• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not lasting the night

shippers

I am looking for some advice. Lois is now 14 weeks old and we brought her home at 8 weeks old. We love her to bits and she is coming on well. During the day she is hanging by the back door when she needs to go out and we take her out frequently and praise/treat her when she does her business outside but she is still not lasting the night doing several wees and poo. I realise she is very young so I still expect some accidents but perhaps some nights should be clean at her age. Lois is not crated or crate trained as we decided to train her the same way we trained Sally who did perfectly fine without a crate and was clean within 2-3 weeks of bringing her home. We are using training pads at present. I realise by putting these down we are providing a place to go but by not putting them down there would be wee everywhere! Lois enjoys cuddling up in bed with Sally so to crate her now would upset her but maybe its the only way forward? During the day she is fine and is watched like a hawk so that no accidents can occur but the night time is the problem. I am wondering whether I should get up during the night? We usually go to bed at 11pm and get up around 7am. I realise its a long time to last for a young pup. I own a copy of Ian Dunbars book as Karlin suggested and he seems to favour crate training. Maybe we should have done this from the beginning. Any suggestions?

Are you feeding her late at night? I feed mine about 6pm, then they go for a walk and they usually do their business then. I take their water up about 9pm.
Ollie was crate trained as a pup. I used to get up about 3am and bring him out to wee. After about two weeks he was able to go all night without going out. I found crate training made house training much easier, but that is just my personal preference.
She is still very young. Maybe you could try bringing her out during the night and see if that helps.
Hope this helps. Good luck :flwr:

Max is pretty much the same age as Lois. He does sleep in a crate and I have been getting up with him once or twice a night. When I asked for advice here the general consensus seemed to be that he should be able to last the night. For the last two nights I haven't got up with him when he has stirred and sure enough he has had no problem lasting the night. I suspect if Lois has a place to go it will be hard to get her out of the habit of getting up and going when the mood strikes her.

Thanks for the advice. Tonight I will not bother with the training pads and get up about 3 am to let her out. I will see how that goes. If this fails I will buy a small crate and persist with this. I thought now that she is having walks and exercising that she would be exhausted and sleep through the night. She is a very different character and is training differently to Sally but then I suppose they are all different in their own little ways. We will get there one way or another.

Are you feeding her late at night? I feed mine about 6pm, then they go for a walk and they usually do their business then. I take their water up about 9pm.
Ollie was crate trained as a pup. I used to get up about 3am and bring him out to wee. After about two weeks he was able to go all night without going out. I found crate training made house training much easier, but that is just my personal preference.
She is still very young. Maybe you could try bringing her out during the night and see if that helps.
Hope this helps. Good luck :flwr:

We feed them between 4-6pm and let them out to do their business several times during the evening. I lift the water around 8pm. I will let you know how we get on.

All three of my dogs that I got as 10 week old puppies slept throught the night the first night - and every night since - without needing to get up and without having any accidents. However, they were all crate trained. Interestingly, we got Riley when she was 11 months old, and she was the only one who didn't make it through the first night. She was also crate trained. It is interesting how unique and different each dog's personalities are though.

From experience crate training is a wonderful method, in so many ways. My pup was crate trained and has never had an accident at night. He is over two years old now, and still uses his crate. In fact he really likes it. It's his little safe place. We also have a rescue with us since August and we got a second crate for her. She uses it all the time when she's feeling uncertain, like when strangers come over. She is in and out of it all day long in fact... it's like a security blanket. I think it's important to remember that dogs don't view crates like cages the way we do (or at least they won't if you follow Ian Dunbar's advice!). I think it's a real asset to any dog's home, and as an added bonus makes toilet training so much easier. It also teaches them to 'hold it', which other methods don't do.

For the time being though I would maybe get up during the night to let Lois out. It's important if she really can't hold it that she doesn't start having accidents in her crate. I think Dougal was holding it all night by 4 months, so it wouldn't be for too much longer.

Hi shippers

I cant praise crate training enough ,having three girls they each have their own crate in the lounge and have had them since they all came as pups six months apart and each of them have never soiled in their own crate .How I started was when they were small pops we had an extra large crate and put their bedding in half and just newspaper tn the other half and for each of them within a week they were fine we then put the big carte away in the garden shed for future use and transferred them to their own crates where they are side by side in the lounge .During the day they often snooze in them all together and or swop over, my cat Ami grabs Poppy's crate in the day and sleeps in there ,plus I feed Daisy and Rosie in their own crate with doors locked otherwise Poppy would hoover up all the food.

We got Josie at 11 weeks, and she's been able to go through the night about 80% of the time. We have had to get up with her once or twice. The breeder started crate training her several weeks before we got her, and we continued with that. It's working well so far.

Good luck!

Lori

Well we have had no accidents for 2 nights now. The first night I put them to bed at 11pm and then got up and let Lois out at 3am and then up in the morning at 08:30. Last night we had taken the dogs to our friends for the evening and didn't get home until 01:00! I was up for work at 05:45 and no accidents. Lois seems to be getting the hang of it now. We're getting a new wooden floor fitted next week which will make things much better. There are only so many accidents you can continue to clean up on a carpet eventhough we have used bological washing powder its not hygienic. Hopefully we have turned a corner but I realise its a long way to go yet with the house training. Otherwise she is a little darling :lotsaluv:

Our now almost 6 month old Blenheim is crated, but still wakes up around 5:30AM. We feed her at or near 4:30 PM, pick up water by 7PM. and let her out at 10.

Since she was having a few peeing accident in house, I've started giving her a very small treat outside after she does her business. That seems to be working. Now to get her to hold until at least 6.:xfngr:

Heather R

Back