• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Two totally random questions

avejo

Hi all, I've got two really random questions for those who have had cavaliers a long time. This is my first cav and also the first female dog I've ever had. The first question is about marking. My boy dogs wanted to make sure EVERYTHING they passed on their walks (save other humans) had some of their scent on it. Do females mark too? On our walks, I'll be sure Lady's emptied her bladder, but then she seems to have a bit left over for some choice spots at the park. I can't tell if she's just trying to get everything out while we're on our walk or if it's a turf thing.

Second question: when I've heard dogs cry or whine, it's been loud and very apparent - it's also always been related to their first few nights with us as their new owners. Do dogs every cry more quietly? Sometimes I can't tell if Lady's quietly crying as she's in and out of sleep or if it's just a whistle sound she's making as she's exhaling. I can't figure out why she'd be crying, so I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks for any insight! :p

Hi, Question 1) Its probably just a turf thing, just marking the spot. However she could have a problem with cystitus or similar - they will often wee little and often with that. I would make a vet appt just to rule it out.

Question 2) Probably dreaming. Sometimes they can have a dream where they are very active - quietly whining,growling,yapping, etc and you can see their paws and ears twitch where they are dreaming of running. I usually just gently stroke their head and murmour something reassuring.
(just in case its a scary dream).:)

I have one female who just goes once (Lucy). Lily, however, marks constantly on walks -- almost as frequently as the boys. It really depends on the dog. Some females definitely will mark, and some boys don't do it much.

Sasha must definitely be marking then... she pees as soon as we go out, and then stops to pee many other times. Interestingly, it's usually in the same spots... I don't know why that would be.

Does it say anything about a female's personality if they mark, as opposed to if they don't? I mean, does it mean they are more territorial? Or does it mean nothing at all... :)

Mindy marks at all the pee stops (trees, special snowbanks, etc.). When we had our Golden I don't remember her doing it (he did). When she is outside at home she only pees when she needs to.

She isn't territorial at all - I thinks she's just saying "I was here" lol.

Back