PDA

View Full Version : Night Duty with Cassie

HollyDolly
21st December 2008, 03:55 AM
Let my 15 year old Cassie out for last visit to the garden, she came back in and all of a sudden her head went on one side, her back legs started to wobble, then she fell over. My heart was in my mouth when I got down on the floor with her, she then tried to get up but fell over again and her eyes started to move up and down realy fast. Emergency vet has diagnosed vestubilitis, and only time will tell if she fully recovers. The vet said it is like a stroke but because the eyes are darting up and down it is more likely to be a balance problem. Poor little girl was realy distressed but has settled a little now so I have got the spare duvet out and will camp on settee. Vet said they usually recover in 2 to 3 weeks but can be left with a head tilt.

brotymo
21st December 2008, 05:16 AM
oh, no, so sorry you are having to go thru this with her. I hope she makes a full recovery. I will be thinking of you.

hbmama
21st December 2008, 06:55 AM
Oh, so sorry little Cassie is not doing well. Hopefully she will be on the mend soon. :xfngr:

Ejay
21st December 2008, 07:55 AM
Oh no! poor Cassie, i bet that was a horrible shock! hope you managed to catch some sleep on the sofa and that Cassie recovers well x x

diddy
21st December 2008, 02:17 PM
So sorry to hear about little Cassie Its awful when our seniors are suddenly unwell. I hope she will soon make a full recovery, but in the meantime we will be thinking of you and rooting for her.

Mindysmom
21st December 2008, 04:35 PM
I hope Cassie makes a full and quick recovery. How scary for both of you.

Margaret C
21st December 2008, 05:04 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Margaret C

sins
21st December 2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry to hear that this has happened to cassie, she's been through enough lately. Hope she recovers from this setback,I know you'll do all you can to make her comfortable.
Sins

Karlin
21st December 2008, 06:22 PM
Fingers crossed here for Cassie; what a frightening experience to go through for you. :flwr: Le us know how she does.

Love my Cavaliers
21st December 2008, 07:42 PM
Someone else posted this website on another forum a while back. It's a basic overview of vestibular disease in dogs - sounds like what Cassie has been through. This article says that they also usually recover in about 2 weeks. My Riley has a head tilt from SM and related vestibular problems. It's actually pretty cute.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It has to have been terrifying. Keep us all posted on her recovery.

merlinsmum
21st December 2008, 07:57 PM
Hope Cassie feels better soon:paw:

Brian M
21st December 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi HollyDolly

I do so hope Cassie makes a full recovery :),there seems to be an awful lot of sad stories recently.:(

Best wishes and I hope you dont have to camp downstairs too long ,which of course will also mean Cassie is better.:)

pippa
22nd December 2008, 09:27 AM
Oh dear sorry to hear this, hope cassie is feeling better soon.

*Pauline*
22nd December 2008, 10:56 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry. How is she doing now? Is she ok walking? Bless her, that must have been really scary. :hug::hug:

Cathy T
22nd December 2008, 04:48 PM
Poor little Cassie. Must have scared both you and her something awful. Hope she's feeling better.

Nicki
22nd December 2008, 05:10 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to read this, it must have been very scary for you both :(

I do know of a Collie that had vestibular disease and went on to live for many more years, just with a bit of a head tilt.

Hoping that Cassie is doing ok - it's so hard when they are older too, and find it more difficult to get over things.

Hugs to you both. :flwr:

Sue.k
22nd December 2008, 05:21 PM
Poor Cassie, I hope she makes a full recovery

HollyDolly
22nd December 2008, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone and thankyou so much to all the well wishes for Cassie.
I am delighted to report that she seems much better now, what a trooper she is.
I cannot believe how sudden this attack came on, but after searching the web for info on Vestibular disease it can happen. The frightening part about it is that many owners whose dogs go through this have them PTS:eek: and although under no circumstances would I allow any of my dogs to suffer Hubby and I came very close to doing just that. Anyone seeing her today would find the recovery incredible after witnessing what she was like Saturday night. Nursing a dog with Vestibular disease came be very hard because they find drinking and eating very difficult, to them the world looks upside down, NOT Cassie, Bless.
Thanks again for the support, when posting in the wee small hours of saturday night Sunday morning it was so good to know that I was sharing this with someone, Hubby is very good but sometimes having other cavalier lovers out their realy does help.
May you all have a healthy, peaceful and wonderful christmas, my thoughts go out to all of you with poorly dogs and all those who have lost their beloved pets, and hope 2009 sees better days for them.
Love Nanette xxxxxxxxx

Mindysmom
22nd December 2008, 07:36 PM
That is wonderful news and I'm glad Cassie is doing well.

*Pauline*
22nd December 2008, 08:10 PM
That's great news Nanette, I've been thinking of you both all day. When you are up in the early hours like you and I often are, you can always email me and we can have a chat. Try hard to get some sleep tonight dear. Lots of love xxxxxxx :hug:

Nicki
22nd December 2008, 09:05 PM
Oh that's fantastic news, so pleased for you :D

Hope you have a very enjoyable Christmas :flwr:

Brian M
22nd December 2008, 09:59 PM
HI

Well done Cassie and of course Nantte.:)

diddy
22nd December 2008, 11:33 PM
Nanette, I was so pleased to hear that Cassie is recovering well. I have been thinking about you both. You must be over the moon! :). Have a lovely Christmas.

Cathy Moon
23rd December 2008, 12:40 AM
You and Cassie have been in my thoughts all day - I'm so relieved to read your post about her improvement this evening. We'll be thinking of you and sending lots of love and positive thoughts to Cassie. I'm so glad you read up on the illness and she is on the mend. Bless you and have a lovely Christmas with Cassie!

MadPip
26th December 2008, 07:38 PM
Just catching up with this thread - I hope Cassie is continuing to make a good recovery. :xfngr:
My friends Collie had this when he was 6 years old, and he's had a head tilt ever since, he's now 12 years old, and apart from a bit of arthritis in one elbow he's as fit as a fiddle. They used a bioflow magnetic collar on him which straightened him up a bit and stopped him getting stiff after long walks. I'm not sure if it would work for every dog though and they're quite pricey.

Take care

Jasperxxgabby
31st December 2008, 04:21 PM
Just read this now, how frightening to see Cassie fall ill in this way. I am so glad to read she has improved, how is Cassie doing now? :hug:to you and Cassie.