• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flying with dogs in cargo

Love my Cavaliers

Does anyone have experience putting their dogs in cargo for a 3-4 hour flight? I have carried on, in the cabin, two of my dogs before, but one of my dogs is too big to carry on. He's only 25 pounds but the limit is 20 pounds and he's too long-limbed to be comfortable in an underseat carrier. He's also 7+ years old - don't know if age makes a difference. He's heart clear and healthy at this time. Any one with experience with this? I posted a similar message to this a few months ago, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm hoping to get a few more responses this time. Thanks.

I've flown mine a few times. Lucy came 10 hours from Calif to the UK and then onwards to Ireland. I've flown my boys as well, and Lucy also flew from the midwest to California. No problems; everyone was really nice. All dogs were already crate-trained.

My mom flew Hope, a 6 year old just sprung mill mama, cargo through the northwest VIP program. They were great with her and there were no problems.

The only thing I would caution you to do is (obviously) to check out the flight agency very carefully. Are they the first ones on, how long do they sit on the tar mac, do they get water, how do you know they are for sure in a temperature controlled environment, ect.. :)

Good luck :flwr: (y)

Mindy came to us by plane at 8 months old and when we moved across country 10 years ago both Mindy and Zeus (Retriever) flew cargo. They both did fine. The only problem I had - and things might have changed and different in different countries was once we got done the short leg of our flight I was informed that the next plane could only take one dog in cargo. I hadn't been allowed to "reserve" spots but called the day before I left to ensure everything was still ok. Mindy came on the flight with us and Zeus came on the next flight (which landed 1/2 hour later than we did). The airport and inflight staff was very good about keeping me informed that Zeus did in fact get on the plane and the ETA. I was very angry with the airline for not communicating this rule despite my multiple phone calls to ensure this wouldn't be a problem. I was travelling also with my two young kids as we were moving.

Despite the stress it was a fine experience and neither dog was too stressed. I know the airport staff took Zeus out for an extra walk due to the delay and me having to leave on an earlier plane.

Oh, thank you Karlin, Sara, and Mindysmom. I feel so much better. I was agonizing about having to put Oliver in cargo, just feeling so badly. He is crate trained and actually still loves the crate at almost 8 years of age. We just keep one crate out in our living room in case any of the four want to go in - and he chooses it most evenings. Hopefully that will make it easier for him. Did you put any toys in with your dogs? I assume he will sleep most of the time so I was thinking a toy from home would be more comforting rather than a play thing. Thanks again - I am breathing a huge sigh of relief to know that I'm not cruel to put him in cargo

Back