PDA

View Full Version : The Great eBay Challenge

Margaret C
10th December 2008, 01:28 PM
After the very successful eBay auction, which means we now have enough money to start the SM cavalier collection scheme, I was wondering if any one out there would like to join in an 'eBay Challenge'

Rules are simple......Choose something you no longer want ( it does not have to be in any way dog related ) & sell it on eBay.......If it does not sell you have lost a few pence in listing fees......If you win, you donate the money to the scheme.

If you have never sold anything on eBay before, then just think, now could be your chance to learn.

I would like to think this could be light hearted fun and that all members, wherever they are in the world, can join in.
Teasing each other is obligatory.

Get your husband, sons, daughters, grandchildren to add something of their own. Perhaps we can have a winner declared for each of them?

I'm sure we can think up some categories that can be won.....Most bids.... most useless object listed....... the most useless object actually sold.....Best reason for choosing particular item....Best family effort etc.

Come on, help me out here..... I can't do all the thinking myself.

Perhaps Karlin will consider sending the overall best effort ( not always the same as the most money raised ) a lollipop or some other exotic prize.

I am now selling things on eBay regularly as a fund raising exercise, but for this Grand Challenge I am going to add a second hand cassette of 'Christmas Carols from Guildford Cathedral'.

I have no idea when we got it, but in a family that has had CD players for many years it must be quite old.
The carols are the lovely traditional ones, Silent Night, While Shepherds Watched, Good King Wencelas etc.

I think I will put the starting price at 99p but make the postage & packing free ( it will cost under 50p second class ) So I only need one bid to make a profit of 49p........ Well it all adds up!
I'll put it on for 7 days.

There is not that much demand for cassette tapes now, but it is seasonal.
Does anyone want to make a guess whether it will sell or not?

Hope some of you will find time to join in.

Margaret C

Edited to add details of how to send monies raised:

Monies raised can be made via PayPal https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_home&country_lang.x=true. Entering the following email address at the PayPal site will bring up the 'SM DNA Fund' account: penny.knowler@ntlworld.com. Donations can be made in several currencies using a credit card or PayPal funds.

Please PM Margaret C with the date and amount, so that the money can allocated for the SM Collection Project.

Alternatively you can make a cheque out to 'SM DNA Fund' & send it to Margaret, please PM her for the address.

Thanking you in advance.

Jan Bell
10th December 2008, 01:32 PM
:thmbsup: Great idea Margaret, I will be selling all those exercise dvd's I've bought and never used. Good time to have a clear out before the New Year.

I will let you know what I have on e-bay as soon as I have worked out how to do it!

AT
10th December 2008, 02:04 PM
I think I will put the starting price at 99p but make the postage & packing free ( it will cost under 50p second class ) So I only need one bid to make a profit of 49p........ Well it all adds up!
I'll put it on for 7 days.

Margaret C

Dont forget your listing fee's & ebays commission has to come out of the final price aswell as the postage.

also For anyone selling things that are suitable for international buyers ebay.com has a half price listing day today

Margaret C
10th December 2008, 02:51 PM
Dont forget your listing fee's & ebays commission has to come out of the final price aswell as the postage.

also For anyone selling things that are suitable for international buyers ebay.com has a half listing price day today

Oops, I always forget those costs, I'll end up paying them if I'm not careful.

My beautiful daughter has just emailed me to say she has put on blonde hair extensions, eBay Item number: 150315154141, as her contribution.

I reckon that is a good start to the useless item category, or am I just showing my age?http://board.cavaliertalk.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Margaret C

Brian M
10th December 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Margaret

Thats an excellent idea ,but do I presume it excludes wives and young boys ,cos if it doesn't not that I would get much money for them but it would certainly save me a lot of cash and make a lot more room for more Cavaliers .HURRAY.
Prior to getting my Honda CRV last year I had a great big Nissan for which I bought a pair of spotlamps which I still have almost new somewhere (Dawn has a habit of if I haven't moved something for a couple of days it disappears she calls it keeping the house tidy I call it by a different name) and I keep on meaning to sell them but the deterrent has always been parceling them up and then the harassment of carting them to the P Office , but if the reason is for our Cavaliers there can be no better incentive.
If people put items up for sale on ebay ,which I have never done yet ,will they just be spread all over the different categories or will there be a link to group them to each other so Jo public can view all the items if he wants to specifically help the cause and would you think that we should mention that any monies raised would be donated to the scheme.

Margaret C
10th December 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Margaret

Thats an excellent idea ,but do I presume it excludes wives and young boys ,cos if it doesn't not that I would get much money for them but it would certainly save me a lot of cash and make a lot more room for more Cavaliers .HURRAY.
Prior to getting my Honda CRV last year I had a great big Nissan for which I bought a pair of spotlamps which I still have almost new somewhere (Dawn has a habit of if I haven't moved something for a couple of days it disappears she calls it keeping the house tidy I call it by a different name) and I keep on meaning to sell them but the deterrent has always been parceling them up and then the harassment of carting them to the P Office , but if the reason is for our Cavaliers there can be no better incentive.
If people put items up for sale on ebay ,which I have never done yet ,will they just be spread all over the different categories or will there be a link to group them to each other so Jo public can view all the items if he wants to specifically help the cause and would you think that we should mention that any monies raised would be donated to the scheme.

Brian, you are a Star.
That sounds like something in the 'really useful if you have a great big Nissan ' category.
I bet they sell.

I don't think they let you auction wives or children on eBay, but you could always try. We're not proud, we will take money from anything.

If Roger keeps pinching the quilt from my side of the bed he will end up on there, starting price 99p, buyer collects in person.

I'm pretty new at eBay selling myself so I'm not sure, but I think they will be spread in different categories. I don't know if there is any way of linking our items, but we could all post the number their eBay numbers on this thread. My carol singing tape is Item number: 290281992702.

The scheme is not a charity, so I'm not sure whether it is within eBay rules to say what the money will be used for. Does anyone out there know?

Margaret C

HollyDolly
10th December 2008, 06:40 PM
I have a Jewellery shop on ebay and was wondering if it would be in order to post details of the shop on this board. I will donate 10% of sales to SM research. Perhaps Karlin or a Moderator would let me know, do not want to do anything that would cause any problems.

Nicki
10th December 2008, 08:02 PM
I can't see that it's a problem HollyDolly - especially in light of your very kind offer :D

Perhaps you could also post the link in Shop-a-holics?

{Our view is that we are happy to accept links from members who actively post on the board - BUT not if people are only here to advertise their own business}

Margaret, I will go to :*bay:now :) details to follow...

Thanks to Brian, Jan and Vicki too :)

HollyDolly
10th December 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanyou Nicki.
The link:-
http://storesebay.co.uk/GEMSTONE-JEWELLERY-BOUTIQUE. (IGNORE THIS NOW CORRECT LINK IS ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD)

From now on 10% of all sales will go to SM research. Perhaps Margaret C will kindly let me have the details of where to send monies and I will do this on a monthly basis. Is there anyway it could be made a charity? and then we could ask ebay to list it as one. Just a thought.

Nanette

Nicki
10th December 2008, 09:52 PM
OK after a bit of a struggle {I confess to not really being very technically minded ;)} I've managed to list my item - IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN!!!

I'm proposing a category of "most wanted Cavalier book" LOL - I wanted this for ages, it's lovely to read and I think it's time someone else get to read and treasure it. :flwr:

Nicki
10th December 2008, 09:56 PM
Nanette, thank you for doing that but the link isn't working for me :( told you I'm not great with :*bay: LOL

It just comes up to stores and you need to search but I'm not finding you?

HollyDolly
10th December 2008, 11:07 PM
Just a tip, list an item to go live at weekends or after eightish in the evenings, more people shop after all the soaps have finished. You can schedule a start time for just 6 pence more.:*bay:
No you are right Nicki it's not working for me either. My user name is frank8356 on ebay but I will go and check it all out and re post.

HollyDolly
10th December 2008, 11:19 PM
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GEMSTONE-JEWELLERY-BOUTIQUE (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GEMSTONE-JEWELLERY-BOUTIQUE)

Ok Think I have it right now, sorry about that. Enjoy looking.

