PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions?

vicarrieous
1st December 2008, 07:04 PM
Just wondering...

I am planning on buying carseats for my boys. Any suggestions on good ones? Preferrably not too expensive.

How about rawhides or long lasting chews? I would like to get them each one for Xmas that they can take with them to Grammy's house.

Karlin
1st December 2008, 07:12 PM
Bully sticks are probably a better option then rawhides as they are more digestible. Otherwise I only would give the flat rectangular rawhide sheets or the rolled 'cigars' and remove when they get small.

Carseats are not considered a very safe way to transport dogs -- it elevates them up to a level where if the harness snaps, they could more easily be killed -- or kill a passenger -- as they would be catapulted into the front seat at head level. None of them are properly tested, either. A well made specifically designed harness or a hard crate of the right size for the dog is the best option. Vets and breeders seem split of crates vs a good specially designed harness. One issue with harnesses though is that many emergency services are specifically instructed NOT to rescue dogs UNLESS they are safely inside a crate. You can also put vet contacts, medication needs etc on a car crate. Crates should themselves be seatbelted in and good crates are designed to enable this.

Ruffrider (http://www.ruffrider.com/) makes harnesses that are crash tested to human standards.

vicarrieous
1st December 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that info! I will deffinately have to look into that. I dont particularly want to use a hard crate since I have a 2 door car and I dont think I can fit one big enough for them in my back seat.

Do you have a name brand bully stick that is best?

cy1266
1st December 2008, 07:28 PM
Do you have a name brand bully stick that is best?

I like Merrick bully sticks.

StellaLucyDesi
18th December 2008, 12:54 AM
I have a carseat for my Stella. It's called the Lookout carseat. It comes in a single dog or a double dog variety. It fastens in with the seat belt. Then I put Stellas car harness on her and the Lookout comes with an attachment that secures her harness to the carseat. Stella loves her carseat (and Lucy uses it sometimes, too!).:thmbsup: