• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

seasons greetings and help please

Ciren

2 questions, best wormer around and best place to buy them pls?

also she has been a bit achey with her hind end. vet says nothing obviously wrong but she recommended giving her glocousamene?? i know its not spelt right but could someone please tell me how it is spelt :D

on a side note is it worth giving her cod liver oil?

Hi Ciren

Drontel and Vetuk and I agree with the achy thing you can also get them from Vetuk.There are a couple of things I need as Daisy has the trots again ,she sleeps all day and howls all night ,oh well been there lots before not too difference between two and fouf legged kids.

Best Wishes

Wormer

Drontal is great stuff - I use it on my lot and any other dogs that come through the door. It can be gotten in vet surgeries and chemists.

I have only ever use glucosamine (or heard of it used) for arthritis, hip problems etc. Is this the use you are referring to using it for? Some dogs reacat brilliantly to it and others it makes a neglegable difference in joint mobility and comfort. It is worth a try though. Royal Canin and Hills have a few foods that contain it, thus no need for extra supplement (handy!).

I don't recommend cod liver oil for dogs (it deaminates (breaks down) badly in the liver), fish oils are much better if you want to go down that route. They help with joints and are great for coat, skin and such. They can be bought in liquid or capsule form in health food stores, some good supermarkets, chemists etc.

Hi lorebringer

Did not know that about cod liver oil I give my three a Dorwest cod liver oil capsule every night and a squirt of Kronch salmon oil on their meals .On the Dorwest container it states -A good source of Omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamins A & D ,essential for the absorbtion of calcium to maintain strong healthy bones.Assists in the maintenance of general health including helping maintain mobile and supple joints and a healthy heart and circulation ,particularly valuble in winter months.

Is that just sales blurb and are they doing harm your comments would be appreciated

Cod Liver Oil

Hi BrianM,

The main concern about giving cod liver oil to dogs (or to any animal) is the Vitamin A content. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, which means it is stored in the body. Once the body gets its RDA (recommended daily amount) it does not need more and exces is stored in fat cells and various organs. Vitamin A is not gotten rid of by the body quickly thus a build up can take a while to clear.

Oversupplementing dogs in Vitamin A means there is a constant build up in the body and the vitamin can become a problem within the body (as opposed to its original function - a benifit to the body). The liver is the primary point at which the body deals with toxins and any Vitamin A toxicity will be dealt with here (along with kidneys), but unless there is a mega "overdoes" of it toxicity levels are not too much of a worry. Problems that can arise due to "overdose" are bone and muscle issues.

As far as I am concerned, if a dog is getting a balanced diet (and many of the food out there already have plenty of when they need) there is no need for supplementing any vitamins. I have found (from experience) that giving dogs cod liver oil everyday tends to give them dodgy poos anyway so I don't do it. If I want to give my dog Omega fatty acids then I would opt for fish oils as opposed to cod liver oil. The likelyhood is that your dog is getting plenty of what they need in the food you are feeding and the extra Vitamin A is not doing any good at all.

(I hope I explained it ok to you - I'm horrendous at explanations!)

glucosamine is the stuff she was on about, she said the dip in her hip was a bit shallow. she said there was nothing they could do atm but the stuff might help.

i gonna get that stuff and sort her wormer out when we get the car in the new year.

I would not give cod liver oil for the reasons stated, but fish oil or salmon oil is a good choice.

Dogs respond very well to veterinary arthritis formulas containing greenlipped mussels, if you cannot find the right dosage of glucosamine for your cavalier.

Our vet has prescribed Panacur for worming.

Glucosamine on it's own does not work as well as when chlondrontin (check spelling) is added.
Dorwest herbs available on line is one of the best suppliers I know. My Cassie has been on them for 5 years and I realy think they have helped.
http://www.dorwest.com/

Back