managed it when he first came here!

I think that he is far more comfortable without the eye - I can't believe he's only just undergone that surgery, he is truly amazing. He's also the best I've ever seen with a buster collar - he charges around and doesn't seem worried by it at all - in the past our other dogs have claimed they were unable to walk with theirs on!

He has developed a new trick http://s4.images.proboards.com/rolleyes.gif if he thinks the water bowl isn't clean enough {someone has dropped a few crumbs or drooled in it http://s4.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif} then he stands looking at it barking until you put a fresh bowl down http://www.anonz.co.uk/rotflbig.gif Really the service at this hotel is atrocious:eek:

Nicki
4th December 2008, 10:15 PM
Oscar doing his pirate impersonation - he was not very happy :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/Oscar-bandage.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/DSC00083.jpg

The "ear blanket" is Cruz :lotsaluv:

Cathy T
4th December 2008, 11:05 PM
So glad the little man is feeling better. I'll be the does feel better with the eye gone. My mom had an infected tooth removed and my father in law had a bad leg removed....both have said they didn't realize how much pain they were in until the the offending item was gone. I'll bet Oscar is going to feel even better once he's fully recovered. Good job!!

LovesCavaliers
4th December 2008, 11:24 PM
What a brave pirate - bless him! Glad to hear the op went well and he looks comfy - it has to be the best thing, so he will adapt and not think anything of it.

Maggles
5th December 2008, 02:04 AM
Awwwwww, Oscar. What a sweetie. I bet he is really enjoying his stay with Nicki!

murphy's mum
6th December 2008, 09:15 PM
How handsome, even with his lovely blue bandage :luv:

*Pauline*
6th December 2008, 09:44 PM
You really have a lot on your plate right now Nicki, I hope they all get better soon.:flwr:

Nicki
6th December 2008, 11:18 PM
Cathy you were so right, Oscar is feeling HEAPS better!! He's had a very barky day today, knew what he wanted and how to let me know ;)

I even took him out for a wee walk on the lead as he was very upset when I took the others and not him :dogwlk: He is walking so much better now - he's not that worried about staying on the grass, will walk on the road too - but was most disappointed that I didn't take him into the field poor chap!

Cruzy and Teddy are both doing a lot better, thank goodness.

Rupert is a bit up and down - sometimes he wants to eat and sometimes not. He had diarrhoea last night but that has settled today and could just be his system adjusting to food again. He has not vomited though which is probably more significant, and quite a relief.

Kate {my vet} indicated that it would a be long road to recovery...that he would always need a considerable amount of care. He's worth it though :lotsaluv:

Oh and he now has Nuns all over the World praying for him and following his progress, thanks to a good friend of ours :thmbsup: It's just wonderful to know so many people are thinking of him.

misty
7th December 2008, 09:40 AM
Nicki, I'm so pleased Cruz and TedBear are feeling better.

Keep up the tlc with Rupie - he's a very special man :).

As for Oscar, I'm pleased he feels well enough to politely request his wishes - rofl! I know just what you mean :):). Send him kisses.

Nicki
8th December 2008, 10:13 PM
Oscar will be having his stitches out this week and will then be looking for a forever home where he can happily rest his paws :D

If you think you would be interested in adopting this special wee fellow, please e-mail admin@spanieltrust.com for an application form.

Nicki
17th December 2008, 10:44 PM
Oscar left us today for his new home :D

He's gone to live next door to a young Ruby whom Karlin rehomed onto the Isle of Mull :thmbsup:, and whose owner will kindly help with exercising Oscar.

We'll miss him, he was quite a character - but we don't miss the snoring LOL

Margaret C
18th December 2008, 12:27 AM
Well done Nicki.

Oscar will be the best Xmas present they ever had

You have had so much to deal with in the last few weeks. Now try & relax a little and take care of yourself.

Margaret C

Ashley
18th December 2008, 01:07 AM
Oh im so happy Oscar is feeling better. I met him a few months back when i met up with misty, and he was just the sweetest wee boy. Hope everything works out well for him.

xx

pippa
18th December 2008, 09:34 AM
Great news...well done to you Nicki.

Nicki
26th December 2008, 04:42 PM
Poor Oscar doesn't have much luck, sadly the lady who wanted to adopt him developed asthma around him :(. He is therefore still looking for a forever home where he can happily rest his paws :biggrin:

He's currently on the Isle of Mull but can travel - he's currently pretending to be a Cocker Spaniel and is running up and down the hills with a pack of Cockers LOL - that will get him fit!

Jan Bell
27th December 2008, 12:12 PM
I missed this first time round so have sent a donation via PayPal today. Hope Oscar finds a new home soon.

Nicki
27th December 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for that Jan :thmbsup: