• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavachon Puppy-Problems

Brian M

Hi

Dawn had a visit from her daughter Cheryl and her granddaughter Rebbecca a few weeks ago she works as a nurse in the Isle of Mann and its the first visit for over 18 months when we were only owned by one Cavalier Poppy needless to say after adding Daisy and Rosie to the group Rebbecca was totally overwhelmed and has been pestering her Mum for a puppy ever since.
Now the bad news unfortunately Cheryl phoned her Mum last weekend ,"Guess what Mum another nurse at work was selling her last pup cheap so I bought it ,its 8 weeks old and its a Cavchon and she was only £250 and we have called her Annie ".
Now the really bad news ,Cheryl took her to a vet for her first injections and they found a hernia ,thats not too bad Rosie had one and it was fixed when she was spayed ,but they also found a Heart Murmur , my first comment to Dawn when she first told me about the pup was to tell Cheryl to get her insured.
Now its to late ,as the biggest single killer has already been diagnosed so no insurance company will naturally accept liability I presume she will get her insured but with that as an exclusion ,I also know she has accepted the pup so theres no way she will return her so I just hope for all of them the future is not as bleak as I fear.
Any suggestions please.

I have seen a few photos and she does look a beautifull little thing ,but oh how I wish she had spoken to me beforehand ,I know with the forums help we could have guided her in the right direction.

In a pup this young it's not likely to be MVD, quite a few babies get an 'innocent murmur' which will eventually clear up.

It's hard to detect murmurs in young puppies. Might be worth getting a second opinion from a cardiologist.
One of our cavaliers had a heart murmur from 10 weeks old and he made it to 10 so the outlook isn't so bleak.

One way round the insurance thing would be to get the pup insured then after the cooling off period for the policy take the pup to another vet for treatment if she needs it.

My mum did that with her GSDx a few years ago & the insurance continues to pay out for her arthritis.

Back