• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi, cavaliers

Leah

Hi, I am new here.

I am 15 and me and my mum have decided to get a dog. We have thought hard over this, and although my mum knows that it is mainly me who will have the dog, she would like it to providing it all goes well. I am aware of my future and changed in my life and we have discussed that.

I have a criteria for a dog written up by my mum and have been searching for dogs that would fit that category.

Small, good with other animals, and not high exercise requirements.

In light of a past experience of a dog which went very badly whilst researching I think I have been taking the negatives of each breed and blowing them out of proportion.

I live in London and live in a small basement flat and I have a smallish front and back garden. I have three cats.

I remembered that someone recommended me that cavalier and said they would be great for my life and I thought I would come on here to get a bit more info.

Every week I can give a half an hour walk/ off lead session in the park. It will off course get play with that and whilst it is young I will take it our to experience things, socialize, train etc. However I have heard when young you only do very short walks to build up their strength.

On weekends that dog will get a 1 to 2 hour off lead session in the park. I ave gran who lives in wales so when I visit her the dog will be pretty much off lead all the time as we are surrounded by fields etc.

My mum does not work at the moment but she would like to, preferably at home, however I have to be prepared for incase she gets a full or part time job. I have been reading about how to build up time alone for you dog and ways to decrease separation anxiety - like g=giving them a treat when you leave to make them enjoy your leaving, and not greeting them the moment you come in etc.

Could you give me and more suggestions, information and ideas.

Other dogs I am considering are the yorkie and the papillon.

Oh and I am sure that I want a puppy, very sure.:razz:

Hi Leah,
I would suggest you research the informational sections of the forum for some good advice. It is good to do your research. Most importantly, if you decide to get a cavalier, you need to be aware of the health issues of the breed and how to best improve your odds of buying a healthy puppy. Please read the "looking for a puppy" thread:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=284655#post284655

from there, read the other info in the cavalier information library found here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You will find answers to your questions here and can think on whether a dog is a good fit for you and your mom at this time in your lives.

You have a chance to avoid the mistakes many here have made (including me!) which lead to terrible expense and heartbreak and only fuel the careless breeding that is damaging the cavalier breed.

Welcome!

Welcome to the board and it is great that you are thinking so carefully about this.

Exercise, especially off lead, is not a major consideration. Cavaliers like more than the other two breeds but daily walks on lead and active play, are enough for most dogs (ask a breeder for a quieter puppy, not the 'one that chooses us because it goes to you first' as that is most likely to be the most active). Indeed all these breeds are not great off lead except once very well trained on recall and only ever in areas very far away from all traffic anyway. So they only should ever be allowed off lead under careful supervision.

A much bigger consideration is that all the breeds you are considering are those which are particularly needy of attention. They all have very different personalities so it really depends on what you want and whether you can work things out for 1) when someone goes to work and 2) what happens when you are older and move out -- as it is very hard to find rentals that take dogs. Whose dog is this going to be? People forget when getting a puppy that that dog will likely be there for another 10-15 years so the dog will likely become your mother's full time dog eventually. Is this what she will want?

Dogs can of course learn to be home alone but will need someone to come in and walk them midday or so. I'd recommend getting Dr Ian Dunbar's book Before and After You get our Puppy' for good advice and guidance on these and other key issues. :)

Hmm yes after further talk and discussion with my mum we have decided on the ayelstone or dorset bulldog. I have spoken to several owners and breeders and done research and we think they would suit us. I gave my situation to all these people and they think it would be fine for us. They are also healthy and good exercise wise.

Thanks though, the cavalier is a stunning little dog but I think the health issues and energy would not be for us.

we have now decided that we are getting an ayelstone bulldog. spoken to owners and breeders and researched and they seem perfect they are healthy too

Back