• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Dogs Dinner

Shivers

Porbably a silly question but ill ask anyway.... On Christmas day, can I make Belle a small dinner with some turkey & veg mixed together? We try not to give her scraps from the table but seeing as its a special occassion....?
What will you all do? Will your dogs get a bit extra spoiled for Christmas?

On Christmas I give them scrambled eggs on their kibble for breakfast and a small amount of turkey with their kibble for dinner. :)

Christmas Dinner

My lot get the whole thing for dinner - turkey, potatoes, bit of stuffing and loads of veg. It's the only day of the year that they get human food and they love it. Not a piece of kibble to be seen at our house on Christmas :rolleyes:

Not to be a debbie downer here but I had a very bad experience with this last Thanksgiving. Bella got some clean white meat turkey (no skin or fat) on Thanksgiving and after vomiting every 5 minutes we rushed her to the emergency room to find out that she got pancreatits which is very serious and life threatening. She was in the hospital for 4 days on heavy fluids, meds, etc - it was very very scary and one of the worst times of my life. Needless to say she got no turkey this year or ever will again! I think all dogs probably have different reactions to it and Bella obviously got the worst of it but please stay away and be safe rather than sorry! Here is a quick article I found on it as well: http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/dogs_holiday_foods_and_pancreatitis

That's a scary story BostonGirl! Mine have had turkey many times and are fine. I actually had a bit of turkey left over and gave them some for dinner last night along with a few other things. I would think turkey and veggies would be a nice treat, but after that story I would probably check out that link just to be safe...

I'm sure my 2 will get a special Christmas meal, but I'm not sure what yet...since I prepare all of their meals daily I'll have to think of something extra special...maybe I'll bake them something yummy...:)

Dinner

@ BostonGirl - must have been very scarey for you, hope everyone is ok now! I have never had a problem with giving dogs Christmas turkey (like you, all lean meat), I have heard some strange romours about turkey being poisonous to dogs but on further research I couldn't find any info to back it up. Such a terrible thing to happen to you.

Wow - that was an eye-opener. I think I'll just buy a high-quality tin of turkey dog food and mix that in with their kibble...What am I saying? I'll be in mexico for Christmas :))) - the housesitter can give my pair of mooches some tinned food :))))

Wow. Maddy is 2 and for the first time this Thanksgiving I gave her a "real meal".
I gave her turkey meat, mashed potatoes, squash and a tiny bit of gravy with some green beans. A very small helping. That day and the next she was fine, but Saturday she did poo quite a bit. I thought it was because we had been fishing, and I caught her taking a bite out of a fish. We pulled the fish out of her mouth but I think she got some!
Now I am not so sure.
Pam

Turkey can indeed be lethal to some dogs -- it seems to be primarily the skin and the dark meat is questionable as well. This is pretty well established. A small amount of white turkey meat that has no skin, no fat, no pan grease, is fine. (y) But be cautious what else you also add to a dog bowl.

Feeding fatty treats regularly -- eg scraps with a lot of calories/dfat -- slowly increases a dog's susceptibility to pancreatitis which can be fatal. Also, some dogs need only a single meal that is fatty or has the wrong ingredients to crash, as happened with Boston Girl.

This is why it is so important not to give fatty treats or scraps EVER and to make sure there's no turkey skin or fat at all if you add a bit of turkey meat! I would NOT give stuffing or gravy -- generally very fatty. One problem is that most people baste a turkey in the turkey's fat, the turkey may sit in drippings while roasting, and then carve the meat so that it may sit in fat from the pan or the skin, which permeates the meat. So if you give turkey take white meat straight off the bone and not the surface meat that was near the skin.

Pancreatitis is just one of the problems that occur with a high fat and unhealthy diet. The "typical" pancreatitis victim is middle-aged or older and overweight. It's common in both sexes, and very often the family has just had a party or a big holiday meal when this disease strikes. So, if your pet is often one that gets a table scrap here, a potato chip there, extra caution should be taken, as his possibility for an accute pacreatitis attack could already be high. However this doesn't OK you to indulge him if it's "just this once" or "just for the holiday." Things can turn bad quickly and with the hustle and bustle of the holidays; you may not be as alert to the first symptoms, or may pass them off as just nerves, stress or having a little too much turkey or all the family at the home for the holiday.

http://www.doghobbyist.com/articles/DogHobbyist/Thanksgiving.html

Rich, fatty foods such as turkey skin and dark turkey meat are difficult to digest and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in your dog, and in extreme cases, pancreatitis.

http://www.dogtopics.com/151/5-turkey-tips-for-thanksgiving/

Time for Sharing?

Although Thanksgiving is a time for sharing, the Animal Hospital staff urges you not to share your holiday meal leftovers with your pet. Table scraps, including Thanksgiving turkey, are unhealthy for pets. Turkey bones, fats, raw or spoiled meat could be especially dangerous to your pet’s health.
Pancreatitis:

The most common problem we see from pets eating turkey, turkey skin, gravy and other high fat foods is pancreatitis. Dogs do not metabolize fat as well as people do. Even a small amount of high fat food can cause a serious reaction from your dog’s pancreas. The pancreas releases digestive enzymes causing peritonitis and a life threatening inflammation of the pancreas and surrounding tissue.

http://www.animalhospitalofantioch.com/refId,22533/refDownload.pml

The high fat content in turkey skin can cause acute Pancreatitis in dogs.

http://www.seefido.com/dog-discussi...p?t=5870&sid=25ee23db9edacbed9e6a29311bc2499e

Yes, only give them a little bit of lean white meat and no skin, none of the fatty meat. Stuffing is likely to have onions in it as well as being fatty, so no stuffing at all!

Our vets say they see lots of dogs around the holidays from the owners feeding them table scraps.

Thank you so much for the information - I had no idea that fatty foods could be dangerous. Like I said, we dont feed her any scraps - not that she doesnt try to get us to :rolleyes:

Ill keep that in mind for Christmas - maybe a little bit of white turkey meat, some dry dog food & carrots. Doesnt that sound delicious? Ill give the spouts a miss though because I will be boiling them in the water from the ham so that would probably make them a bit greasy.

Mine often get a few left over vegies (so long as they've had no butter or salt added) & they get a bit of meat too so they will get a bit of Christmas dinner - but then I do give them less kibble.

One year I went to my mother in laws for Christmas dinner & felt bad for leaving the dogs on Christmas day & I had bought them pedigree rasks - they didnt have the small ones so I bought them medium ones & didnt think too much of it - just thought it would take them longer to eat them - well for 2 days I was clearing up 'rask' smelling diareah from everywhere - i will never buy them again!

My two have the veggies left over and a small amount of turkey that grandma makes especially for them with some gravy (made properly not out of a packet with loads of salt etc.)

We do suffer cabbage bottom for a day or two after but no squits or as grandad call's it "liquid gold"

All five of the girls get a couple bites of turkey, a little broth, some veggies and a lick off my finger of cool whip.

Back