PDA

View Full Version : Fosters! The Xmas run begins

Karlin
20th December 2008, 03:00 PM
Have two cavaliers needing to come into rescue that also need foster places over the holidays. I hope to get them into homes this week or next, but this may not be possible given the time of year. :eek: Both males.

TwinkleToes
20th December 2008, 07:58 PM
where are the 2 males that need fostering ? Im in Wales.

Ilbster
21st December 2008, 12:41 AM
We are home over the hols and would be happy to help for foster and want to speak to you about adopting a second baby to add to our family. Please let me know. The dog needs to be friendly to a female cav and a 1 year old boy (he is well used to our Sassy). Please phone me.

Karlin
21st December 2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry should have said -- all these are Irish dogs so can't go as far as Wales but thanks for the offer. :)

Prince, the tri, would not be suitable for a home with a baby. Generally, it is very hard for me to know whether dogs will suit a child that young unless they have come from a home with a baby and/or very young children, and most have not. Like most in rescue, I am generally very cautious about homing into homes with kids under 7. Two dogs are a lot of work with very young children at home and the dogs and child need constant supervision/control on interactions. As well, the highest rate of returned dogs and failed homings I get come from homes with kids under 7, and in particular the few I have tried with kids at toddler age, so I recommend waiting til the child is much older. But there are very occasional exceptions.

However, in general, I know how much time my two cavaliers took up when I only had two dogs (and no kids at all) at home so I find most people tend to underestimate the involvement and soon find that will not be able to provide the time for both very young children and dogs -- and the dogs tend to be the ones, obviously, that end up out in the garden all day as a consequence of there not being enough tome to give to all. Many of my rescues come in from such situations where the family cannot cope with both dog(s) and kid(s) often with a dog now terrified or aggressive towards kids, especially toddlers. This would be a pretty general policy and viewpoint across rescue and across many breeders as well, so it tends to be born of long experience, not being overly fussy or unfair -- we just have to make choices that we feel are best for the dogs and also make running a rescue workable as it is all in my case, my 'free' time (such as it is). People in rescue are always trying to avoid returned dogs as this is hard on dogs and family and takes up a great amount of time for the rescue people as the dog has to be totally sorted all over again as if from the start, and tends to come back more unsettled, having been bounced in and out of a home, hence I am pretty firm on not placing dogs into homes with really young kids. Keep in mind too that a one year old is far less work and far less likely to get into real trouble with a dog interaction gone wrong then that child is going to be in the next 3-4 years so in general I think it better to go through that period with the child and then get a second dog rather than before that huge challenge arises. :thmbsup:

sins
21st December 2008, 06:09 PM
If you need any help from this end of the country, just give a call! Hopefully there won't be too many needing homing over the holiodays.
Sins

cecily
30th December 2008, 07:37 PM
bit late replying, but we're home all during the holidays, until next wed. Although I'll still be home after wed. of course, I'll just be back to work :(

Karlin
31st December 2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks all; I have two dogs coming in in January I think, and another also needing a home... I told people I could not take them right before Christmas though :rolleyes: so they stayed with their families at least for now.

Over the weekend I will assess where things are.