• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frontline or Advantix/Advantage

Brian M

Hi
Over the last couple of years I normal buy Frontline for both my Cavs and Cats and I generally get about 8-10 months supply rounded up to the nearest carton ,so checking today I am due to restock but I have noticed a lot of members promoting Advantix/Advantage (are they the same) which I have used once or twice in the past.
So the question is living on the Wirral in Cheshire which one should I get ,to my knowledge there are no ticks around here or none that I have seen and our climate being between the River Mersey and The River Dee is fairly neutral neither hot summers or cold winters and holiday wise nowhere to exotic just around British isles from the South Coast to Scotland to Ireland.
Your comments and reasons would be appreciated ,thanks.:confused:

My dogs were still having problems with fleas on Frontline after having success with it for years. According to my vet, it was a problem many were having with Frontline as the fleas were developing a resistance. I use Advantix here now (b/c we do have ticks) and I've had NO flea trouble at all since and it has been over a year.

If you don't have ticks around your neck of the woods, I would suggest using Advantage. I have had no problems with it, and haven't seen a flea on either dog since using it. When we traveled to tick country this last Fall, we switched to Frontline, because Advantix was not readily available when I needed it. I found a few fleas on Dottie:eek: when we returned home. Needless to say, I went right back to the Advantage, and we have been flea free ever since.

BTW, we also use Advantage to control fleas on orphaned raccoons, squirrels and opossum at our local wildlife rehabilitation center where I volunteer. We have not seen any adverse effects on the animals, and the fleas are dead within a few hours. (y)

I had been using Frontline for all my dogs forever, but this past summer Riley had an engorged tick on her. I've never had a problem with fleas, but because she got that tick I am switching to Advantix.

My vet prescribed the Advantage once when Merlin had an awful bout of fleas and they wouldn't shift.

I normally use frontline , but I don't do it every month especially not over winter as i don't like them to have chemicals on their skin for no reason - I'd like to see alive after the temperatures we had last night!

Another tip my vet gave me as the fleas were around his privates rather than behind the ears etc I put the frontline further down his back as thats were he tends to pick them up.

Fleaer

I have used both Frontline and Advantage and I have found both to work fine. Another good brand is Stronghold (the pharmacy that I get all my flea/worm stuff has started to stock it instead of Frontline) and it is supposed to cover all the skin malark and also worms (but I use a tablet for this every three months anyway), but I haven't had any flew problems so far :xfngr:

Back