• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coatking and Furminator -Same ?

Brian M

Hi

The girls have been to another new groomer today on a coat recovery mission after the last awful lady ,glad to report this lady is a lot better .She actually breeds and shows her own dogs but Cocker's not Cavs so she seemed to be a knowledgeable person re my request for a Cavalier to look like a Cavalier ,and thanks to all for your guidance and kind advice on my previous post ,she did advise me though to buy a Coatking and use it very lightly once in ten days so my question is are they the same as a Furminator and if so do they do a similar job.:confused:

They are different. The Furminator is designed (at least supposedly!) to only take out dead hair. The Coat King strips out actual coat and is far more radical in its results -- you can easily overdo it and cut off huge amounts of coat! So be careful what you get and know how to use them.

Personally I think the Furminator also takes out some regular coat myself. I have one but rarely use it except on the cats. It takes off virtually nothing from the boys who have lighter coats. Not sure I like the results on Lily who has a flyaway coat. Lucy hates it so I don;t use anything like that on her. :)

I have a Coat King and love it - sorry to disagree but I find it only takes out dead coat. Once all the dead coat is out, nothing more comes out even if you carry on. The first few times you use it, it removes a lot of coat, but after that it's only a small amount unless they are moulting.

Normally I only use it once or twice a month, when they are moulting it's about once every 10 days or so.

I have the Coat King - Stripping Rake - Ex. fine (Ref. 2449)
the 20 blade one. from http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Coat_Kings.html. It's expensive but a good investment as if you look after it, it will last a long time and you can get replacement blades, although I've had mine for at least 5 years and not replaced the blade yet.

This one is actually recommended for Cockers, Springers, Schnauzers etc but lots of Cavalier people use it - even show people!! {they use it to remove excess coat from the ruff - many dogs develop a bit of a lion's mane}

Some dogs won't tolerate it at all, others are fine, so it's worth a try. It works best after a bath - once they are completely dry.

Keep it clean, with an old toothbrush and washing up liquid, that helps and stops it sticking in the coat too.

I've never tried a furminator but have heard mixed results :(

Don't do the outside of the ears though!! You can do the bit that hangs next to the neck if that is very thick, helps to stop tangles.

The furminater works best on short coats, personally I don't like it as it leaves a much rougher finish than the coat king. I have a 20 blade and a 12 blade coat king. Of the two I prefer the 12 as it brings out more undercoat. There is a knack to using both of these tools. You should never pull them across the coat as both of them will cut the top coat if you do. Always pull in the direction that the coat grows.You also need to be careful not to put too much pressure on them as they will scratch the skin beneath.

They look evil Kirsty, but you can run the coat king over the back of your hand and it doesn't leave a mark! I was really worried when it first arrived, but have got used to it now.

As Barbara says, there is a knack to using it, but it's easy to master.

It's affectionately known at the Torture Tool in our house LOL

I'm sure they are great Nicki! but I learnt to use thinning scissors from my Mum when she used to show her goldens, so I feel comfy with them, I'd be scared I'd injure my two with one of those........ especially Oakley who is not keen on being made to look like he has NOT been dragged through a hedge LoL!

I have them both and I also do Cavalier grooming for others and depending on the coat of a Cavalier I use either my Furminator, my Coat king or both!

I noticed with mine that there is a big difference.. Take Qwebble, she got spayed last spring, her coat structure changed and with the Furminator barely anything comes out, then I took the coat king and I got all the dead hair out.. With Qwick on the other hand, the furminator does the job.. So it really mostly depends on the coat structure of the Cavalier.
I must say I use the Furminator more often then the coat king though so even Qwebble gets combed by the Furminator from time to time..

they use it to remove excess coat from the ruff - many dogs develop a bit of a lion's mane}

I hear you on this! Daisy looks like a little lion. Over the past several months, she has developed a full mane, starting on her chest with her bib and going straight up around her shoulders to the back of her neck! I am not exaggerating -- it is a big, wavy ruff of hair just like a lion. It has the unfortunate effect of making her look like she has no neck! I'm not sure what to do about it.

Do you think I should try the Coat King? I've been afraid to. I have the Furminator and it takes out lots of hair on the rest of her body, which scares me sometimes, but right on the back of her neck/shoulders where it looks the worst, it hardly takes out any. I talked to a nice lady at a Cavalier show recently and she said Daisy's hair needed to be "stripped" and recommended the Coat King with a particular blade (it may have been 20, I don't remember). Since then, I've used the Furminator on her a few times, trying to get the lighter colored, long hair on her sides off a little bit. Her feathers start about 2 inches on either side of her spine and are literally 8 inches long, and where there are Blenheim patches, it looks very faded on the long parts. I think the Furminator may have helped a bit there. But it does nothing for her mane. It's not that it's overly thick or long there, it's just three dimensional and wavy compared to the rest of her coat. Any advice would be appreciated! I'll try to see if I can get a good picture of what I'm talking about.

Back