• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leading Edge Radio 4 yesterday

Jan Bell

There was a piece in the middle of BBC Radio 4's Leading Edge last night on genetic problems in pedigree dogs.

I found it interesting as they were talking about an unspecified breed with eye problems where the breeders themselves took the problem in hand and were allowed by the KC to cross breed and back cross in order to get new genetic material into the breed. Does anybody know anything about this? I don't know which breed was being referred to but I would like to know.

I am discouraged the reaction by so many Cavalier breeders to problems within the breed, and am heartened that there are breeders from other pedigree dog breeds who are prepared to take the bull by the horns and do whatever is necessary to get their breed into a healthier state.

I'm not suggesting that this is a way forward for Cavaliers (I don't know enough about cross breeding/back breeding). I would simply like to see the "top" breeders setting the example of scanning their dogs and following the recommended protocols for a start.

So not a broadcast specific to Cavaliers, and quite brief, but interesting anyway. It can be access for the next 6 days on the BBC website.

Hi Jan

And thanks I will tune in later and have a listen ,even though I am not a breeder all bits of information help broaden ones mind .

Back