Nicki
11th December 2008, 04:48 PM
Yes that's working for me now - you have some beautiful things :D

Margaret C
12th December 2008, 11:45 AM
OK after a bit of a struggle {I confess to not really being very technically minded ;)} I've managed to list my item - IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN!!!

I'm proposing a category of "most wanted Cavalier book" LOL - I wanted this for ages, it's lovely to read and I think it's time someone else get to read and treasure it. :flwr:

Thank you Nicki that is a wonderful contribution.
I remember seeing this book, must be 25-30 years ago. I have not seen a copy since.

Any body else up to the challenge?
It really is not that difficult, if you go into eBay, click on 'Sell' and follow the instructions for the quick sell option, it is really quite easy.
I find a certain satisfaction in seeing it all come up as a listing.

It is best if you have a photo, but you can do it without, or even edit your item later to add a photo.

I am useless with a camera, so I got Roger to do a batch of 70 items ( mainly tapes, year books, old club magazines and miscellaneous items ) He did them on the garden table to get a good light with no reflections, and complained bitterly about cold feet while he was doing so.....

My daughter's partner has donated the CD below. Has anyone heard of them or is this for the 'who? category'

Jack Johnson CD 'On and On' Special Edition

Item number: 150315759992http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

My gorgeous Grandson has donated a 2004 Beano Annual, item 150315759110:rah:

I wonder if Brian has found his spot lamps yet, or is he going to be forced to contribute Dawn?

Margaret C

Brian M
12th December 2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Margaret

Yes Dawn found Brians spot lamps stashed in the loft where loads of my things disappear to .As I said if I don't move an item or use it for a week or so it just disappears or as my good lady says it gets tied up ,then they miraculously appear somewhere in the loft ,my problem is I am not allowed up there as I will find all sorts of things and then fetch them back down again .I actually brought them into work and I have photographed them filled out all the forms on Ebay ,for the first time as a seller ,then at the end it says to enter my home phone number and they ring and give you a confirmation number ,so I will do this later and post the selling number on the forum so we can all admire my handiwork.:rah:

Jan Bell
12th December 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm supposed to be working from home today, but I keep wandering off to look at doggie things, so at this rate I will be working until midnight :eek:.

Anyway, I have just posted all of my redundant yoga DVDs on e-bay: no idea if they will sell, but we will see.

I used to do 2-3 Ashtanga Yoga classes a week and topped them up with a bit of home practice - though I actually only used about three of the DVD's I had - but I have to finally accept that Ashtanga is not a good option for my now dodgy knee :( and move over to a more gentle form of yoga and Pilates instead. So it will do me good to sell the DVDs in aid of Cavaliers.

If they don't sell I will put them in the jumble, but donate £1 for each to the SM fund anyway.

Listing numbers:

Margaret C
12th December 2008, 05:30 PM
Thank you so much.

I had a quick look. Looks rather like a form of torture to me. My arthritic knees nearly buckled at the photo of
David Swenson Yoga Short Forms - DVD, CD & Card set (Item number: 330294000502http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif):eek:

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
I love HollyDolly's beautiful items.

We have only had people from the UK so far.

I know that we can only collect dogs in this Country, but we are all in this together, and the results of this study could benefit cavaliers worldwide.
Does anyone have an unwanted articles hidden away somewhere, so we can go International?

Margaret C

Jan Bell
12th December 2008, 05:42 PM
I had a quick look. Looks rather like a form of torture to me. My arthritic knees nearly buckled at the photo of
David Swenson Yoga Short Forms - DVD, CD & Card set (Item number: 330294000502http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif):eek:

Oh I really liked the David Swenson one - I did a three day course with him at the Yoga Union in Edinburgh a few years ago and you would not believe the positions he could get his body into!

I am going to see what else I have to put on e-bay tomorrow - it's so easy that I think I could get addicted.

Brian M
12th December 2008, 08:54 PM
Hi :jump:

Hurray after my second attempt those lights are now listed as item number 320324830671 so if people could pls have a look and tell me what you think good or bad pls as its my first ever go selling previously always been a buyer ,if Dawn would let me up in that loft there will be loads of things I will have forgotten about over the years that been sneaked away and hidden from me.

Brian M
12th December 2008, 09:03 PM
Hi

Just another thought had a look at Nickis book which looks a very good book but its had no bids ,so I have entered a bid for it to start the ball rolling and hopefully now its up and running it will attract loads more bids that it so deserves.:thmbsup:

Margaret C
12th December 2008, 10:10 PM
Hi :jump:

Hurray after my second attempt those lights are now listed as item number 320324830671 so if people could pls have a look and tell me what you think good or bad pls as its my first ever go selling previously always been a buyer ,if Dawn would let me up in that loft there will be loads of things I will have forgotten about over the years that been sneaked away and hidden from me.

My goodness, I'm impressed.
Five photos, and 'Buy It Now' facility.
Well done Brian.

Margaret C

merlinsmum
13th December 2008, 01:39 PM
I have a stack of books that need getting rid off - will get them on there today:)

Jan Bell
13th December 2008, 01:45 PM
Five photos, and 'Buy It Now' facility.:snap:

Well now you are just showing off Brian!
:jump::jump::jump::jump:

merlinsmum
13th December 2008, 01:54 PM
I may wait until X factor is on as EBAY is soooooooooooo slow at the mo'

Nicki
15th December 2008, 05:14 PM
How did you get on Kirsty???

Well I've spoken to a friend today, she has an incredibly talented husband who makes beautiful things out of wood.

He has a POCKET WATCH STAND to donate which they are going to send up to me - it may take a while with the Christmas post, but as soon as it arrives I will photograph it and put in on :*bay:

I bought one of these from him some years ago for a present, they are really stunning, and just the perfect thing for a pocket watch - as they are difficult to display otherwise!

So if you have anyone with a birthday in the New Year - or want to start next year's Christmas Shopping early :jump:, WATCH THIS SPACE!!

Nicki
17th December 2008, 09:15 PM
ONLY 30 MINUTES LEFT FOR THE BOOK!! {and it's doing really well, thanks everyone :) }

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=140288304964

Brian M
17th December 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Nikki

I hope you are feeling a wweny bit better after your horrible few days after your loss of that tremendous Special Cavalier Rupert as you and I know time is the only healer pls look after yourself and the rest of the gang. Your book on ebay as it stands strangely the highest bidder is me,so if i presume I last the pace and win it can i have your permission to read it and then return itto you so you can then re-ebay it .:)

Best wishes
Brian

Nicki
17th December 2008, 09:24 PM
Oh Brian that is really really lovely of you :thmbsup: What a kind and thoughtful offer.

If you win it {Paws crossed:) } - now you're the expert at listing, I would be happy for you to re-Ebay it when you've finished it if you like? Otherwise I'm more than happy to do so.

Thank you for your kind words too :flwr: I have collected Rupert's ashes today, so feel a bit better for having "him" back home.

Nicki
17th December 2008, 09:53 PM
Well done Brian on winning the book :thmbsup: Thank you so much.

Brian M
17th December 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Nikki

You have made me very happy tonight just read that beautiful Oscar has been rehomed HURRAY oh i do so hope it works out ,what a glorious ending and a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to you ,as you rescue people are the real stars the rest of us just help a tiny tiny bit on the sidelines ,Oh a great big thanks. And I had a little bit of luck I won your book 26 + 3 p&p can i pay now via papal and of course we ill liaise once i have read it i can post it back to you to go back on ebay or if u want i can put it back on ebay .
Oh i am so pleased about Oscar many many tks again

Kindest Regards
Brian

Brian M
17th December 2008, 10:06 PM
HI nikki

Paid

Nicki
17th December 2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you so much Brian - will put it in the post to you tomorrow :thmbsup:

It's really good news about Oscar, lovely that he's in his new home in time for Christmas.

Janet P
17th December 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not so happy :(
Took my eye off the ball and missed it!!!!!!!!!!

Margaret C
17th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Nikki

You have made me very happy tonight just read that beautiful Oscar has been rehomed HURRAY oh i do so hope it works out ,what a glorious ending and a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to you ,as you rescue people are the real stars the rest of us just help a tiny tiny bit on the sidelines ,Oh a great big thanks. And I had a little bit of luck I won your book 26 + 3 p&p can i pay now via papal and of course we ill liaise once i have read it i can post it back to you to go back on ebay or if u want i can put it back on ebay .
Oh i am so pleased about Oscar many many tks again

Kindest Regards
Brian

Well done Brian and Nicki, you are certainly proving to be expert eBayers :thmbsup:
I really, really, appreciate what you are doing.

