• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walkies for puppies?

winstonandco

Hi,
As I posted in my hello thread, we have just become parents to a 14 week old pup. We had just started introducing him to walkies, which he loves, but I recently got a book about cavs from the library, and it said that they shouldn't be walked until 6 months old. Is this correct? We are currently walking him for about 20 minutes a day, roughly 1 mile. Is this too much, not enough? Obviously we will stop and just let him run in the house if we're not supposed to.

I have never heard of that personally - both ours have been walked since they had their initial shots. And both were trained off leash in the park around 5-6 months. We have gradually increased their amount of exercise though - at a young age we took them out for around 20mins twice a day.

Mum to Tanner 1yo Tri & Whiskey 8mth old Blenheim:lotsaluv:

I have never heard of not walking a dog under 6 months. They are fine to walk as long as they have had their primary shots. It's great to get them used to the enviorment out and about, also to help with exposure to new things and good socalisation with dogs and people they meet.

20 mins sound fine to me, if you wanted to gradually increase this that would also be ok. I you want to do so maybe start bringing him for 2 x 15 minute walks at either end of the day and then up to 2 x 20 min walks (and as he gets older maybe more), so that he does not get pooped out all at once. Puppies need plenty of excersise (and sleep!) and a good walk or two everyday is a great idea for them. Play in the house is also great to get them excersised; throwing a ball etc., so this should be done also. It also helps them know how to play nice and what is ok, and what is not, as regards playing with people and other dogs.

I don't know what the rules are, but I know that young puppies should not be walked very long because it can negatively affect their growth. I didn't walk my dogs until they were 5-6 months old, and I started off with very short walks (1-2 blocks). As far as exercise, they played a lot at home and in our patio so I felt like they had adequate exercise.

I got Princi at 8 weeks, we started walking immediately and at about 10 weeks, I started taking her into the city (Boston Public Garden) for 2-3 hour walks, I carried treats and water. She could do 3-5 miles easily. She was exposed to all the little things in her life that are necessary for proper socialization.

I have read that the critcal window is from 8-12 weeks for these exposures, she is now an amazingly well adjusted 6 month year old.

When we bought India, her breeder said no leash walking until at least 6 months old - it's too hard on a puppy's joints.

It is ok to let a puppy get used to a leash on the lawn, but not walking distances. Puppies get plenty of exercise just playing, and they will stop to rest when they need to. (y)

You might want to buy a cavalier book or get one at the library.

Here is an earlier thread about walking puppies, with excerpts from books written by cavalier breeders:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=14571&highlight=Sheila

I was told no "structured" walks with Holly until she's a year old -- for the sake of her growing joints and body. As explained to me, structured means a walk directed by someone other than the puppy on lead. Holly took obedience classes where she learned to walk on lead, and we still go on leasurely "strolls," just nothing where she is keeping pace on lead. She gets plenty of exercise playing in the yard or inside.

This advice came from Laura Lang, a breeder who emphasizes health and who Karlin has referenced here before.

I used to take Sparks on 2 x 10 min walks when he was allowed to go out & gradualy increased the walks over a couple of months, he's a year old now & goes on the same walks as my other dog & has done since he was about 8 months.

Back