PDA

View Full Version : 12 mths Male~Lincolnshire

Davy
16th January 2009, 07:56 PM
Bracken (http://www.freewebs.com/everychancerescue/dogslookingforhomes.htm) (scroll down the page)

Every Chance Rescue (http://www.freewebs.com/everychancerescue/index.htm)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/dabbie_uk/rescue/BrackenWebsite.jpg

Bracken is less than a year old and already he has been let down by humans!

Bracken is with Every Chance as he told his last owner off when she went to grab things off him. Bracken is doing just fine in his new foster home with the help of a Dog Listener but we will need his new carers to continue with this when Bracken is adopted.

Bracken has lived with other dogs and does love to play so another calm and confident playmate would be great for him.

Davy
19th February 2009, 07:18 PM
Still looking

Davy
18th March 2009, 08:32 PM
Still looking:(

tupup
20th March 2009, 09:16 PM
hia i applied for Bracken way back in jan,i had home& work check etc after a long wait. the people here insist on you following their training methods to the letter & would be they said in almost daily contact for the rest of the dogs life,to the point where if in the case of old age the vet recommended PTS you still had to discuss this with them 1st,when they said they might take the dog back if it was in the dogs interests. i eventually found out we didnt get bracken as they felt there could be food issues between him&my girl as i had said when asked about other dogs we see regularly that 1 of her doggy friends, Brodie had pinched her dentistick on a visit here & rubes had just let him. im sorry if this sounds bad i am trying not to be critical& for all i know this could all be common practise with rescue places:)

Aileen
23rd March 2009, 03:25 PM
It first time I have heard of this
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie ---Jake)

Karlin
23rd March 2009, 04:10 PM
It would be a bit excessive to insist on constantly overseeing every aspect of training. This sounds like perfectly common food guarding and is usually
pretty easy to train away from so I am not sure why, once a good home is chosen, there wouldn't be a level of trust that he'd get along fine.

It would be a shame for a dog not to be rehomed due to micromanaging by a rescue. On the other hand the rescue may not feel it has spoken to quite the right home yet for this dog. Severe food guarding where the dog has snapped can be a real issue and such a dog would not suit all homes. Basic, pleasant positive training as a puppy eliminates this problem ever even starting so it is a shame someone didn't work with him from the start. :(

Hope he finds a home.

James
24th March 2009, 02:10 PM
Having read their adoption information I think their name "every chance" is a little misleading. Many people including myself I believe would be put off by their apparently overbearing attitude, a bit like big brother is watching you.

Poor Bracken I hope that he does get the chance of a nice home.

misty
24th March 2009, 04:16 PM
Although I totally respect any rescue's right (and obligation) to ensure the long-term welfare of dogs they have rehomed, I would not feel comfortable or relaxed with constant contact/supervision from any rescue.

Just my humble opinion :).

sarahso
24th March 2009, 07:37 PM
I also asked about this gorgeous boy, and it is correct about the training and contact with the rescue. They want this training to follow the Jan Fennel to a T!

im also not suitable :neutral:

misty
24th March 2009, 08:03 PM
I've followed this dog on another forum and I don't think you're alone.

tupup
24th March 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm so glad it wasnt just me then!! But hey i even had to read the book before my home visit;) Seriously tho i feel really sorry for Bracken, i hope they find someone suitable for him soon..

tupup
14th May 2009, 12:12 AM
Gorgeous Bracken is still on the site, still looking poor lad:(

Davy
14th May 2009, 12:21 AM
yep was looking at him earlier, from what you have all have said when applying for him I don't think he will ever get a home apart from a worker from the rescue. No one can match would match what they want? :confused:

tupup
14th May 2009, 01:01 AM
I know Davy its so sad isnt it, ive avoided looking in on the site until tonight cos i knew id be upset if he was still there-that must be 5months by now.
On a more positive note tho his notes have been changed to say theyve worked on his issues:)
I just hope he finds his forever home soon

brotymo
14th May 2009, 04:16 PM
what a handsome fellow. Poor guy. It is a shame that the former owners didn't deal properly with the guarding issues. I have noticed Bandit getting more possessive of high value treats (like bully sticks), and my children told me he growled at one of them, which I wasn't there to witness, when they tried to take one from him (they didn't know what he had and was afraid it was something dangerous) and so I have been cutting some bites of steak or chicken up, and then giving him his bully stick. Then I will go to him and tell him "drop it" and when he gives it to me, I give him the chicken or steak and then return the bully stick. I repeat this several times during his time with the treat. It is helping. I told the children to never take something from him without first getting something really good from the refrigerator and doing the "drop it" trade off. I don't ever want to provoke a snap or further growl and reinforce that behavior.

hwowen
14th May 2009, 05:39 PM
Jasper will growl and lunge at other animals that approach when he's got a long-lasting treat, like a rawhide bone but so long as he will give them up to me, I don't see a problem. What normal animal wouldn't want to guard his 'sweeties?? I just make sure he's on his own when he has them, and feed animals separately as a matter of common sense.

Justine
16th May 2009, 02:50 PM
There lose.his gain.

Justine
16th May 2009, 02:51 PM
Their loss,his gain.