I have to admit to a great big failure :( no one wanted my tape of Christmas Carols (can't blame them, nor did I) so I must take the prize for the most useless item that did not sell.

Tomorrow I will have to look & see what else I have got that may sell. I do still have another couple of items listed, & Roger donated a Wilbur Smith audio book, but only if I put it on for him ( typical )

My daughter & family sent £10, but I'm not sure if the hair extensions or any of their items actually sold. I'll have to check.

The earlier auction plus a donation meant that I have just sent £520.22p to the SM DNA Fund, where it will be ring fenced for the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme.

If you donate any of your money from the eBay challenge direct to the SM DNA Fund , please let me know, so I can make sure that it is flagged up that it is for the Collection Scheme.

Margaret C

Nicki
18th December 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm not so happy :(
Took my eye off the ball and missed it!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Janet :( - but don't worry, Brian has very kindly said that he will donate it again once he's read it - we'll let you know once it's relisted :D

Margaret, that's a fantastic total so far :thmbsup: Will get a cheque off to Penny, and e-mail you too so that you can keep a note.

What a shame about the carol tape :( but well done to Vicki and family:thmbsup:

Jan Bell
19th December 2008, 09:05 AM
:( Not doing well on the e-bay bids (none!) but I have what I think is a "pity purchase" from a friend who says that she will buy the "non-ashtanga" DVD for £3. I will donate £1 each for the others if they don't sell by Sunday and put them in my local jumble.

Who do I send the money to?

:) Better fundraising news: I have a sewing machine in the loft (supersceded by a more whizzy model) which I was thinking about putting on e-bay but was concerned about the carriage costs for the buyer. However, I think I have found somebody who will buy it locally, though I won't be seeing her until January. Won't make a fortune (about £25 I think) but every little helps.

:snap:I have also got a few unabridged audio books I will scan the cover for a photo to put on e-bay. I will leave it until after Christmas now though, and I will post here when I have put them up.

:xfngr: I too had a bid on Nikki's book but missed the final day so will have a try again when it re-appears. I have some Cavalier and Border Terrier prints by Gill Evans so am particularly interested in her illustrations.

Brian M
20th December 2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Nicki
Book arrived this morning so I shall read it and post it back to you with compliments and of course leave excellent feedback on ebay ,it might be after Xmas though (the post back not the feedback) let the post load lighten ,pls let us all know Oscar settles down fine .Just checked my Ebay sale and still only that one bidder of £50 but 9 watching and 96 views so fingers crossed I might get higher bids .:)

Called in to work this morning to feed my cats (all shut now till Jan 5 but of course I have keys) its in the centre of Birkenhead and theres a market close so I buy £5 worth of chicken/turkey bits give them half (rest tomorrow) with a box of cat biscuits and two tins of cat food and put the tray in a big wooden kennel the lads built to keep the food dry and somewhere out of th weather to eat ,theres 8 of them all together so that will be my daily task till we go back and its only about 5 mile from home .The bad news is Lukes just said his Xbox 360 is not working and as we have already bought all his Xmas stuff including a couple of Xbox games and a laptop and loads more I suppose I will have to go and get him a new one of them otherwise he will have a face on him ,but then again hes Dawns and mine only child (thank heavens we could not afford any more) though she has two and I have three from previous marriages that are all grown up and departed and now I am a good lad and dont drink or smoke so its not too bad .I phoned my vets before to find out who does an emergency clinic ,after reading an horrendous post on another Cav forum ,just in case Tammi takes a bad turn and my vets use another local practice and not thankfully an agency .

Nicki you taped the book up well I shall have to be oh so careful opening it ,thanks again.

Margaret C
21st December 2008, 11:48 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for Tammi.

Those cats at your workplace are so lucky you work there.

Roger's audio book sold and so did a 1985 year book & some Cavalier Club magazines from 1980 ( I have so many of these, from the eastern & southern clubs as well so I will just keep putting them on ) that totals about £12, so makes up for my dismal result with the Xmas carols.

I will put on some more tapes and books once I have sorted myself out for Christmas.

My daughter is doing all the cooking and entertaining this year, so I will have things easy but it does feel wrong not to have a turkey on order.

Margaret C

Brian M
22nd December 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi and Hurray

My two spot lights which have been stashed away in the loft have just been sold on Ebay for the sum of £71.99 plus £12.50 p&p so of course this sum goes to Margaret's SM fund (provided they pay me) and also after having recently read all those tragic stories about our beautiful dogs IE Rupert ,Cailean and also Madison and all the other boys and girls that have recently made the trip to Rainbow Bridge (and shortly to be followed by my darling white pussycat Tammi) I will pay the postage and Ebay charges so there will be no monies deducted from the amount I receive.

Didn't those lights do well ,so if it wasn't for you MC they will still now be gathering dust up in the loft ,and when Luke was a baby /toddler he was a big fan of Thomas The Tank Engine so there must be at least 20 train sets up there somewhere ,but thats for the future

Jan Bell
22nd December 2008, 09:56 PM
:razz: I am very happy too Brian - not made as much as you but I have sold all my DVD's!

It's the first time I have sold on e-bay and I thought that they notified you when somebody bid, hence I thought I hadn't had anyone bidding. But today I came home from work to find e-mails telling me that various sums of money had been paid to my PayPal account.

I sold (not including postage) the David Swenson DVD/Video/Cards for £11.50, and the other various Rodney Yee ones for a total of £20.29.

So, not a fortune, but £31.79 which is better than nothing!

Better get posting them out tomorrow, and will make sure I get my audio books listed after Christmas to see if I can raise a bit more.

Margaret C
22nd December 2008, 10:02 PM
Didn't those lights do well ,so if it wasn't for you MC they will still now be gathering dust up in the loft ,and when Luke was a baby /toddler he was a big fan of Thomas The Tank Engine so there must be at least 20 train sets up there somewhere ,but thats for the future

Brian,

Thank you seems inadequate. :) This is a wonderful result. We may have enough to pay for two dogs by January.

Hopefully more people will think about items they have stashed away gathering dust, & try selling on eBay.
Perhaps they will make it their New Year's resolution? ( and sell some unwanted Xmas presents )

I am pleased to say the Cavalier Club has put the notice about the SM Collection Scheme on their website. Hopefully some of the regional clubs & other cavalier sites will follow their lead.
Nobody wants to think of any cavalier being put to sleep, but it does sometimes happen, & we need owners of SM dogs to know that the scheme exists.

Margaret C

Margaret C
22nd December 2008, 10:26 PM
:razz: I am very happy too Brian - not made as much as you but I have sold all my DVD's!

It's the first time I have sold on e-bay and I thought that they notified you when somebody bid, hence I thought I hadn't had anyone bidding. But today I came home from work to find e-mails telling me that various sums of money had been paid to my PayPal account.

I sold (not including postage) the David Swenson DVD/Video/Cards for £11.50, and the other various Rodney Yee ones for a total of £20.29.

So, not a fortune, but £31.79 which is better than nothing!

Better get posting them out tomorrow, and will make sure I get my audio books listed after Christmas to see if I can raise a bit more.

Jan,
Well done, what a result. :rah: Thank you so much.
Please everybody, do take off postage & eBay selling commission. You are being generous enough donating the items & your time, I don't want anyone out of pocket.

The money can be paid through the PayPal link to the SM DNA account on Karlin's smcavalier.com website ( let me know when you have sent it, so I know how much we have got ) or you can make a cheque out to 'SM DNA Fund' & send to me. I will PM the address to you.

Margaret C

Brian M
23rd December 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Margaret

My buyer has paid me so I will send you a c/e tomorrow for £81.42 as if I pay direct to penny.knowler@ntlworld.com Ebay will have another bite out commission wise ,but if you wish me to do so pls advise .Jan's sale was absolutely superb i thought and all her letters over the last couple of months have been extremely well written ,Nicki's book is amusing and charming and reminds me a lot of my superior little girl Daisy ,it is almost finished and i have taken good care of it so shortly I will post it back to Nicki or if we want it kept within our friends as i noted other people were interested in it ,if so maybe they could agree a donation amount with Nicki and then I could post it direct ,rather than Ebay it and risk losing it, if Nicki could pls advise me .And Karlins cards were out of this world I thought they were absolutely superb so much so I don't like sending them out I want to keep them all and I would like to know the names of the handsome foursome:) and who is who.

