PDA

View Full Version : Ruby female Colorado

frecklesmom
4th December 2008, 08:35 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/frecklesmom/morgan.jpg

This is Morgan- a stray- at small shelter near Colorado Springs,Co. Unable to locate "kill" "no kill" information. Picture is poor. Sad little girl. Cavalier Rescue notified by email.
Rescue at first not interested b'cuz as this person has stated b4-shelters only turn over the worst to them. Informed Rescue that a person on another forum had gotten thru to this shelter,they stated they were a "kill" shelter and that they did turn over to Rescue. Rescue now states if owner not found they will take dog into Rescue.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12512194

La Junta Animal Shelter
La Junta, CO 81050
Phone: (719)-384-0347

tara
5th December 2008, 01:18 AM
Just learned that Lucky Star is going to take this guy out of the shelter. A wonderful woman in Colorado is going to get him Saturday, as he's a couple hours away and she's in the middle of a snow storm. Thanks for posting this Frecklesmom! It's one of the saddest pictures I've seen, but hopefully Morgan has a very bright future:)

Dublin
5th December 2008, 09:06 AM
Oh poor little girlie, she looks sooooooo sad.:(

frecklesmom
7th December 2008, 12:58 AM
:updte:

Well, here's the down-both Cavalier Rescues decided he (sorry,Morgan, I miss id'd your sex) was not Cavalier (great insight by phone) and would not rescue him. The picture was doubtful.........
The UP-he has been taken in as a foster by a lady who has Cavaliers and promises only a good home for him and this person says this shelter gives great loving care to the dogs.

tara
7th December 2008, 01:25 AM
Yes, Morgan is in a good place now. Today I spoke with both the shelter and the foster and feel relieved with the circumstances. The shelter thinks Morgan was dumped there by his miller (in the middle of a snowstorm!). I also know that Lucky Star would have taken Morgan had he not gone into foster care first. They have also extended an offer to assist the foster mom should the need arise.

However it happened, the bottom line is that this guy is safe and hopefully on his way to a forever home!

Karlin
7th December 2008, 11:18 AM
Rescue at first not interested b'cuz as this person has stated b4-shelters only turn over the worst to them.

I am so angry here.

Well what the hell is breed rescue for? Surely the 'worst' cases are the ones that need them most? :sl*p: I am disgusted at that attitude. I am so sick and tired of the 'ladies who lunch' approach of too many club rescues, who in many cases in the UK and US are sitting on cashpiles figuring in the 10s of thousands of dollars/pounds PER CLUB. Yes, you read that right. I know of severalrescues between the UK and the US with upwards of £50,000 in their RESCUE/WELFARE fund; breed rescues that for example have a policy of not accepting dogs without papers or until owners vaccinate and do basic preparation themselves (money is often an issue -- this is often the point at which the dog gets put down, deliberately strayed, tied to a post, etc instead). Club rescues that consider putting down a dog rather than spend money to address its health issues which are not life threatening. What are they saving that money and their efforts for? Rehoming nice dogs who come in with papers to my mind barely qualifies as rescue. Given the demand for cavaliers, especially a nice, well bred cavalier, those dogs walk into new homes.

The ones that need real help -- eg that need to be RESCUED by breed RESCUE -- are the abandoned, the miller dogs, the old, the ill, the abused, the misused, the unwanted, the ones with behaviour issues, the neglected, the ones that won't be a model for the breed standard anytime soon.

I would love to know just how many dogs those two rescues actually have in rescue at the moment that they couldn't help, and couldn't draw upon all the money and individuals they have within the club as a resource to help a dog that clearly is at least mostly cavalier and to me looks like a typical mill dog.

