PDA

View Full Version : Tough one in PA

frecklesmom
10th December 2008, 05:38 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/frecklesmom/Reggie.jpg
I’m a senior guy looking for a good home. I’m an 8 yr. old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I’m already neutered and ready to go home today. My past owner had me debarked so I’m a quiet guy who doesn’t make a peep. The vet here took a look at me and I do have some health problems. I have a 4 out of 5 heart murmur, but don’t worry I still have plenty of heart to love you. I also have “dry eye”, which is common with my breed. The vet put me on artificial tears 3-4 times a day, and eye ointment 2 times a day, these meds will be going home with me. I don’t have many teeth, but I eat just fine. I’m a really sweet guy looking for a family who could love me as much as I would love them. What better dog could you give a second chance to this holiday season.

Anyone know of rescue contacts in area-closest state border appears to be New Jersey

Bucks County SPCA (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA86.html)
Lahaska, PA
(215) 794-7425

WoodHaven
10th December 2008, 05:44 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/frecklesmom/Reggie.jpg
I’m a senior guy looking for a good home. I’m an 8 yr. old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I’m already neutered and ready to go home today. My past owner had me debarked so I’m a quiet guy who doesn’t make a peep. The vet here took a look at me and I do have some health problems. I have a 4 out of 5 heart murmur, but don’t worry I still have plenty of heart to love you. I also have “dry eye”, which is common with my breed. The vet put me on artificial tears 3-4 times a day, and eye ointment 2 times a day, these meds will be going home with me. I don’t have many teeth, but I eat just fine. I’m a really sweet guy looking for a family who could love me as much as I would love them. What better dog could you give a second chance to this holiday season.

Anyone know of rescue contacts in area-closest state border appears to be New Jersey

Bucks County SPCA (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA86.html)
Lahaska, PA
(215) 794-7425

Here is the national rescue person-
Denise Hallsted
(Northeast Rescue Co-Chair)
(302) 378-5453
deniseh50@verizon.net
States covered: DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA

WoodHaven
10th December 2008, 11:09 PM
We have someone who is going to check out this gent tomorrow.

frecklesmom
10th December 2008, 11:32 PM
Email received:

Thanks for letting me know about this boy. I have a gal who is willing to foster him. We will call the shelter tomorrow and see if they are willing to surrender him to rescue.
Best,
Denise Hallsted

WoodHaven
10th December 2008, 11:39 PM
Yep, Denise is a peach.

HollyDolly
10th December 2008, 11:52 PM
De Barked OH MY GOODNESS:bang: I cannot comprehend such an act of cruelty.

WoodHaven
11th December 2008, 01:59 AM
We were told that the dog in question has been homed. Lucky boy!

WoodHaven
11th December 2008, 02:24 AM
De Barked OH MY GOODNESS:bang: I cannot comprehend such an act of cruelty.

I've seen and heard of a number of breeders that have taken their dogs to the vet to be debarked. If it is either get rid of the dog or get the surgery... I would probably try to rehome the dog in a different environment, but if that wasn't possible- the surgery is more humane than euthanasia.

brotymo
12th December 2008, 02:59 AM
I read somewhere that some puppy millers debark their dogs by ramming a metal rod down their throat to destroy their vocal chords. :mad: I get so angry and sad just thinking about it.

Dublin
12th December 2008, 09:21 AM
OMG:eek: Thats awfull! I watched a doccumentry (years ago) about a GSD breeder in the states who debarked all of her dogs & she said that something like 10% of them die from sufforcation because of the scar tissue in the throat after the operation but she still saw no problem with it.

The same doccumentry had a great dane breeder who had her dogs ears altered so they stood up & showed the operation (if you can call it that) & how the dog had to wear a frame on his head for a couple of months (I think) to train the muscles to make the ears stand up & the poor dog was running around banging into things & falling over - was so sad to watch.

ice-cavi
12th December 2008, 05:40 PM
Personally I think it´s disgusting to debark :mad:.....
I´m very happy that such surgeries are prohibited in Iceland,as well as ducking ears and tales.

WoodHaven
12th December 2008, 05:57 PM
Docking can be important. If you've ever seen a broken tail, blood spattered all over- or a dew claw ripped off, you 'might' change your mind.

ice-cavi
12th December 2008, 10:10 PM
Docking can be important. If you've ever seen a broken tail, blood spattered all over- or a dew claw ripped off, you 'might' change your mind.

Well in such cases it´s not a cosmetic procedure and therefore a completely different thing,in my opinion....

WoodHaven
12th December 2008, 10:17 PM
OH, I agree-- I came from hunting breeds and found a few incidences where people tried to be "humane" and they regretted it due to accidents.

ourfurbabies5
13th December 2008, 05:37 AM
The metal rod made me sick to my stomach. How...Why...would anyone do that....... Maybe someone should do that to them!

chloe92us
14th December 2008, 01:23 AM
When I was interviewing breeders trying to adopt a retired breeding dog, I talked to a woman who is (still) listed on the CKCS Club site who had this particular bitch debarked. She acted like this was no big deal! Needless to say, I hung up the phone as quickly as I could!

WoodHaven
14th December 2008, 01:27 AM
When I was interviewing breeders trying to adopt a retired breeding dog, I talked to a woman who is (still) listed on the CKCS Club site who had this particular bitch debarked. She acted like this was no big deal! Needless to say, I hung up the phone as quickly as I could!

I highly doubt the CKCSC breeder used a pipe to debark her dog. Vets will perform this legal procedure in the USA. Have you ever lived with a pack of dogs???