Jan Bell
24th December 2008, 09:03 AM
Fantastic result Brian! Let's hope that other people are inspired to get into their lofts after Christmas to see what is lurking up there that they can sell for the cause!

I am sending a cheque to you Margaret, as I am having problems doing the PayPal transfer so this will be easier. I've rounded it up to £40 to make the accounting easier!

I would be interested in your book Brian, so put a "bid" in for £15 for when you have finished with it.

A Merry Christmas to everybody on the board.

Nicki
26th December 2008, 03:11 PM
Very well done Brian and Jan, what a fantastic result :thmbsup: :D

We really appreciate the support you are giving - and think you've done incredibly well, especially being new to E-bay.

Margaret, will get a cheque off to you now the worst of the Christmas Rush is over - together with a small donation in memory of Rupert.

Just had an e-mail from :*bay:

"Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings will be just 5p* within eligible categories. Now's the perfect time to get your listings ready and you'll get greater value when you sell to spend on 27th and 28th December."

So now's the time to sort out your unwanted Christmas presents and anything else you have cluttering up the house LOL

I have a wee blue jumper that I bought for Rupert but he didn't wear, I was going to list it on E-bay but there are 14 pages of jumpers so it's not likely to sell :( Think I will put it on here in Shopaholics instead.

Jan Bell
3rd January 2009, 01:51 PM
Graham and I have a few more items to put on e-bay - three unabridged audio books:

A Room With a View (cassetts) E M Forster read by Joanna David
The Nine Tailors (cassetts) Dorothy L Sayers read by Ian Carmichael
Hidden Lives (CDs, non fiction) Margaret Forster read by Susan Jamieson

:*bay:I will get them on e-bay tomorrow and post the listing numbers here. Will probably have a few more shortly as well.

Nicki
3rd January 2009, 03:08 PM
Oh well done Jan, are you having a clear out?

Thanks for doing this :thmbsup:

Jan Bell
4th January 2009, 11:08 AM
are you having a clear out?

Yes! A win-win situation - money for Cavaliers and more space at home!

:*bay:Audio books now listed as follows:

Nine Tailors 330298542011
Room With a View 330298542554
Hidden Lives 330298543099

Graham has just told me that we also have a 12 volt freeview digibox which we can auction (used on boats/caravans etc) but that will have to wait until next week.

Cathy Moon
4th January 2009, 06:02 PM
I've looked through our bookshelves and cupboards to come up with these items; all proceeds will go to this fundraiser:

VHS VCR Tape - Nell starring Jodie Foster and Liam Neeson

3 brand new children's crafts books (ages 8 and up):
Stuff for Your Space (decorating)
Simply Sewing (cute clothing and accessories projects)
Horse Crafts (projects for the girls who love horses and ponies)

A like-new cookbook - Chicken - Cooking with Style

2 like-new paperback novels (both are Oprah's book club selections):
The Pilot's Wife
Jewel

2 audio cassette set - Lilith Fair - A Celebration of Women in Music (1998 )

1 audio cassette - Anne - original music score from the Sullivan Films Emmy Award winning TV Presentation of "Anne of Green Gables"

I am going to take these items to the post office to weigh them (and pick up free packaging)

I also have an out of print cavalier book that should fetch a decent price:
Barbara Garnett-Smith's first book - The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in North America (1998 ) in excellent condition. This is a collectors item, and the price has fluctuated over the past few years - I'll need to research a starting price for it.

Margaret C
5th January 2009, 10:05 PM
Jan & Cathy,

Thank you so much.

The Pilots wife was a really good read and so was Hidden Lives, I would recommend them both.

I have got another cavalier book & someone has donated a hand made cardigan covered with cavalier heads. I need to get them photographed & then I will put them on.

Anyone else out there with anything to donate?
If you have something that is small & fairly light you could post it to me, if you are nervous of tackling eBay, & I will put it up.
Otherwise, I'm sure that if wanted, one of us ( I nominate Nicki as 'The Expert' ) could do a step by step post on how to use the quick & simple method of Ebay listing.
A new skill for the New Year

Margaret C

*Pauline*
5th January 2009, 10:42 PM
May I ask a question? Is the only way to withdraw funds from paypal, after someone has paid you, by adding a bank account to your paypal? When I spend on ebay, paypal takes money through my credit card. After allocating a bank account, I think anything I spend will come from that account. Is that right?

Margaret C
5th January 2009, 10:55 PM
May I ask a question? Is the only way to withdraw funds from paypal, after someone has paid you, by adding a bank account to your paypal? When I spend on ebay, paypal takes money through my credit card. After allocating a bank account, I think anything I spend will come from that account. Is that right?

Hello *Pauline*
I'm not an expert, but I think that is correct. It is certainly how I do it.
If you have an item & it would help, you could send me a photo & I can take details over the phone & list it for you. You would need to pack & post.

Margaret C

*Pauline*
5th January 2009, 11:40 PM
That's a great idea. Thank you Margaret.

You know what my nerves are like, well, last time I tried to allocate a bank account it got very complicated. Paypal paid two amounts into my account over a short period and I was to tell them what those amounts were before it could all be set up. I got stressed, it felt too complicated. I didn't have time to keep getting mini statements to see what these amounts were. I thought perhaps the security had to be so high as things go wrong and I pulled out. They didn't want the money back though I asked them to bill me. It was under £2. I sound so paranoid :lpy:

Later...

OK, I set up my bank account with paypal :rah: and they didn't ask me to do that complicated set up. I assume I've done it correctly!

brotymo
6th January 2009, 05:50 AM
For 9 years, I have more or less made my living selling on ebay. In it's heyday, I was pulling in a quite comfortable living. Things have changed in the last couple of years and I have gone back to school to prevent being left totally destitute if it all goes sour. More and more people rely on Craigslist to sell their own stuff, and since ebay simplified their selling and image posting, more and more people just do their own selling. I used to find all sorts of stuff at estate sales and such. Now, if I inquire about something for sale in the paper (to possibly buy and resell on ebay) overwhelmingly, the individual will quote what their item is "selling for on ebay" as a barometer for gauging what it is worth. Ebay's fees and Paypals fees have made it neccessary to get more and more profit margin out of things to make them worth the sale.

Anyway, as far as Paypal goes, if you add a bank account, you can still choose "change funding source" when you are paying for an item and pay by whatever method you want...credit card or bank account. You just have to double check that they are using the proper account. I have accidentally overdrawn a bank account by not carefully checking the funding source I had selected when paying one time.

Pauline, the two small deposits that you verify are really not a big deal. You can wait a week and check to see what they are, then log into paypal and enter them. Then they know you are the person who has access to that bank account and it is safe to take payments from it. Otherwise, anyone with your account and routing number could set up a paypal and pay for their stuff using your account. :eek: This way, it would be highly unlikely they'd get away with it...unless they had access to your account. If you have online banking you should be able to check those mini-deposits by going online.

*Pauline*
6th January 2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks brotymo, I set it up, just have to wait for the payments. I'm such a worrier.

Nicki
6th January 2009, 04:29 PM
Otherwise, I'm sure that if wanted, one of us ( I nominate Nicki as 'The Expert' ) could do a step by step post on how to use the quick & simple method of Ebay listing.

It looks like I've been "volunteered" LOL

OK will get something written in the next few days :D

Nicki
6th January 2009, 04:41 PM
I've just put two cross stitch books in the shop-a-holics section which have been kindly donated...

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=303069#post303069

Cathy Moon
10th January 2009, 08:59 PM
I have listed the first and most expensive of my items on eBay. :rah:

It is a CKCS book for collectors - item ID: 290288424874.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290288424874

I am offering free shipping to US, UK, and Ireland- because I think there are CT members who are collectors and would like to own it; I put that in the description. I don't know how to change my shipping information in the listing to indicate that. Can anyone help explain how to change it?