I am glad that other rescues/individuals and the shelter itself helped out this dog. :flwr:

But this whole situation made me so angry as I read it and added to a stockpile of similar stories I have now heard. Thank goodness for some dedicated folks in breed club rescue and some really good clubs. The others are an insult to the whole notion of breed rescue and should be ashamed of themselves and let more capable, dedicated people within their clubs take their lazy places. :mad:

frecklesmom
7th December 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for writing it,Karlin, because this has been hard to deal with. It's the second time to receive the "canned" statement in this area and it is so confusing-kind of like "when is rescue not rescue" and, excuse me, but "who are you rescuing"? Lucky Star is involved and that was confusing at first because he is not a known mill dog. The warm hearted foster feels he is a Cavalier-a big boy. Think we have figured how to go about requesting assistance for this area from Rescue -talk about trial and error-for any future ones we note on the web. Got so spoiled with Nancy and rescuers like her that we did get a final wake-up call here. It's hard when you can't go pull them because of distance-not a DIY act. Thank goodness for Cavalier loving forum members who don't give up.

Friday's Mommy
7th December 2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry I don't post here more often. I do lurk to read the amazing health posts because Friday, my first cavalier, has severe SM and had PSOM.

I was invovled with Lucky Star to go pick up this cavalier in La Junta and foster him. I just want everyone to know that Lucky Star approved him immediately. I didn't pick him up right away because the shelter is 2 hours away and is only open for 2 hours in the afternoon. By the time we talked to her the first day when I saw Tara's post, they would have been closed even if we took off immediately plus we were in the middle of a snow storm. The very sweet gal who runs the shelter, only answers the phone for those 2 hours also. Although the pictures are upsetting this must be a caring shelter because they spent a couple days trying to catch him when he was probably dumped at the shelter. She said they were a kill shelter but would release to breed rescue.

Because I work full time, my husband was going to go get him, but we heard there was a hold on him for 3 to 5 days. I wanted to confirm that. In the meantime I had contacted a gal I know who adopted one of my foster dogs who lives there. I was hoping she would check on him, plus see if she knew of him because it's a small rural area and wanted to see if she knew he was somebody's dog. She forwarded the email to another gal in the area who owns cavaliers and is familiar with the breed. This gal went and checked on him and couldn't stand the thought of leaving him at the shelter another day and decided on her own to foster him for the shelter. When I talked to the gal who runs the shelter on the 2nd day I thought I was getting the run around by the shelter but wasn't after I got an email of his whereabouts. He really was in foster care. All that matters to me is that he is safe and sound in his new foster home. She will be getting him vetted. I did send an email saying if she felt overwhelmed I would bring him to my home to foster for LS and be vetted which I had already arranged through Mill Dog Rescue Network, another rescue I'm involved with here in Colorado Springs. Mill Dog didn't hesitate to help.

I know this is confusing, but the ball really wasn't dropped in this case, at least with Lucky Star. Distance and the fact that the shelter is only open limited hours is the reason we didn't get him immediately. I can't speak for any other rescue group because I'm not involved with them. I really don't know LS's policies but have never run into LS not wanting to help with dogs here.

Hope this helps clear up some of what was going on.

frecklesmom
7th December 2008, 06:13 PM
Friday's Mom, because of you and your network and Lucky Star and Tara and the forum encouragement, this Ruby is safe. The real frustration came from time wasted trying a different Rescue-but that is solved. :flwr: to you for all the work.

Brian M
7th December 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi

What a difficult story but what a superb ending . It makes you really appreciate the amount of hard work and time of all the people involved in rescue ,may I and my three girls say a big THANKS to all.:flwr::flwr::flwr:

Cathy T
7th December 2008, 11:30 PM
Thank God for all of you who worked so diligently on this. I know (from personal experience!!!) the amount of phone calls, runarounds and miscommunication that can go on. I'm just grateful you all didn't give up and persued saving this boy. Thanks for all of the info Terri. From other things I had read it sounded like they are a good little shelter doing the best they can. I was particularly impressed that in his ad they stated he was tied up only so his picture could be taken, others wouldn't have cared enough to make that statement.