• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drastic Shedding???

CavCross

We are minding our ex-foster cavalier for the weekend, who now lives with my in-laws. They dropped her off and said she is really shedding bad at the last couple of days. I gave her a rub and got a handful of hair and was so surprised MIL said she just brushed her before she came up too!!!

So I got out my rake brush & zoom groom and OH MY GOD the amount of hair that came off her. There was a huge pile and I've just given up. The only thing I can think of is she was an outdoor dog living in kennels prior now she is living indoors, where there is someone home all day long and therefore heating is on a fair bit and the house is always warm so I wonder is her coat adapting to her enviroment? Or perhaps she should get checked with over with the vets?

I'm not sure cavcross but I would think the heating had a good chance of being the culprit especially if the little one was an outside dog

it is probably a combination of the change to being indoor, though cavs don't have double coats. My collie and my malamute don't seem to shed much of their regular coat, but they shed their downy undercoat in response to changes in temps. In the winter both the collie and malamute prefer to be outside even in really cold weather. They just feel too hot and uncomfortable in the heated house.

Stress/change can make them shed, and all the changes might have them shedding. They also naturally shed their coat (called blowing their coat) a time or two a year, and that may be what is going on.

Thanks guys - It is due to her outdoor to indoor home change and also could be related to her spay and hormonal change so - phew - all is is okay! (y)

Back