There are currently 8 used copies of this book selling on Amazon.com and one on eBay. Many of them are slightly damaged and/or have a gift inscription on the inside cover, and all are priced higher than the copy I'm selling, which is in mint condition. I hope the price doesn't scare you off - it's actually a good deal right now.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290288424874)

Margaret C
10th January 2009, 09:23 PM
Cathy,

Many many thanks.

Margaret C

Margaret C
11th January 2009, 11:36 PM
I managed to get round to putting a few more things on eBay :)

Cavalier K C Spaniel Year Book 1976
Item number: 290288713491

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Design Cardigan
Item number: 290288710648

Five Southern Club Cavalier Spaniel Magazines 1982-86
Item number: 290288717083http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Lilian Harry, The Bells of Burracombe, Audio Book 5 CDs
Item number: 290288719660http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Josephine Cox, The Beachcomber, Audio Book, 3 CDs
Item number: 290288721596http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Margaret C

Nicki
12th January 2009, 10:57 AM
Well done Margaret - the cardigan is just gorgeous!!

Cathy Moon
14th January 2009, 04:31 AM
Today a bid came in for my cavalier book! :jump: This is exciting!

Jan Bell
14th January 2009, 09:17 AM
Today a bid came in for my cavalier book! :jump: This is exciting!

Well done Cathy! It will be interesting to see what your book goes for.

I have to say I get a bit of a kick getting money for things I would have put in the jumble. Probably would never have bothered before, but I like doing it for a good reason. I have bids for all my items so will check in tonight to see what the final total is.

Still have to put the digibox on but haven't had time to sort out a picture yet.:snap:Must do it at the weekend.

Nicki
14th January 2009, 09:25 AM
The book's doing really well Cathy - so pelased. It's a wonderful item.

I've been outbid on the cardigan :( will keep watching it though!!

Jan Bell
16th January 2009, 09:05 AM
:) £26 winging it's way over to your Margaret - I will try to PayPal.

£2.99 for Room With a View (thank you Margaret!)
£4.70 for Hidden Lives
£17.99 for The Nine Tailors

Graham was very pleased about The Nine Tailors because that was his contribution.:thmbsup:

Cathy Moon
16th January 2009, 12:33 PM
That's wonderful Jan! :jump:

Margaret C
17th January 2009, 10:53 PM
:) £26 winging it's way over to your Margaret - I will try to PayPal.

£2.99 for Room With a View (thank you Margaret!)
£4.70 for Hidden Lives
£17.99 for The Nine Tailors

Graham was very pleased about The Nine Tailors because that was his contribution.:thmbsup:

Thank you Jan, and special thanks to Graham,

I have added up the last months money (15/12/08 to 16/1/09, to include Jan's PayPal payment )
Total £251. 60 :rah:

With the previous month's money we have collected £771.82.

I have five items on eBay at the moment, see my earlier post.
Does anybody else feeling like clearing out some unwanted items?

Margaret C

Jan Bell
19th January 2009, 09:56 AM
Finally got round to putting the Roadstar 12V Freeview Box on:

:*bay:item number 330301855972.

Margaret C
22nd January 2009, 06:39 PM
Finally got round to putting the Roadstar 12V Freeview Box on:

:*bay:item number 330301855972.

There has already been two bids on the Freeview Box. Well done Jan :thmbsup:

My five items have made £84.56 :rah:

The Cardigan went for £21 and the 1976 year book went for £54.50. Thank you to the List Members who put in bids. I really do appreciate your help in raising this money.

I have more items to go on, I have some really generous friends that donate cavalier bits & pieces and I also have some items that belonged to my Mother.

I also have my eye on the cupboard full of children's toys, never really used, that were bought for my grandson to use when he comes for his weekly sleepover.
The only toy he ever wanted to use is my computer, and he has now well & truly outgrown what we have stockpiled in the spare room.

Watch this space :)

Margaret C

Cathy Moon
23rd January 2009, 01:57 AM
I sold my cavalier book today and shipped it to UK. :thmbsup: This was my first attempt at selling on eBay, and I did learn a lot from my many little mistakes :o, and I enjoyed doing it. Wow, eBay customer service folks are sooo nice, polite, and helpful!!!! :D

I wanted to keep it simple and only sell the one item my first time around. This coming weekend I'll list my remaining items that I mentioned earlier in this thread and hopefully sell them by the following weekend.

I came across something really cute and fun I will sell - The Doggy Bone Cook Book (Veterinarian Approved) - it has dog biscuit recipes for all occasions and holidays, and includes a dog bone shaped cookie cutter. The pages are cardboard like in books for toddlers, so it will hold up well in the kitchen - this would be a fun activity for children to do for all the holidays and birthdays! :rah:

Karlin
23rd January 2009, 12:12 PM
test! (ignore this post, just trying to solve some posting problems...)

Jan Bell
29th January 2009, 04:53 PM
:*bay:Freeview box sold for £30 - money sent to Penny Knowler via PayPal today.

Will sort out some more things to auction at the weekend.

merlinsmum
3rd February 2009, 07:51 PM
Available on ebay from me:
Item 300291324216 - cavalier king charles spaniel by Juliette Cunliffe
Item 300291325312 - adjustable dog feeder (not suitable for cavvies I don't think)

Cathy Moon
6th February 2009, 11:49 PM
Ok, I'm ready to make my donation. How do I send a PayPal donation?

Margaret C
7th February 2009, 12:33 AM
Ok, I'm ready to make my donation. How do I send a PayPal donation?

Cathy, many, many, thanks for this, and also to Merlinsmum for the things she has put on eBay.

Nicki added instructions on how to put money into the SM DNA Fund PayPal account at the bottom of post number 1.

I was sent a £200 cheque from a small cavalier group last weekend, :) someone had been given donations instead of presents for what must have been a special birthday.
I don't know if any of the group come on to this talkboard, but if they do, I would like them to know how much it was appreciated.

I have more cavalier items I have been given but I made a big mistake & let my husband go away for the weekend without getting him to take the eBay photos first.

I'll let you all know when I put them on.

Margaret C

Cathy Moon
7th February 2009, 12:50 AM
Ok, thank you; after looking a little closer, I see that all I have to do is sign in to PayPal, then click the 'Send Money' tab and put in Penny Knowler's address. Too easy! I will PM you the amount, Margaret, as soon as I calculate and send it. One of our members in UK bought the book, so the free shipping will need to be subtracted.

I have been overwhelmed with my job and medical stuff lately, but I have promised myself to list all my other things on eBay this weekend! :thmbsup:

Cathy Moon
7th February 2009, 12:24 PM
PayPal to Penny - done! PM to Margaret - done!
:D Off to photograph and list my other items...

merlinsmum
13th February 2009, 07:34 PM
Me too!

Paypal to Penny done :) PM to Margaret C done :)

Now to dig out some more stuff...

Margaret C
13th February 2009, 10:36 PM
Me too!

Paypal to Penny done :) PM to Margaret C done :)

Now to dig out some more stuff...

Thank you so much. :)

I must tell you all, and all those visitors that come to read these threads, that I have found it a real eye-opener being on this talkboard.
You are such a nice bunch of people, to each other & to your dogs.

I have collected money for cavalier health projects for about nine years now and in all that time I have found, with just a very few heart warming exceptions, that it is the cavalier pet owners that gives the most in time and money.

So thank you again to merlinsmum and to Cathy Moon and everyone else here. I really appreciate what you do.

Margaret C

harleyfarley
14th February 2009, 11:14 AM
Has anyone got any yoga dvds, they dont want, ill happily give the money to this cause, thanks di

Jan Bell
14th February 2009, 11:16 AM
Couple of new items on E-bay - unabridged Cover to Cover audio cassettes by Jane Austen:

Emma, 10 cassettes listing 330307871829
Sense and Sensibility, 8 cassettes listing 330307872285

:*bay:

Margaret C
14th February 2009, 12:42 PM
Couple of new items on E-bay - unabridged Cover to Cover audio cassettes by Jane Austen:

Emma, 10 cassettes listing 330307871829
Sense and Sensibility, 8 cassettes listing 330307872285

:*bay:

Jan,

I think we must have the same taste in reading matter. I love Jane Austen.

Margaret C

Jan Bell
14th February 2009, 02:03 PM
I think we must have the same taste in reading matter. I love Jane Austen.

