• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

WARNING Keep your dogs on a lead around pond this weather.

Jasperxxgabby

This is a hard and horrible post to write at this time for me but keep your dogs on a lead around ponds this weather. This afternoon on her walk Gabby ran onto a pond which was frozen and she fell through the ice, the experience was so horrific to witness, and I cannot go into detail about it but I guess you can imagine. I guess it lasted all of 20 mins and I can't put into words the gratitude I feel to the man who saved her. Now I am left with the reality that something terrible could have happened to this man.

Gabby was rushed to her vets. She had hypothermia, her circulation is poor but steadily improving, her lungs are wheezing and she has a discharge from her nose. I can phone later to see how she is doing and I hope that she will be home tomorrow.

This walk is the same route we take every day at least once, and just after the pond I always put Jasper and Gabby back on lead because the road is sight. I never dreamed in a million years she would have done this and guilt is just one emotion I am feeling now along with stupidity.

I will probably not take that route for some time now, and I will no longer leave them off lead. Watch your babies around ponds and take care.

Oh my goodness, thanks for the warning, how very frightening. You must be a nervous reck now. I do hope Gabby will be ok, keep us posted. Thank goodness that man saved her. :hug: :hug:

Oh my gosh. What a horrible thing to witness to your baby and I can't imagine the pain you were in watching it. Thank goodness that man was around and what a guy he was. Now that the incident is over you are feeling the guilt etc. Kind of like when somebody dies but you have nothing to feel guilty about--you would never ever hurt your babies intentionally and you made a simple mistake--anyone of us on here could have done the same thing. Your baby even knows that and heck you were out there in the cold walking her and she has a wonderful "mum" so pat yourself on the shoulder. I am praying for a fast recovery :xfngr: for your baby and again don't be so hard on yourself.

how terrifying but you cant blame yourself its so easy to see how this happens with children aswell
:xfngr: she gets better real soon, what a lovely man that helped save her think you'd better get him a stiff drink:)

I'm so glad she sounds like she is OK and can only imagine how traumatic this was to watch and feel so helpless. That is really a freak accident but the warning is a good one. Don't blame yourself; how would you have known she'd have done this or that the ice would be so thin in that area? How kind of the man to help her. :flwr:

You must have gotten an awful fright, but don't blame yourself :hug:
Thank goodness that kind man saved her, I hope she makes a speedy recovery :flwr:

Oh no that was so scary for you :eek:

Bless that man, he was so brave and thank goodness both he and Gabby are ok.

A very timely warning to us all - sadly sometimes these things do not have such a good outcome. :(

This happened here last year with a lady, her young son and their lab in a river. Very fortunately for them, a man from the crew team saw and jumped right in saving the boy and his dog. Glad your pup seems like she's pulling threw steadily.

What an awful shock youve had today, and how lucky that man managed to be in the right place at the right time! Dont beat yourself up over it, cos accidents happen very suddenly right out of the blue. I hope that you're feeling a little calmer tonight, and dear little Gabby is recovering well after her ordeal. Please update us tomorrow and let us know how you are both doing. Thinking of you.

Oh dear you must have had such a traumatic time!

Don't feel guilty you were not to know this would happen...So glad the man was able to help.

Hope little Gabby is on the mend soon.

What a dreadful shock! That man deserves a huge thank you. I hope the little darling recovers.
Sins

Wishing Gabby a speedy recovery.
It must have been terrible to stand and watch this happening to Gabby. Thank God for a good Samaritan.

I hope Gabby's ok and you too, it must have been so frightening for you to watch, accidents happen in a split second so don't be too hard on yourself it's not your fault, take care you're both in my thoughts

I did the same thing a good few years ago.

I was walking a whole crew of cavaliers, I probably had about eight or nine at that time, in a local nature reserve. It was a cold bright frosty day & I was admiring the beautiful scenery when I looked up & there far ahead of me were half my dogs, including my precious Monty & his three sons chasing ducks across the frozen lake.

There was no one else around. I was already beginning to have mobility problems because of arthritis. I knew that I would not be able to get down the bank, and I had the other dogs that would join in once they realised what was going on.

I had to turn around & walk away, whistling & calling as I went. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, as I expected to see them all disappear into the water at any time. I was lucky, they eventually gave up the chase & came to join me.

I felt sick at the thought of what could have happened, nearly every year I had read about dogs drowning when they fell through the ice, and it haunted me for a long time.

These things do happen, suddenly a safe environment changes. We cannot live our lives always anticipating trouble.

Thank goodness for your Good Samaritan, perhaps he did put himself into a dangerous situation, but it was his choice, & look what he achieved. He must be feeling really good about himself.

I hope your little girl is back with you soon, safe & well. Give her a big hug from me.

Margaret C

Oh my word, yes I know exactly what it is like to witness something that horrific. I had only just started going out with Frank my then to be husband (did not know it at the time) We were going for a walk late February with my two dogs Cassie and Jade around the lodges, all of a sudden Jade spotted a duck on the frozen lodge and just jumped on the ice and ran across to greet the Duck. Yes you guessed the ice broke and Jade disappeared under, Frank started stripping his clothes off when the ice started to crack on the surface and up popped Jade who then managed to climb up onto solid ice,do not ask me how but she then ran across the ice back towards us. Frank scooped her up in his arms and wrapped her in his clothes and all was well. I knew then Frank was the man for me, walking back to our house with him showing nothing but his underpants was all it took for my heart to melt.
I hope all goes well with your baby, sending thoughts and hugs.

Oh my gosh....how horribly scary!!! I'm praying Gabby will be okay. God bless that man who came in to save her. We don't have ice here but not something I would ever have thought of.

I am so sorry this accident happened to you today. How very frightening! Thank goodness there was a kind man nearby that could help you. I'm glad you posted this warning to the rest of us- I never would have thought about the danger. I hope Gabby is feeling better real soon. Take care. :flwr:

oh my gosh, how scary! You must still be shaking. Don't second guess things. If anything, you will be vigilant about the water, you have educated many others, and perhaps, as a result, you have saved a dog or even several from a terrible fate. I hope that your Gabby is safe and sound and recovers quickly.
Hugs to you, and to your good samaritan. What a thoughtful and selfless thing he did.

How scary and frightening for both you and Gabby. Like Karlin says, you can never know when a freak accident will happen. Hope Gabby will be okay - give her a hug from me and they boys:paw:

Oh what a truly terrifying experience for you both and thank goodness that there was someone around to help you.
Hope that Gabby is continuing to recover and will soon be back home with you.:flwr:

Back