• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry eye red eye

kaytee576

Hey guys, Its me again sorry to be a bother.
I have always wondered something! Kaytee has dry eye and she has a gel added many times a day.
When I take photos with the flash on I notice how red her eyes are, all my other dogs dont seem to come out this color.
I also noticed how large one of kaytees pupils inside are (I think thats what they called?) I was thinking about taking these photos to the vet to ask what he thought but I wondered whether you thought I was over reacting? as I can do sometimes with my four legged kids.
Anyways ive added some pics and one of my other dog Margaret see the difference? :(
redeye3.jpg
redeye1.jpg

redeye2.jpg
marge1.jpg

I don't know if there is anything to it or not. I always get red eye/green eye with flash in most of my pics and have to fix it. It may be nothing. Lizzie usually has green eyes, and Bandits usually look red or white/yellow.

Could she be getting added reflection b'cuz of the gel or, if it's between applications, is the reflection different because of the lack of moisture? Those are the only things I can think of? :flwr:

"Red eye" is caused by a reflection of the flash light from the back of the eye showing up in photos. Humans usually have a red colour, my dogs tend to get a yellow colour but I have seen many colours from loads of different dogs. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the colour could be affected by the gel you are putting in her eyes or it could just be the natural colour her eyes reflect.

Of course, if you are concerned and worrying about it a trip to the vet will ease your mind.

Oliver had a bout of dry eye a couple of months ago, which cleared up, thank goodness, after a few weeks of gel and an antibiotic, so it was probably caused by an infection. One thing I do notice, though, is that he often screws up his eyes in discomfort when he is looking up at fluorescent lighting - we only have it in the kitchen at home, but often encounter it at shows, training class etc. So now I try to keep him out of it, or if he does start looking uncomfortable, put some drops in as soon as possible, which seems to ease it. Might be worth thinking about with your Kaytee?

Oliver comes up yellow in photos!

Kate and Oliver

Back