I have built up a collection of my favourite classic audio books over some time now, but am gradually replacing the cassettes with downloadable versions from audible that I can use on my Ipod.

I will put some Anthony Trollope ones on E-bay for the SM fund as well, but find it easier to do a few items at a time. It's nice to have a good cause to sell them for. :thmbsup:

Margaret C
14th February 2009, 08:24 PM
I have put some more items on eBay...:)

The Spode Blue Room Collection, 'Aesop's Fables'
Item number: 290296388527

Cheeky Cavalier K C Spaniel Novelty Plaque
Item number: 290296392359http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Cavalier K C Spaniel Decorated Drinking Glass
Item number: 290296394440http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Cavalier KC Spaniel Year Book 1975
Item number: 290296397896http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Tray with Blenheim Cavalier K C Spaniel & Puppies
Item number: 290296395886http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

Margaret C

Jan Bell
4th March 2009, 02:34 PM
Didn't get any bids for my Jane Austen's despite reducing the price :( - will try again later.

Did sell two donations from a friend that I though would be turkeys (a diet book and a set of Rosemary Conley portion pots, put on for 99p each) but went for £4+ each. Just goes to show you can never tell what will sell.

Also sold a cassette of My Uncle Silas for £3, so £11 so far. Currently have another Doroty L Sayers book donated by Graham on (item 33031138481) which has a bid of £4.99 to date with three days to go.:thmbsup:

Will wait to see what I get for this before sending money.

Margaret C
4th March 2009, 10:58 PM
I have put some more items on eBay...:)

The Spode Blue Room Collection, 'Aesop's Fables'
Item number: 290296388527

Cheeky Cavalier K C Spaniel Novelty Plaque
Item number: 290296392359http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Cavalier K C Spaniel Decorated Drinking Glass
Item number: 290296394440http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Cavalier KC Spaniel Year Book 1975
Item number: 290296397896http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Tray with Blenheim Cavalier K C Spaniel & Puppies
Item number: 290296395886http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

Margaret C

All sold except the drinking glass which turns out to be a tea light holder anyway ( I think I will try & sell it to my daughter, she is into tealights & has a tricolour cavalier )

We made £38, and with the earlier eBay items, the generous £200 donation, and the PayPal contributions from the members of this list we now have approx. £1,300 towards the SM Cavalier Collection scheme.

One of the most difficult things to come to terms with, when running this project, is that if it is to succeed someone's beloved pet must die.

The first cavalier went to Cambridge just over a week ago. He was twelve years old & was euthanised because of MVD.
He had been MRId four years ago under the lowcost breeders' scheme & found to have a syrinx.
His generous owner has actually paid all the costs of postmortem & cremation herself.

Cell tissue from this little dog has gone to four different research projects.... to the heart research at Edinburgh, for spinal cord research and a pancreatic research study at Cambridge and tissue for RNA ( don't ask, I still struggle with DNA ) to the Genome research in Canada.

I know this is a painful subject, but the researchers are so enthusiastic about the benefits of this scheme, so please, please, if you know of a SM dog that is frail or ill, just tell the owners about this scheme. They may feel able to help.

Margaret C

Jan Bell
10th March 2009, 05:43 PM
Dorothy L Sayers seem to sell well, got a bit over £8, so approx £20 for SM fund on recent sales.

Still have a few bits and pieces to try selling, so will post again when I have sorted them out.

Margaret, wonderful to hear that so much money has been raised for the scheme. A sad event for the owner of your first Cavalier, by by her generous actions progress may be made.

Nicki
10th March 2009, 06:19 PM
It's really hard that someone has to lose their beloved companion :( but good that at least their suffering and passing of their loved one is helping the researchers.

Please pass on our thanks to this very special person who kindly donated their beloved Cavalier {so sorry to hear of his loss, I know he was very special and much loved} - and also very generously donated most of the costs, that was so very kind.

I'm amazed how much money has been raised already, thanks to all who have sold items, and let's have another big push over the next few months to see if we can get over the £2000 mark :thmbsup:

Margaret C
10th March 2009, 11:32 PM
It's really hard that someone has to lose their beloved companion :( but good that at least their suffering and passing of their loved one is helping the researchers.

Please pass on our thanks to this very special person who kindly donated their beloved Cavalier {so sorry to hear of his loss, I know he was very special and much loved} - and also very generously donated most of the costs, that was so very kind.

I'm amazed how much money has been raised already, thanks to all who have sold items, and let's have another big push over the next few months to see if we can get over the £2000 mark :thmbsup:

Thank you Nicky, I will pass on your thanks.

I have just received another very generous cheque for £215. This is from someone who has raised money because her little cavalier was diagnosed with SM when very young.

So many board members here are so motivated when it comes to helping sick cavaliers, and I find it really heartwarming that loving pet owners are so generous with time & effort.

We have now raised over £1,500, enough to transport, postmortem & individually cremate the next four, perhaps five, cavaliers when they become availlable.

I still have a lot of things to put on eBay, including a B/T curled in a dog bed. It has a battery that makes it look as if it is breathing. Not sure that I like it, but I'm sure someone will.

I have just got to find the time to get them listed.

Margaret C

HollyDolly
11th March 2009, 01:16 AM
Has anyone got any yoga dvds, they dont want, ill happily give the money to this cause, thanks di

Harleyfarley are you still interested in Yoga DVDs. I have one called A Spectrum Of Yoga, produced by The British Wheel of Yoga, The Governing Body.
A quick synopsis
"Whether you are going to classes or wish to complement your practice at home this is the perfect companion to your Yoga exercises."
Uniquely, this DVD has a very simple but flexible menu. Any particular exercise can be immediately and easily accessed from the menu.

Just let me know and I will post on and monies going to SM research.

Nanette

Jan Bell
28th March 2009, 01:51 PM
:*bay:New E-Bay items:

9ct gold handbag charm 330318041712 £9.99
9ct gold eye glasses charm 330318042332 £9.99
Gaiam Pilates DVD 330318043165 £1.99

Also trying the unabridged Jane Austen cassettes for Emma and Persuasion at £4.99 each one more time, then they go in the dog jumble!

Margaret C
28th March 2009, 02:12 PM
Thank you Jan. You are a wonderful supporter of the scheme.

I have some more donated cavalier items to put on. Will do them this week.

The fund raising is going well, what is needed is more publicity, so that owners with frail or sick dogs, that have been MRI'd and found to be SM affected, know about the collection scheme.

The Cavalier Club has put details on their website, but other regional clubs & health forums have ignored the flyers, even though they know that the cell tissue collected go to reknown specialists working on four different health projects.

If there really is a desire to work for the health of these lovely dogs then I would have thought all information on research would be publicised.

Margaret C

harleyfarley
28th March 2009, 02:17 PM
Jan is brilliant with her fundraising, but getting onto publicity isnt it more advisable for vets to be contacted (as they are the first to see affected dogs) and infomation packs to be arranged for dogs undergoing mri's, that various authorities need the info, good or bad, for further reseach into the illness. di

frecklesmom
28th March 2009, 03:19 PM
Harleyfarley the suggestion about involving the Vets is really good. They know the history and often they are involved in helping the owners in their decision process.

Jan Bell
28th March 2009, 03:29 PM
Di - what a good idea.

Margaret - could we do something via the members of this board - some sort of flyer or information pack that could be distributed to vets?

I would be quite happy to do the vets in my area.

harleyfarley
28th March 2009, 06:18 PM
Harleyfarley are you still interested in Yoga DVDs. I have one called A Spectrum Of Yoga, produced by The British Wheel of Yoga, The Governing Body.
A quick synopsis
"Whether you are going to classes or wish to complement your practice at home this is the perfect companion to your Yoga exercises."
Uniquely, this DVD has a very simple but flexible menu. Any particular exercise can be immediately and easily accessed from the menu.

Just let me know and I will post on and monies going to SM research.

Nanette

Just seen this, you should of pm'ed me, yes please if you still have it, di

harleyfarley
28th March 2009, 06:23 PM
Di - what a good idea.

Margaret - could we do something via the members of this board - some sort of flyer or information pack that could be distributed to vets?

