• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do I slow her down....?

shippers

Since Lois arrived Sally has started eating her dinner that fast that she starts making this weird noise which I think might be 'reverse sneezing'. It's quite frightening when she does it because it sounds like she's choking but it stops after a few seconds. I think i need to slow her down when she is eating. I remember a while ago I saw some bowls that help them to eat slower. Does anyone know where I can buy one in the UK? I have also tried feeding her from a treat ball but would like a bowl.

I think some cavvies race their food down when they are eating in another dogs company.

Could you feed Sally on her own out of the puppy's sight? Feeding time is such an important part of a dog's life and it's nice if it can be stress free. It's a good idea for a very young puppy to get their kibble from treat balls or kongs so the younger one can be doing that and Sally could have a Kong too, if she wants one, taking her calorie intake into account when she's had her usual feed.

I'm not sure where you get the bowl you're thinking of, but a search on google might help.

My golden oldie Dan wanted a Kong when he saw the puppy's Kong and whatever keeps them happy .........

Last edited:
I used the slowdown eating bowls and they did work. After about a month, I noticed Annie had lost pigment on her nose in a small spot but in a day there were 2 more small spots of white. Freckles nose went from black to grey. :eek: I changed to stainless bowls again and discolorations slowly went away. Unless you can find one in stainless and you know your Cav won't be susceptible to plastic, I'd pass. There are good substitutes-putting food spread out on a cookie sheet or reasonable facsimile and, one I like, using a muffin tin and putting a bit of food in each space. Some use a large rock in the center of their present bowl-I tried that with Shane, Husky/Mal mix, and afterward I couldn't find the rock for a bit (she was carrying it around in her mouth :D).

Thanks for the ideas. I think it would be difficult to separate them for every meal. I have to do this midday because Lois is still on 3 meals a day but it's very difficult to calm Sally down in the other room when she knows Lois is getting fed and she isn't. Sally can smell and hear food a mile off :eek:. She usually ends up getting a chew stick to keep her calm. I am also struggling to train Lois to sit and down as Sally is always pushing her nose in to get the treat!! Any ideas?

I would separate them for short training sessions. It's good for pups to have a little one-on-one time with their owners.

My Max eats in his crate and Mindy eats in her normal spot. Mindy is on a diet and Max on puppy food so I need to make sure they each get what they need. I give Mindy a greenie when Max gets his lunch meal. That keeps her busy for longer than it takes Max to eat.

LovesCavaliers - that's too funny about Dan and the kong because Mindy has never been interested in a kong (or any other toy) until we got Max. Now she has her own kong - and plays with just about all of the toys we have.

upside down bowl

Hi :)

You could also use a regular stainless bowl and turn it upside down so that the dog eats out of the under side. It then functions in a similar way to the "slow down bowls". That could work.

They make those bowls in stainless now. I am going to get one for sparky. He's from a mill so he inhales his food. It's probably gone in under 10 seconds.

He's had tummy issues yesterday and I was reading that one of the causes of gas is eating too quickly so I am looking to put an end to this also for his own good.

I've got to find the link for the bowl, but PM me if you are interested and I'll send it to you. I'm pretty sure it is a US store.

I had never heard of the plastic vs. stainless steel thing for dog's noses, so I googled it. The things I learn on this forum . . .

ever since i got my second cavalier i've had the same problem. they sell a stainless steel ball to put into the food dish - i got mine from amazon.com. the more aggressive of my two dogs follows me into another room with his food dish and i close the door behind him. then i put the female's food dish down in the normal spot. this works for me. i have to watch him w/ treats as well - he'll wolf his down and make that horrible noise you described!

I had never heard of the plastic vs. stainless steel thing for dog's noses, so I googled it. The things I learn on this forum . . .

Yes I found out that out when Holly lost the colour in her nose and they reckon it's from feeding in plastic bowls. I changed to ceramic but she still has a dull looking nose so who knows!!!!

Since Lois arrived Sally has started eating her dinner that fast that she starts making this weird noise which I think might be 'reverse sneezing'. It's quite frightening when she does it because it sounds like she's choking but it stops after a few seconds. I think i need to slow her down when she is eating. I remember a while ago I saw some bowls that help them to eat slower. Does anyone know where I can buy one in the UK? I have also tried feeding her from a treat ball but would like a bowl.

You could just scatter her food. That would slow her down and make her sniff for her food :)

Back to that sneezing thing though. My female does it regularly. It happens when she gets over excited and sometimes after she eats. She makes a weird honking sound. It only lasts about 15 - 20 seconds.

On training -- it is virtually impossible to train one dog while others are free in the room. It is good, as Cathy says, for them each to get daily, separate time where the other dog goes to rest in another room or is crated. It is good for the 'waiting' dog to learn to be on their own. So you get two benefits.

Rather than bowls, I'd consider using a treat ball or stuff her meal in a Kong toy. Do this for both and put them in separate crates -- it will keep them busy for ages and is mentally stimulating and pleasurable for the dog. :)

Check out this website http://www.brake-fast.net/ i know it's an American website, but they may ship to the the UK. I used it for OZ and it really slowed his eating down. I did become concerned however because after he ate, he would carry his bowl around and then chew on it. This was the time in which there were a lot of things made in China with lead in it and I didn't want Oz to be hurt, but he really loved his bowl. I actually talked to the owner of the company (they were a lot smaller then) and he sent one of each size of his bowls off to an independent company for testing and then sent a copy of the results to me - no lead. He said his own dogs use them. I thought it was a very responsive thing to do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I tried a bowl like that and my Cavs like them at all. They had a hard time eating around the posts and every once in a while they flinched like they hit their teeth on it or something. The stainless steel ball has worked much better and it does slow them down a lot.

Back