• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Agility

Mindysmom

Mindy just finished up her first ever agility session tonight. I started it with her because she was so lonely when our Retriever died and I wanted her to have an opportunity to be around other animals and keep her active over the winter. Once we decided on a puppy I also thought that it would giver her and I some "girl" time alone.

I second guessed myself a bit wondering if I was just trying to deny her age (she'll be eleven next month) but after talking to the trainer I decided to give it a try. Well it's gone so well that we are going to continue on for the next session. She really enjoys it and has done everything I have asked of her.

She doesn't do anything fast and I don't ask her to jump too high but I'm really amazed at how much she has learned over our session. Just driving there tonight with her asleep in the car I had almost talked myself out of the next session thinking she was too old but seeing her tail wag as she did all the stations changed my mind again. Heck - tonight she even did jump, tunnel, jump for the first time.

Wow, good for her. You are so lucky that she is still so healthy and enjoys life so much.....:p

Wow that's great at her age. I take my 2 (mere youngsters at 4 and 2 yrs) and they both wag their tails all the way round. The only thing I would advise is, if you don't already, maybe give her a joint supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin just as a preventative measure against wear and tear on her joints.

You'll have to get some photos of her going over a jump - I bet her ears are flying!

You've also answered a question I had, at what age will mine be too old to do agility. I guess the answer is, when they're no longer fit enough! Thank you.

That's a good point regarding the glucosamine and chondroitin. She already gets it in her food but I'll check with my nutritionist friend to see if I should supplement that.

Edited: I was at the vet today with Max getting his last set of puppy shots and we discussed a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for Mindy so now she has a bottle. Thanks for the advice. I tend to forget her age.

Last edited:
Back