Oh and yes id be happy to help, what made me think was someone posted that their vet had never seen a case of sm, so how many vets when presented with an itchy cavalier know what to look for. Im not even sure mine does, im seeing him Wed so i will ask him, theres lots and lots of practices and some will be more aware than others.

harleyfarley
28th March 2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry Jan :flwr:for messing up your post maybe someone could move the offending (mostly mine) posts and make a new thread. di

Margaret C
30th March 2009, 12:09 AM
Di - what a good idea.

Sorry to be slow answering this, but I have needed to think things through.

I am a little worried about how some vets may approach this. Basically we are asking for owners to donate their pets for postmortem when they die ( they do get the ashes returned )
The last thing I would want is for this suggestion to be put to someone who has just had bad news about their dog.

We do need publicity to reach those who scanned their dogs years ago. Our first donated dog was MRI'd & his SM was succesfully managed for some time. It was MVD that killed him.

Perhaps a flyer that could go on a vet's notice board?

I appreciate the offers & I will get back to you ( and put up my eBay items) in the next few days.

Margaret C

*Pauline*
30th March 2009, 12:40 AM
I was wondering if maybe signing up with donor cards to the postmortem SM research scheme would be a good idea? Obviously it won't work like human donor cards. It would give Cavalier owners an opportunity to think about this and make a decision before the event. Having the card in their purse may help them to reaffirm this decision each time they see it and perhaps some would make that call to you themselves when their pets die. Just an idea.

Margaret C
30th March 2009, 11:27 PM
I was wondering if maybe signing up with donor cards to the postmortem SM research scheme would be a good idea? Obviously it won't work like human donor cards. It would give Cavalier owners an opportunity to think about this and make a decision before the event. Having the card in their purse may help them to reaffirm this decision each time they see it and perhaps some would make that call to you themselves when their pets die. Just an idea.

Thank you Pauline, a really good idea.

They could perhaps be in neurologists waiting areas, at dog shows etc. I will have to work on that. I do know a good printer that could do cards at a very reasonable cost.
I think that I should explore the possibility of getting something put in Dogs Today and other pet orientated publications.

With the exception of the Cavalier Club, the show breeder/exhibitor forums and websites will not help by putting up the information. I may have to think about an advert in Dog World, although I would prefer not to pay out fund money unless absolutely necessary.

This collection scheme helps four really important research studies, Cardiologist Brendan Corcoran even asked if he could quote this project as his source of research tissue when applying for a KC Charitable Trust grant, so it is in the interest of all cavalier owners to help publicise it.

Margaret C

Margaret C
3rd April 2009, 07:12 PM
Done at last:rah:

Cavalier KC Spaniel Club Year Book 1979 Item number: 290307604632
Cavalier KC Spaniel Blenheim Model Item number: 290307608271
Cavalier KC Spaniel, Danbury Mint Plate Item number: 290307612716
Cavalier KC Spaniel, Harmoni China Biscuit Container Item number: 290307618140
Jigsaw with Cavaliers, Dalmations, and other puppies Item number: 290307622426
Cavalier KC Spaniel Club Year Book 1985 Item number: 290307602790

More to come over the weekend, but I will have to fight my Grandson for time on the computer

Margaret C

harleyfarley
4th April 2009, 06:02 PM
Im bidding on several bits margaret, im fishyfeetpleco, im not worried about winning im just trying to raise some money the same as you, di

Margaret C
5th April 2009, 12:48 AM
Im bidding on several bits margaret, im fishyfeetpleco, im not worried about winning im just trying to raise some money the same as you, di

Thank you Di,

Three more items are now on eBay.

The Catherine Cookson Collection with one DVD missing Item number: 290307918624
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Slate Plaque Item number: 290307921066http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy by Leonardo Item number: 290307922295http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Margaret C

Margaret C
8th April 2009, 07:36 PM
Some more items, have a look. It is for a good cause.:)

Southern Cavalier Amice Pitt Commemorative Book 1987 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290308826436)- 290308826436

Soft Yomiko Toy, Tricolour Cavalier KC Spaniel (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290308832229)- 290308832229

Hammersley Bird of Paradise Trinket Dish (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290308843621)- 290308843621

Sherratt & Simpson, Blenhem Cavalier KC Spaniel Head
Item number: 290308838503

Southern Cavalier KC Spaniel Club 'Cavalcade' mid 1980s
Item number: 290308820206

Eastern Counties Cavalier KC Spaniel, 'Chat' 1977-1981
Item number: 290308813678

Margaret C

harleyfarley
9th April 2009, 09:57 AM
im still bidding margaret, someone wants that plate, di

Ciren
9th April 2009, 10:59 AM
can i just ask, what exactly does the money raised go to? i think its fab doing anything the help the dogs i am just curious.

Margaret C
9th April 2009, 01:15 PM
can i just ask, what exactly does the money raised go to? i think its fab doing anything the help the dogs i am just curious.

The money is to pay for a collection scheme when cavaliers with MRI confirmed SM die.

We have taken one donated cavalier to Cambridge. Cell tissue taken at the post-mortem actually went to four different projects, including the Genome research in Canada and MVD studies in Edinburgh.

There is another cavalier with terminal cancer registered with us.

Thanks to the help from members here, fundraising is going quite well and we have enough to pay the collection expenses of five more dogs. The big problem is trying to get the message to owners of SM affected dogs that are now old, or ill, and could be possible candidates for the scheme.

Below is the 'flyer' that I wrote when the scheme started.....

This is a plea to all owners with a cavalier that has Syringomyelia confirmed by an MRI scan

However sad the thought makes us, all our dogs will die at some time. There will be some owners who having seen their pets suffer from syringomyelia, would like to know that their loss could help unravel some of the mysteries of this painful condition

Professor Nick Jeffery (Cambridge University), Dr Clare Rusbridge (Stone Lion Veterinary Centre), & other researchers need owners to donate cell tissue, the basic material needed in the study of cavalier health problems, when their Syringomyelia affected cavaliers die.
The death can be from any cause but, as the primary aim of this scheme is to provide spinal cord tissue for SM research, the cavalier must have a positive diagnosis of SM.

Pancreatic and heart valve tissue will also be collected for use in separate studies

The Collection Scheme will pay for ten cavaliers bodies to be donated. It will provide a grant to help the owner transport their recently deceased pet to the nearest veterinary centre with a pathology department.
The cost of the post mortem, the fee for individual cremation and return of the ashes, and the cost of sending the donated tissue to the Universities will also be paid by the scheme

The deceased cavalier should be at least three months old and the cause of death can be for any reason, it does not have to be related to the syringomyelia diagnosis

All Cavalier owners are different, some will find themselves uncomfortable at the thought of donating their pet’s body for post mortem, preferring to bury them in a favourite spot in the garden
There are other owners, however, who would feel positive about giving their dog for post mortem examination, as long as they know they will have their pet’s ashes back and they can decide on their last resting place

The death of a much loved cavalier is a very emotional occasion and decisions made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted. Participation in this scheme is something that should be thought through carefully before the loss of the pet occurs

Any cavalier owner wanting more details are invited to contact-
Margaret Carter
Email: mareve-ckcs@ntlworld.com (mareve-ckcs@ntlworld.com)

Margaret C

Ciren
9th April 2009, 01:56 PM
in that case

i will donate the sales (if they sell) from

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220388490352
Smiley face necklace earrings and bracelet set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220390041205
Red rose satin earrings.

Margaret C
9th April 2009, 04:56 PM
Thank you Amy

Anybody else creative, clever, or just sorting out the attic?

Margaret C

Margaret C
9th April 2009, 11:33 PM
And another three......:)

Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Model
Item number: 290309158565
Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Model
Item number: 290309155900
Hammersley Bird of Paradise Lidded Vase or Pot
Item number: 290309152134

Margaret C

Margaret C
13th April 2009, 03:48 PM
Bidding for some of the items close today. I recognise some familiar identities. Thank you my friends, but please don't feel obliged to bid.

I added a few more things during our enforced rest from Cavalier Talk. I'm putting some stuff from my Mother's house, her grumpy old William has SM, so she would have considered it a good cause.

Margaret C

Brian M
13th April 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Margaret

Just a quick comment ,Rosie is fine no trouble at all re the patella ,It makes me mad now thinking of the vet who wanted to operate and of course (thankfully) as I have now officlally transferred over to Cranmoor Vets glad to say thay are all wonderfully healthy .Di where did you dream up that Ebay name "fishyfeetpleco" I was wondering if its got a second meaning for you .Thanks again Margaret ref our telecon got my eye on a couple of things.

