PDA

View Full Version : Agility

Mindysmom
20th January 2009, 04:20 AM
Mindy just finished up her first ever agility session tonight. I started it with her because she was so lonely when our Retriever died and I wanted her to have an opportunity to be around other animals and keep her active over the winter. Once we decided on a puppy I also thought that it would giver her and I some "girl" time alone.

I second guessed myself a bit wondering if I was just trying to deny her age (she'll be eleven next month) but after talking to the trainer I decided to give it a try. Well it's gone so well that we are going to continue on for the next session. She really enjoys it and has done everything I have asked of her.

She doesn't do anything fast and I don't ask her to jump too high but I'm really amazed at how much she has learned over our session. Just driving there tonight with her asleep in the car I had almost talked myself out of the next session thinking she was too old but seeing her tail wag as she did all the stations changed my mind again. Heck - tonight she even did jump, tunnel, jump for the first time.

jld
20th January 2009, 05:42 PM
Wow, good for her. You are so lucky that she is still so healthy and enjoys life so much.....:-p

MadPip
20th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow that's great at her age. I take my 2 (mere youngsters at 4 and 2 yrs) and they both wag their tails all the way round. The only thing I would advise is, if you don't already, maybe give her a joint supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin just as a preventative measure against wear and tear on her joints.

You'll have to get some photos of her going over a jump - I bet her ears are flying!

You've also answered a question I had, at what age will mine be too old to do agility. I guess the answer is, when they're no longer fit enough! Thank you.

Mindysmom
21st January 2009, 02:45 AM
That's a good point regarding the glucosamine and chondroitin. She already gets it in her food but I'll check with my nutritionist friend to see if I should supplement that.

Edited: I was at the vet today with Max getting his last set of puppy shots and we discussed a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for Mindy so now she has a bottle. Thanks for the advice. I tend to forget her age.