• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A scary morning...

qwickkertje

Everything was normal as usual.. I got up, let the dogs outside to potty, showered, set the breakfast table, woke up David, fed the dogs,...

Then when David came downstairs and went to say hi to the dogs (cause yeah well they don't accept anything less
icon_wink.gif
), who were behind their babygate Qnotje and Qwebble were jumping around as usual until all of a sudden Qnotje started retching but nothing came out.. I almost instantly started panicking and David grabbed her and started to try and calm her down.. She calmed down quite fast but her tummy was still very tense..

I thought of a bloat.. and I got scared to death.. In a matter of seconds I was on the phone with our vet (before 7am in the morning
icon_eek.gif
) and she thought of a bloat as well but by then she was calm, still a bit shaken up and she told us to see if she would drink.. So david took her to the water bowl and she drank a bit.. She started waggling her tail again and wanted to jump again, we tried to keep her calm and I talked to the vet a bit longer.. She told us that it barely ever happens to smaller breeds and that she might have also just was a bit nauscious..

We were supposed to go to work but I didn't want to go cause I was so worried about our little girl.. So in the end we decided that I would go for work to make sure everything was alright and then come back home to work from home today.. That's what we did, David stayed home until I got back..

By now she's her normal crazy self again (she even destroyed a christmas ball already) but I'm glad I'm home today so if anything seems out of the ordinary I'll grab her and put her in the car and take her to a vet..

Seeing something like that happening gives you quite a scare and even though they weren't really playing or doing things out of the ordinary, I'm going to split her food up again and give her even smaller portions for a while.. And when she gets her breakfast, I'm going to get her a bigger bowl and add a ball in there so that she hopefully will eat a bit slower so things like this won't happen again..

We don't have an emergency vet over here.. there is a clinic but thats a 20min drive as well.. Our vet lives about 50mins away but we can always call her and if there is a real emergency I have some local vet numbers around whom I would just wake up I guess
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm so going to cuddle all of them extra tonight.. Giving mommy and daddy such a scare.. I'm also so glad that tomorrow is our last day of work this year (and only half a day, and in the morning the cleaning lady will be around) so that we can keep a close eye on her for a while..

Hope she will be ok now...our babies are terrible for scaring us.

Gus was eating a biscuit this morning and started to choke halfway through. I was panicking...meanwhile Pippin (greedy gut) was trying to steal the other half of Gus's biscuit from the mat and Gus was looking more concerned about that rather than the fact he was choking!!!

Thankfully Gus was ok and coughed it up.
Keep us updated on how your baby is today.

So far she seems fine.. but I just can't stop worrying so I think I'll just call the vet again and make an appointment for her.. Probably more for me then for her but I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight if I don't have her checked out...

Hopefully the scare is over and she will be fine. I hate it when they scare you like that! Could she have had a little something in her throat...a hair or something that just got her gag reflex going? Maybe it was something like that.

We took her to the vet and it appeared to be some kind of stomach bug.. She got a shot (and was VERY brave with that!!!) and after that she became herself again.. Jumping like a mad man, running around like a fool.. In short, just the way we like her best ;)

She's doing a lot better now, gets her meds and some light food for the next couple of days :d

So sorry she gave you such a scare, and very relieved she's ok again now.

You did the right thing getting her checked over - it's always best to be sure.

Gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) - the medical name for bloat - is rare in small breeds, but it does happen with Cavaliers, so it's something we should be aware of.

There's some information here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1571&aid=402

Hugs for you all, and cuddle everyone close

Back