Warmest Wishes
Brian608:)

harleyfarley
13th April 2009, 08:25 PM
i breed tropical fish, and am known as fishyfeet in another life brian. Margaret ive bidded on quite a few items, you might want to wait and post them altogether (the ones i win) the biscuit barrel i have no use for so please put it in a boot sale or something, i will of course pay for it. di

Ciren
14th April 2009, 12:13 AM
sorry guys, no one wanted my funky jewellery set. :(

ilsamom
15th April 2009, 10:47 PM
Hi all,
I collect vintage knit and crochet patterns if anybody has any of those to sell.

Jen and Ilsa

Margaret C
28th April 2009, 12:34 AM
i breed tropical fish, and am known as fishyfeet in another life brian. Margaret ive bidded on quite a few items, you might want to wait and post them altogether (the ones i win) the biscuit barrel i have no use for so please put it in a boot sale or something, i will of course pay for it. di

I hope everyone got their things Ok.

Thank you for those that donated some items back, a few things went as raffle prizes to Kate's Cavalier Fun Day.

The latest items raised 88.27 when eBay fees & postage are taken off. Jan sent money direct for things she had sold. The big news is that we had two wonderful donations over the last month or so, one for 215 and the other, given to me at the Fun Day, was for 300. Thank you so much to two generous cavalier owners.

The total raised since we started in November is just over 1,900

I cannot say how much I appreciate the wonderful support for the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. I have always said that it is the pet owners that are prepared to put their hands in their pockets to help our cavaliers, and my goodness, you are certainly proving I am right.

Please don't forget that we do need owners of cavaliers that have been diagosed with SM to know about the scheme, especially if their pet is getting old or frail.

Allowing a postmortem be done when your cavalier dies is not something that everyone would be able to do, but for those that choose to cremate their pets, it could be a positive action that would help other cavaliers in the future.

I still have more things to put on eBay ( friends keep donating things ) but this week I need to concentrate on getting together my evidence for the Bateson Review on Dog Breeding, and actually filling in the not very user friendly forms.
This thread will be back............

Margaret C

Jan Bell
7th May 2009, 02:18 PM
Hello, I have been otherwise engaged for a while, but have sold a few more bits and pieces on E-bay. Only 22 this time, but every little helps.

I am on holiday for a couple of weeks, but have still got a few more bits and pieces to sell so will post here when they are on.

Best wishes,

Margaret C
15th June 2009, 01:42 PM
I thought it was time that I did a bit more fund raising and gave an update on the SM Cavalier Collection scheme

I'm pleased to say that we now have the scheme shown on Dr Clare Rusbridge's homepage.
The beautiful dog in the photo is my Ch. Mareve Indiana ( Monty ) who was postmortemed by Clare when he died in 2004.
http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

For those that are interested, I have posted a little about the nitty gritty details of the scheme. For those that are very sensitive, you may just want to look at the fund raising information.......

We had our second little dog volunteered for postmortem a few weeks ago. She was eleven years old & had been MRI scanned in 2005. Her SM was well controlled with medication and she actually died of cancer.

This little cavalier died on a Friday in the late afternoon. There were wonderful volunteers ready to help transport the little body to Cambridge, but unfortunately there were no pathologists available to do the postmortem on the Saturday ( the PM has to be done within 24 hours, the body cannot be frozen )We had to call the collection off.

The owner was disappointed as she had been very keen that her little girl's death should help with research into this horrible condition.
Fortunately late that evening Dr Rusbridge offered to do the PM on the Saturday afternoon.
I cannot say how much I appreciated the volunteer who answered my last minute call at 10 pm on Friday, & dropped everything to deliver her to Wimbledon the next day.
I then contacted the duty vet to be told that the little body had been in the vet's freezer for a few hours. She was removed and fortunately was not so frozen as to be unsuitable for PM.

Her ashes are now safely back with her owner.

The fundraising has been doing quite well, Jan & Brian as always are wonderful, and I sold 110 worth of old Cavalier Club Year Books and was given an individual donation of 100 from a very generous breeder.

I have now put some more items on eBay. Please take a look.............

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324262521.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324262521&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Tricolour Cushion (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324262521&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Item Id:290324262521

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324276748.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324276748&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Small Picture of Two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324276748&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Item Id:290324276748

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324282688.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324282688&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Top Dog by C M McMuck, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324282688&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Item Id:290324282688

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324321817.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324321817&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Cavalier K (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324321817&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)ing Charles Spaniel Syringomyelia Seminar DVD Item Id:290324321817

Margaret C
15th June 2009, 01:46 PM
More items ............

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324326783.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324326783&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Dog bed/mat with Cavalier Spaniel, Dalmation, GSD, etc (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324326783&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290324326783

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324329736.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324329736&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Dog bed/mat with Cavalier, Yorkie, Terrier, Beagle. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324329736&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290324329736

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/s.gif
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324331698.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324331698&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Border Fine Arts Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Model (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324331698&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290324331698

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290324333602.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324333602&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123) Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club Year Book 1983 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290324333602&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290324333602

Margaret C
19th July 2009, 11:52 PM
A few more fundraising items.

I managed to obtain two of the really attractive fleece blankets, gave one to a friend, & now cannot find any more
Roger managed to get a tendril from the vine hanging across the photograph, but it still looks okay

Please keep the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme in mind if you know of any frail SM diagnosed cavaliers.
It is an important research project....see http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290332796231.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332796231&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppies Fleece Blanket (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332796231&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290332796231

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290332797672.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332797672&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Single Duvet Set (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332797672&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290332797672

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/s.gifhttp://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290332800020.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332800020&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)Sherratt & Simpson Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Head (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332800020&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290332800020

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/290332801482.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332801482&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club Year Book 1980 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290332801482&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123)
Item Id:290332801482

*Pauline*
20th July 2009, 12:33 AM
Oh those are nice, I'm bidding on the fleece. :*bay:

Sandrac
20th July 2009, 12:16 PM
I got one of the dog beds that Margaret was auctioning a little while ago and Cinders has claimed it as her own.:roll:

Jan Bell
9th August 2009, 02:41 PM
:wggle: A few new items for sale on E-Bay:

Pink Flip-Flop Charm item no 330351006571

3 DVD Beginners Yoga set item no 330351004809

Audio Cassettes Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers item no 330351007589

Jan Bell
9th August 2009, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I don't do much posting due to lack of time and other reasons, but just wanted to let you know about a very generous new friend I have made via selling audio books on E-Bay.

A gentleman called Philip from Nottingham bought two of my unabridged audio books a while back, and we had a nice friendly exhange of e-mails about them

Subsequently when I had more of the same to sell I contacted him directly and asked if he would like to buy them before I put them on E-Bay, which he did. I told him in general e-mail conversation why I was selling stuff on E-Bay and when I recieved his payment (already sent to Penny Knowler) he had generously round it up to add a bit more.

The same thing happened on the next sale I made him, but there was a bit of a problem with the delivery as the Post Office made him collect it, saying that it wasn't stamped and therefore I hadn't paid the 7 plus postage (the postage came to more than I was getting for the sale - cassettes of this quanity are expensive to post!).

Philip said he was just pleased that they had turned up and not to worry, but I sent him the postage receipt anyway so he could claim it back. He then wrote to me and said he wasn't worried about the money, but would put in a claim and send me the money for the Cavalier fund!

This week I recieved a cheque from Philip for 20 as a donation for the Cavalier Collection Scheme (I told him all about it) which I was quite overwhelmed by.

I feel I am lucky to have "met" such a nice person and raised funds for something I care about.

I have sent the 20 by Pal-Pal to the SM Fund today.

Best wishes,

Brian M
9th August 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Jan

Are you back for a bit longer we have all missed your posts.:)

harleyfarley
9th August 2009, 05:00 PM
and your ebay auctions, di

Jan Bell
10th August 2009, 05:47 PM
Hello Brian and Di,

Regret no longer able to sneak onto the board during work hours, so posting time is rather limited. I do keep an eye on you though....

Running low on things to sell on E-Bay (nice clear house though) but hoping for more donations from friends.

Best wishes,