• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slipped disc.. advise please?

Emma n Renco

Hi,

This is on behalf of my sister who has a 2 year old tri called Toby. He was running in the forest a couple of days ago when she heard a really loud yelp. He came staggering back and looked drunk. The vets sent him home after pain relief injection and pills, she was told he must just rest for 48 hours and then come back. He did rest, but has a large lump on his back now and she went back to the vet who said it looked like a slipped disc. The vet says he has partial paralysis in his back legs and hence, can't walk properly obviously. She's been told she goes down the route of surgery at enormous expense, if he doesn't improve in a few days which may not solve it or just makes him STAY STILL and only put him outside to wee but he's not allowed to walk outside for 6 weeks.... I mean HOW? he's a lively, lovely dog... has anyone ever experienced such a thing? Have any of you got an idea of any alternative treatments she can look into? She's very upset about it so I thought maybe someone could help.

Thank you for any advise you may have for her... Emma xx

She's going to get further advise over the next few days, but has only just had this vet's diagnosis today...

That sounds very strange.I'd be very concerned about the partial paralysis and this "lump" on his back.You could expect a lot of pain and inflammation with a slipped disc but I've never heard of this.I'd get a second opinion from another vet.
Sins

He is in a lot of pain, and apparently all his symptoms match a google search she did. Apparently the partial paralysis could be caused from the slipped disc trapping or affecting his nerves.

I agree she does need another opinion.... thank you

Back