• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A terrible mistake, Dylan at vets.

*Pauline*

My son gave Dylan one of my daughters epilepsy pills by mistake, she left hers by his in the kitchen, it's usually in the bathroom. I was feeling sick in the bathroom when she wanted her pill this morning so I said to take it in the kitchen. They both have the same pill organizer but in different colours. I was ill in bed this afternoon so asked Ash to give Dylan his pill. I only came down to tell him to turn his music off and noticed Dylan's pill still in the box. So Dylan is at the vets being made to vomit and they are keeping him in. This only happened 30 mins ago so I am still in a state. I had such a big panic attack. I got Dylan to the vet within about 15 mins so it should be ok but of course I feel awful and wish I'd never asked Antonia to take her pills in the kitchen.

I didn't have time to post the above. He's home now. Seems fine, they found the pill semi dissolved, still wrapped in ham. I gave him HIS pill and have to give him his dinner an hour later with charcoal in it.

He's playing with his favourite toy and I am still a wreck!

Oh no, but an easy mistake to make! Looks like it hadn't been absorbed into his system if it was half dissolved in the ham.
Of course he's fine!!! How are you now?
Sins

I thought he'd feel rough after they made him sick but he's running around playing as usual. I had a panic attack and now I have an upset tummy icon_blshing

Oh, poor you and Dylan! I am sure he is going to be okay if they sent him home and he is acting so "fine". It is very fortunate you caught the mistake to get him in! I worry about pills myself. Cavaliers are so small, it would only take one human pill to be a massive overdose of something.

You might already know this, but if you ever need to induce vomiting in a dog, you do so by force-feeding them hydrogen peroxide with a syringe. This was instructed to me by the ASPCA poison control hotline about 4 years ago when Kaya accidentally got a massive overdose of Ivermectin. They will start foaming at the mouth and vomiting in minutes. Just make sure that inducing vomiting is the proper course of action before you do.

I cross my fingers for Dylan. I hope he will be OK :hug: Don't blame yourself, it could have happened to anyone.

I don't think you can buy that here in the UK. It cost me £53 I think, or was it £58...

He ate some of the charcoal, his whole dinner is black, I put some treats in it but he only ate half.

Oh Pauline, don't blame yourself. You should be please you noticed and acted so super fast:flwr:

At least he seems back to his normal self:hug:

Pauline,

Accidents happen - it was only a couple of months ago when Oakley was at the vets because he ate Grandad's blood pressure tablet!

You got to the vet in time - thats the thing and if he's playing around now - no harm done:) Don't beat yourself up.

TC

Kirsty and da' boys:paw:

Hey Pauline,

The main thing is that you acted as fast as you did. Accidents happen. Dylan is fine, but now you need to start feeling better. I hope both of you are feeling back to normal tomorrow. :xfngr:

It's only a couple of dollars for the Hydrogen Peroxide here in the US. I wonder if we can ship it to you? hmmm..

You can buy hydrogen peroxide at the chemist.

But putting a washing soda crystal down the throat usually works well too - but please make sure it's something you want them to vomit back up - as otherwise they could burn their throat and mouth :(

So glad Dylan is ok now - hugs for you both.

Pauline , have just read your post . What a horrible thing to happen . I hope you have recovered from the shock of it all . You poor thing ! :flwr:

Dylan seems full of beans. It's weird as he wasn't too good this morning, woke me up at 7:30am (he never barks in the morning) and yelped so I gave him half a rimadyl, now he's great. Thank you so much for your posts.

Nicki, is it the same stuff you bleach hair with? How do you make it up?

Glad he's ok now. Lucky you were able to react so quickly. Hope you've managed to calm down by now. Sending hugs.

Poor Pauline,

I have just read this.

You have had a horrible time, thank goodness Dylan is alright. These things do happen.

I must admit that when I have a stressful day I can look at my nine dogs eating together in the kitchen & pray that I put the right pills in the right bowl.

Margaret C

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad he isn't showing any signs of being ill at all. What a relief. I'm off to bed now, I'm full of cold. Good night everyone. :flwr:

How scary! :eek: Good you were able to act quickly and great that he's back home.

Pauline,

A freind at work has fur babies but not children. She was traveling with her favorite dog to Oklahoma. She carefully laid out two pills on the counter - a vet prescribed sedative for the dog that gets car sick and her birth control pill. OOPS - she switched them and took the doggy downer and gave her dog the hormone pill. The vet said it would be fine, not to worry, but she had to call her mom and say she would be coming much later as she had to take a nap. It happens..........................

Back