• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi, I'm a new user looking for advise

lucy2

Hi,

I owned a cavalier years ago, and i'm now ready to buy another one. But I am concerned with the genetic diseases they have developed. I don't really want to consider another breed.

Could anyone please tell me if they know of any breeders in Ontario who have MRI's on the parents.

Thank you
Michelle.

I have just lost my boy,and my family are asking when will i buy another,i am not ready yet.I guess just sit tight and do some homework to find a good breeder,they are out there.Do lots of work.We had a lot of sickness with Alfs,but i didnt know about there problems,now i would take my time.

Go to the cananian kennel club website for links to the accredited breed clubs for Cavaliers. Here is one from their site for Southern Ontario:
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=100

There appear to be 3 for Canada. Contact each one for a list of the breeders they have on file. These breeders should breed responsibly, but just a listing with the Canadian Kennel Club accredited clubs isn't by itself a stamp of approval. You then must contact the breeders you are considering and ask all the right questions:
Karlin has a couple of very helpful threads full of links that you will want to take time to read and study:

Here is one with questions for the breeder:
http://www.cavalierhealth.org/questions_for_breeder.htm

Here is one for selecting a breeder:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11335

Good luck!

One of the CKCS breed clubs in Ontario has an offering for low cost MRI scans on its website and that certainly looks like a club site to investigate. First you need to really understand the vocabulary of health concerns from protocols to COI's and how to do your own checking of pedigrees and then you need to be so savvy at interpreting what you hear. Read as much as you can at good sites so that you are comfortable with your information and never feel inferior if a breeder challenges you-after all you are looking at a comittment of years and this is about your life and your future companion's life. The Cavalier is absolutely wonderful and you want a great puppy with as good as a future as possible to have. If you were buying a new car you'd check out reviews on the engine and electical components-same idea except that this is a living,breathing, cuddly, totally devoted to you little vulnerable being who will attach to your heartstrings and never let go.:)

Thank you all. I will start my home work. I really look forward to getting our new 'Baby' I just hope it turns out well.

I was very lucky with my first and only Cavalier, she had a great life without health problems, but that was 14 years ago and I guess things have changed for this breed.

Thank you
Michelle.

MRI scans

Hi Lucy

You can check the list of dogs on the cavalier club MR listing. It doesn't have results but it will give you an idea which breeders (and pet owners) are scanning. It is up to the breeder to send their info, so the list is far from complete - but it will give you an idea where to start.

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

karen

The person asking is in Canada and the UK Club list is primarily a UK list so it may not be too helpful -- also as was noted, it doesn't show results, so anyone thinking of using this list as a base for talking to breeders MUST ask to see the certs as anyone can list a dog as 'scanned'. What matters is the results on the parent dogs and other dogs in the immediate pedigree.

Hi Lucy :) Where abouts in ontario are you? :) I am about 30 minutes east of Toronto :) Are you close?? :) (I'm always looking for more cavalier friends :p)

I have a friend who is a member on this board who is actively working on health within the cavalier community, and if anybody knew the answer to your question, she definitely would, so I'll let her know you've asked :flwr:

Back