PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Four gorgeous cavaliers in Missouri shelter!

tara
26th December 2008, 11:28 PM
This is really strange. There are 4 beautiful, young cavaliers in a Missouri shelter. The shelter's website says they are a "no kill" facility, but there are over 200 animals needing homes at this place! The two ruby girls appear to be litter mates as they have identical birthdates listed. All four dogs have their exact birthdates listed, as well as information about their personalities, which makes me wonder if this was a backyard breeder dump.

I've tried to call the shelter a couple of times today, but can't get an answer. I've also sent an email inquiring about the cavaliers. Hopefully they are in some type of foster care rather than in the shelter. I'll let you all know whenever I receive further information. Here are their links:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12669407

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12669444

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12669391

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12669423

mag88
27th December 2008, 04:07 PM
Have you heard anything from the Dogwood Shelter? I also emailed them and have not heard anything. I would like some info. on the pups but am at a deadlock....:dogwlk:

Mom of Jato
28th December 2008, 09:57 PM
All 4 of them are really beautiful. They look well cared for- I hope they were not just dumped off.
:xfngr: they find loving homes soon!

tara
29th December 2008, 02:27 AM
I was told there were TWELVE cavaliers that this breeder wanted to surrender to the shelter. The shelter only had room for four. I've tried calling and emailing a few times, but haven't been able to get anyone on the phone or an email response. I'm going to call again tomorrow and try to find out more information. Lucky Star is willing to take all twelve dogs, including these four at the shelter. I'm going to try to get the breeder's information so that she can be contacted. Hopefully she still has the remaining eight dogs and will be willing to surrender to rescue.

I'll keep you informed as I learn more information. This shelter is in the Ozarks, which is a good 10 hour drive from where I live. I would love to be able to check on these dogs myself, but I'll keep calling until I learn something. Lucky Star is ready to go as soon as I have contact information. They have also contacted the shelter about the four cavaliers posted.

tara
30th December 2008, 03:11 AM
I talked to a woman at the shelter today. She said all four cavaliers are "spoken for," and that the shelter was working with the breeder to help her place her remaining dogs. I told her that I knew of a breed rescue group who was willing to help, but she said the shelter did not need assistance. Hopefully these dogs end up in good homes:xfngr:

rhiannasmom
4th January 2009, 03:34 PM
Anyone have an update on the twelve other cavs that the shelter couldn't take in?

tara
5th January 2009, 01:40 AM
I have been in contact with the shelter on the other dogs. Unfortunately, the shelter is not willing to give me the breeder's name or I would have contacted her on behalf of cavalier rescue. I was told that the four dogs in the shelter had been altered prior to adoption, which is of course good news. That is my concern with the other dogs this breeder has -- there are a lot of mills around that area and I sincerely hope the remaining dogs are altered and go to pet homes.

I'll let the board know should I find any additional information.

Karlin
5th January 2009, 01:00 PM
Please do not publicly post the names of any breeders.

It would be normal for a shelter to refuse to divulge information on where surrendered dogs have come from. The original breeder has a right to privacy and seems to have taken a responsible approach with surrendering these dogs. :thmbsup:

To be honest I think it a good idea to not pester the shelter. They are doing their job and many refuse to give dogs to breed rescue because they feel, often rightly, that they can rehome themselves and that breed rescue only wants to take out the easily homeable dogs. Also often several people contact them all on behalf of breed rescue, and most rescues and shelters are very hard pressed and don't want to have to take time to respond to a range of different people.

It is really best to refer any concerns directly to breed rescue to let them go to the shelter rather than for individuals to call and if for some reason club rescue are not interested in acting or unable to, then perhaps -- IF you have definite plans for where the dogs would go and how they would be managed and will put those resources into action -- contact and politely offer help ONCE to a shelter. In the case of a kill shelter than obviously there's some urgency about organising help.

:thmbsup: